This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

@Elysarian Not too bad of a deal. But depending on the server you may need DDR2 ECC FB-DIMMs.

Comment

I had an old satelite receiver box thingy sitting around and gave it away, the guy who came to pick it up gave me five free mobos two socket 370s, a slot 1, socket 462 and socket 478. Haven't tested them yet, but who cares, they were free! Also, the other day my friend gave me the guts of another old satelite receiver box, there were some good caps in there that i salvaged and a pretty well built 12v 2a adaptor.
      I can put text here?!

Comment

Re: Your Best Dumpster Finds

Not really my best scores, but still pretty good :
        - a 16Gb MP3/MP4 Player with a 2.8" touch screen. It didn't work at first, so I opened it and found that one leg of the crystal wasn't soldered. One second repair...turned it on and it worked. Quality is so so, but it does the work. The touch screen is not very responsive, but it works great with a stylus.
        - a PC Tek computer, complete, inside was a Chaintech Summit 7NIF2 (the BIOS is the same as the retail versions), a XP2600+ Throughbred FSB333, 256Mb of DDR333 (it was loose behind the motherboard for some reason), a Seagate 7200.7 80Gb, a DVD player and DVD 8X DL burner. It might be nearly ten years old, it's still perfectly usable today with at least a gigabyte of RAM and a decent graphics card.

I got some other stuff but they're not as interesting.

Comment

I got this last week, a little less interesting than the previous lot but still some good cards in there : http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...84.m1438.l2649
          So in there we got :
          - Asus HD5750 : works
          - Sapphire HD4850 Toxic : had a broken inductor, replaced it and it works
          - Sapphire HD6770 : not sure what's wrong with this one, it had a few broken components which I replaced but it didn't change anything
          - Biostar HD4850 : computer won't boot when plugged, fans spins for a milisecond
          - Manli 9600GT : same
          - Manli 9500GT : same

Comment

I just got a 3 "broken/as-is" video cards on eBay earlier this week. A PNY 9800GT 1GB, a BFG 7900GS OC, and a EVGA 7600GT. All for $21 shipped. Not sure if it's a best cheap score yet, but will see when I get them. The 7600GT has the classic "blown FZ caps" issue. Fixing that card alone will more or less make the deal worthwhile IMO. The 7900GS has artifacts. Hopefully a simple reflow will fix it. The 9800GT has no video output according to seller, so that one could be anything. Me things another one for the reflow.

Originally posted by SuperDuty
            - Biostar HD4850 : computer won't boot when plugged, fans spins for a milisecond
            Shorted MOSFET, very likely. Ceramic cap (less likely, though).

Comment

I haven't found any on the 4850, nor on the 9600GT. Though I did find the faulty one on the 9500GT and it works perfectly. I'll check the ceramic cap, but can those very small ones short a whole graphics card ? I mean, sometimes some are missing and the card still works.
              The 5750 doesn't work as well though, I get awful artefacts and instability once the drivers are installed : bad memory.

I also got another lot of older cards, mostly GeForce FX, a 6200LE AGP and a 9300GE that was shorted too. Another bad mosfet, it works perfectly now. About ten cards, for only one euro ^^ They're old, but for a collector like me, you can't beat that (oh yes, free scores : a FX5900XT and a FX5200 Ultra while dumpster diving during the week).

Comment

Scored a GIGABYTE GA-8S648FXP-RZ with I/O shield and a meager P4 1.5ghz willamette (w/ heatsink) for $6 today.

No bloated caps... but the OST's and the KZG's will be going bye bye...

(If I don't use, my buddy will).
                sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Hi all,
                  I am a newbie in Badcaps forum so Just a word of thanks for keeping alive a nice forum.

Regarding my best Dumpster find.

It was an Olivetti Programma 101, the Frist ever Desktop computer. Too heavy to lift easily. around 45 KG of solid metal weight...
                  nothing to fix there and it gave me a handsome 1200+ euros on eBay in just one week

Many other finds i will share from time to time..

Comment

My Olivetti find was in Sep 2011, let me tell you what i found yesterday in a University E-Garbage.
                    It was two Acer E35 Desktop Computers. with 3GB Ram Each, first had 1 1TB HDD and 2nd 320 GB HDD second had 1 1TB and 2nd 250GB HDD...

Holy crap both of them working... like a charm.. now i am thinking of securing A NAS enclosure and get me a 2TB NAS setup for backup purposes...

Comment

got a tv antenna,rotor,pushup mast,and icom ah-4 friday on the way home.just had to help take it down.let my neighbor have the tv ant.the ah-4 works!
                      just being in the right place at the right time!

Comment

I havent been wandering around on trash day that much lately.....I need to get on the ball I guess!
                        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                        Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                        http://folding.stanford.edu/
                        Team : 49813
                        Join in!!
                        Team Stats

Comment

Found 6 brand new Verbatim 10 Packs of Lightscrive DVD+R's for $1.50 a pop. Cartons were dented, the spindle cases inside scratchless.

Now to find some decent lightscribe software (already have the drive).
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                            Scored a GIGABYTE GA-8S648FXP-RZ with I/O shield and a meager P4 1.5ghz willamette (w/ heatsink) for $6 today.

No bloated caps... but the OST's and the KZG's will be going bye bye...

(If I don't use, my buddy will).
                            Not bad at all. I have a 2.4GHz S478 P4 I would send you for free if you decided to use it. Would be good for a file server...

Comment

not really a trash find but i went over my dads friends house, long story short he has a bunch of pc's and i noticed one sitting in the garage, i asked about it and i ended up getting it :/ its a dell gx580 that im currently using while i rebuild my main PC

its a nice solid little pc but it lacks expansion, missing the PCI-e slot and 3 sata ports, was thinking of having a go at soldering a port or three on

Intel Pentium 4 941 with a 40gb seagate 7200.7 and a laptop IDE dvd drive (i thought that was really cool, and the front fan has a 3500 rpm max speed)

its one of the toaster oven ones :p
                              Last edited by luke10050; 06-23-2013, 04:50 AM.

Comment

Recently got a 26" Sanyo LCD (rebadge model) free off the curb. Bad tab bond on the LCD panel -- easily fixed with a bit of foam and tape!
                                Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                                For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Not electronics related, but I found large pile of bikes and bike parts out by the curb. The owner told me to take what I wanted. I sold the wheels from one bike for $250 alone. I also found a 1940's era Arnold-Schwinn Admiral bicycle at a different location out by the curb. All it needed was air in the tires.
                                  Attached Files
                                  Last edited by johnboy1313; 06-25-2013, 07:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by johnboy1313 View Post
                                    I also found a 1940's era Arnold-Schwinn Admiral bicycle at a different location out by the curb. All it needed was air in the tires.
                                    You'll want to regrease every non-oil bearing... and bearings with oil plugs, oil those with gear oil or ATF.

I know my mom's 1963 Schwinn hollywood needed it... I bet that one does too. old grease = NASTY

(as you can see, in addition to electronics and computers, I'm an ameteur bike mechanic).

Otherwise, good score on all.
                                    sigpic

Comment

Scored a few yesterday:

HP Laserjet 1020 w/toner: $3 (half off, shocked nobody took it sooner). Runs well... I already have 2 working HP 12a Laserjets and a 3rd that doesn't work (an all in one that blew a fuser).

Sony SDM-HS75 LCD monitor: $6. Seems to be the best 17" 5:4 LCD I;ve seen w/o DVI. Very nice... I wish I had two so I could use it for my main rig.
                                      Last edited by ratdude747; 06-30-2013, 04:54 PM.
                                      sigpic

Comment

Found a HP Pavilion P6140A on the side of the road last month, unfortunately it didn't have any RAM or hard drive so I can't test it (I don't have any spare DDR2, the specs label said it had 4GB as stock). A strange thing about this case design is that the board is upside down (maybe it's Australian ), the expansion slots being right under the power supply.

Additionally, I found a Cooler Master RS-500-PCAR-J3 today. It's four years old and full of Teapo no less, but it doesn't seem to look that old/used despite having having a date code of 0933 on the board, and the caps aren't bloated so that's a good sign. I haven't tested it yet though (I need to take apart a working PC first).
                                        Last edited by Heihachi_73; 07-01-2013, 11:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Heihachi_73 View Post
                                          Found a HP Pavilion P6140A on the side of the road, unfortunately it didn't have any RAM or hard drive so I can't test it (I don't have any spare DDR2, the specs label said it had 4GB as stock). A strange thing about this case design is that the board is upside down (maybe it's Australian ), the expansion slots being right under the power supply.
                                          That's a nice unit

Comment

Working...
                                          X