This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

My latest freebie which came from a free wanted add i placed for broken electronics its a 15.6 acer aspire 5735 laptop and original charger the owner had removed the hard drive i put in my own 160gb one i picked up for £10.00.The owner says the laptop was slow and froze up so i took out the fan and cleaned it all out applied fresh artic silver 5 and done a fresh install of windows 7 pro 32 bit the specs are intel(r) core (tm) 2 duo t6400 2.00 ghz
    4 gb ram 160 gb hard drive so not bad at all for a freebie just doing all the updates now then i will try it out.

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
      Scored:

-4x5 Wacom USB tablet (no pen ): $2
      -HP dvd1040i PATA DVD RW + Lightscribe: $4 (yet to be tested).

The tablet is useless without the pen (which I didn't see at the thrift store where I found it)... but I figure it may come in handy at some point (or tradebait?). The DVD drive IIRC is actually somewhat rare (being PATA)... I have a similar drive already but at $4, why not?
      Guess what?

I scored ANOTHER wacom tablet... a plain old graphire. It also had the pen... which works with both tablets too. This tablet cost me $3... So for $5 over a month more or less got me two usb wacom tablets with a single pen for both... not too shabby?
      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Mega score!

Bought a Dell ultrasharp 2007wfpb for 4 bux. Yeah, $4. Works too.

Deal days for me...
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Compgeke View Post
          Recently:
          Velodyne VX10B sub. Dog ate the power cord end and apparently $3 and 2 minutes was too much effort for the people who I got it from.

Compaq Prolinea 4/25s. Upgraded with a 75 MHz DX4 Overdrive processor, 20 megs of ram and a Quad CD changer.

75 Mhz with 20 MB of RAM was like the upgrades I got with an early 1990s 486 PC, which comes with a 486 SX 25 Mhz and 8 MB of RAM. It was a 486 DX and the same one that I got a heatsink from Radio Shack and heatsink paste from the same Radio Shack and it was held with gravity and the stickiness of the thermal paste. I didn't find a place to clip the heatsink.
          It was the same tough cookie that was idling at least in the 160s! (F)

It was tame after sticking the tiny Radio Shack heatsink on, LOL.

It was the same one that I got a brand new CD-ROM drive on in 1999. So I could run Titanic, LOL.
          Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 06-21-2014, 07:03 PM.
          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

got a good feeling about tomorrow! 56 inch plasma TV, 22 inch acer display, Direct TV DVR with 500gb drive, general electric radio (valve, i wont get it more than likely), selection of sprint smart phones and chargers, and a Samsung home theater system with 5 DVD changer and USB host input. all at an auction that only antiquers and art buffs show up too.
            Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
              Bought a Dell ultrasharp 2007wfpb for 4 bux. Yeah, $4. Works too.
              Nice one!
              Being a Dell Ultrasharp probably means the TFT is good quality too (LG, HannStar, or BenQ).

Comment

22 inch acer, one ddwrt54gs, one wrt54g, one linksys e2000, a 2tb WD HDD (no bad sectors), the DirectTV DVR (no bad sectors, but SMART reports high operating temps) all for $55.
                Last edited by goontron; 06-22-2014, 05:44 PM.
                Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Re: Your Best Dumpster Finds

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
                  It can be good for you if you have lot of time and nothing to do with it. I have no time and too much work to do.
                  As long as you have enough time to comment on dumpster finds, I don`t think you are too busy.

Sorry folks, couldn't resist

Comment

During the closing of gateway, we swung by the store locally and I went to work. Sitting on top was a case missing it's panels. In the vehicle that went. Also grabbed various cables, modems, etc.

Getting the case home showed it still had a motherboard, psu, memory, hard disk, etc etc. Worked also. Swapped it into a alien case from newegg where it chugged along until retirement in 2008/09.

The motherboard sits in a corner while I debate what to do with it. Has leaking caps on it, many of the usb ports are down for the count. The power supply (came with the case) is interesting also. A component in it exploded (will take photos later as carnage) yet still runs. Just some of the rails are screwy on it.

I got a motherboard from a computer store near comp usa once, worked well until I was trying to put a heat sink on it, slipped with the tool and scratched the traces on the back. Instant trash. Held a 3.0 ghz socket 478 until then.

Lately craigslist has had better luck. Got a lot of systems i'm swapping parts into two of them and then it's resale time. Nice little systems to browse the net on/mild gaming and other pursuits

I'm horribly in love with a Dell E228WFP I got in the collection of systems, but I think it may just end up stripped for parts which is sad. Biggest monitor yet I have, yet so confusing if it's the CCFL's or the power board that went

Comment

Originally posted by dj_ricoh View Post
                      333,572 views omg! click more
                      Good god. Completely useless, yet so cool. So this is how pack ratting starts.. I would never give any of that anyway!

Being that members of my mom's side of the family to this day work on government projects that can't be disclosed except for bit parts (F-14 control boards, very odd prototypes such as missile launchers that ended up in the gulf war 1.0) it's hard to fully know.

I do know one family member went to see a shuttle launch which is in a binder along with the missile launcher prototypes, so wonder if she worked on a satellite payload that went on it or some components?

Information died with her sadly, but it's interesting to imagine what if!

Comment

Originally posted by C152Heavy View Post
                        OK, so ratdude747 just pointed out to me that we have a non-dumpster score thread, go figure it was just below where I posted this:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...&postcount=398

Now that I think of it there's another rescue from the office, a "Clevo" P4 laptop, no HD, good genuine XP Pro sticker though, picked up an "experienced" 80G for $20 and instant garage laptop/code reader.

Post 3 complete.

C152Heavy
                        Update:

In my first post I mentioned:

"We have a bunch more of the same Samsungs, I'm plotting the MTBF......"

LOL! More data to add to the reliability analysis. Make it one more 2220WM croaked and successfully diverted from being recycled. As usual, bad caps in the power supply.

C152Heavy

Comment

Scored a weird mouse for $2:

-used in decent shape, no logos or OEM stickers (they had been previously removed)
                          -Mostly looks like and lsusb's as a razer USA death adder
                          -very high DPI; it is very sensitive... the death adder is specc'd at 3500dpi.
                          -unlike any razer deathadder version, this one has a silicone-white scrollwheel, no LED, and no lightable logo. Also the USB plug isn't gold plated, unlike the specs from razer
                          -perhaps this was an alienware OEM mouse or something? I know other OEMs have rebadged/de-plated major brand mice before...

It works well other than being very tricky to control (even with my pointer speed all the way down). Still a score?

Edit- further research makes me think it's a fake knockoff. I noted what looks like a DPI button on the bottom which doesn't seem to do anything... Next week I'll tear it open and see... I'm only $2 in so maybe I'll get my money back in laughs...

I also nabbed what looks like a brand new gold plated DVI to HDMI cable (has plastic caps on the plugs still) for $0.99... IIRC those are somewhat pricey... they used to be from what I remember.
                          Last edited by ratdude747; 06-27-2014, 07:10 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

Picked up 3 Optiplex 360 towers, 3 nComputing X550 cards and 2 teminal boxes for the X550 cards (only need 13 more) for $15.

Optiplex towers are all 2.53 GHz Core 2 Duos, 2 have 160 gig hard drives and one has a 250. For some reason the ram and optical drives were pulled but the hard drives left.

Comment

More randomness:
                              2 Optiplex 380 towers; both 2.93 GHz C2Ds with 2 gigs of ram and DVD burners, no HDDs.

Dell Inspiron 1520, 1.43 GHz Pentium Dual-Core, 2 gigs ram, 160 gig HDD.

Compaq Proliant 1600R 6/300. Dual Pentium II 300, ??? ram, a bunch of 4.3 gig HDDs. Tried to turn it on, nothing until pop pop magic smoke. Caps exploded somewhere but no idea where.

Toshiba Portege 4010. 933 MHz Pentium III, 384 megs ram, ??? HDD (haven't checked)

And finally an EVGA X58 SLI board. No idea if it works as I might have a bad processor or it might be a bad board or both. My i7 940 half worked in a motherboard that doesn't post most of the time, and when it does work Windows BSODs with random errors and Linux gives TSC errors.

Spent $20.

Also stopped at a yard sale and helped a guy work a garbage McCulloch trimmer. Got a Homelite engine in return, no shaft or anything on it.

Comment

I don't know if it fits here but:

Bush VCR807 VCR for 15 RON,which is around $4.65.

Caps inside it?Nichicon.And they're everywhere on the board.

All I need for it now is a SCART to RCA cable so I can plug it to my TV capture card.
                                Main rig:
                                Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
                                16GB DDR3-1600
                                Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
                                120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
                                Delux MG760 case

Comment

that vcr probably needs a pinch roller, belt kit and idler wheel/tyre
                                  the rubber drive parts never last this long.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                    that vcr probably needs a pinch roller, belt kit and idler wheel/tyre
                                    the rubber drive parts never last this long.
                                    Not at all.
                                    It still works fine,I just had to take it to a repair shop because of a broken ribbon cable on the head drum(there was a ribbon cable that connected a PCB on the head drum to the motherboard)to replace it,and they could fix it.

I even brought a tape I made and it played without problems.

Other than that the only modification I had to do was replace the power cord,as the VCR came from UK,and here in Romania we use the European 2 pin AC plug.
                                    Main rig:
                                    Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                    Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                    Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
                                    16GB DDR3-1600
                                    Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                    FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
                                    120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
                                    Delux MG760 case

Comment

Oh my god. Serious problems tring to post with firefox. Really what is it with this shjt nowadys. Such a pity Opera died.
                                      This is my 4th attempt, and even copied post before attempting to upload pics. But crashed AGAIN and lost AGAIN. wtf. Really mad

Ill try again - briefly and upload pics after if I can.
                                      Taken all the heart out of it now tho......sob

Anyway pics are / were of old vacuum pump bought cheap from military surpless yard.

2nd is an old clock I made while I had the flue and stuck in for few days.
                                      Made with nixie tubes from old power meter, and fittings are swagelok taken from discarded gas chromatography machine.

Comment

(offtopic) Add Lazarus to your firefox and you won't have that problem anymore: http://getlazarus.com/download

saves forms and posts as you type

Comment

Hi many thanks. Just having another go from mobile now.
                                          Unfortunatly can't edit post now so copied here and perhaps someone could delete the last one please. Ill try again - briefly and upload pics after if I can.
                                          Taken all the heart out of it now tho......sob

Anyway pics are / were of old vacuum pump bought dirt cheap from military surpless yard, cos the guy couldn't sell it?
                                          Sorry not exactly pc related but wothy none the less.

2nd is an old clock I made while I had the flue and stuck in for few days.
                                          Made with nixie tubes from old power meter, and fittings are swagelok taken from discarded gas chromatography machine..

Sorry off topic, but is there a section here for pc software. Really had it now with ff. Even on a mobile.
                                          Attached Files
                                          Last edited by cdicky; 07-08-2014, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X