X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

this mess of stuff $10.
    coco2 $5
    ms pacman in pieces dropped off free.its saveable.
    Attached Files

Comment

^ Holy crap! Is that like every transistor on the planet there? I don't think I'd be able to use that many in a lifetime. I'm guessing some of these will hit the 'Bay as "NOS", yes?

Comment

Scored a technics SU-Z1 amplifier and a ST-Z1L tuner at carboot this morning along with a few other technics seperates.

The amp and tuner both have the power leads chopped off for some reason but worth a punt at £4.

Comment

Originally posted by mikay786 View Post
          The amp and tuner both have the power leads chopped off for some reason but worth a punt at £4.
          Indeed. Just selling a knob or two from that will get you those 4 pounds back . Funny how the parts business works.

But IMO, you should fix them if they are broken. The amp may only be 25 Watts/Channel, but it's RMS. Not some gimmick PMPO rating. With good speakers, that should be more than enough power for casual listening. Moreover, it's a beautiful-looking amp.

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu View Post
            ms pacman in pieces dropped off free.its saveable.
            looking forward to that thread, i know those boards inside-out.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
              Indeed. Just selling a knob or two from that will get you those 4 pounds back . Funny how the parts business works.

But IMO, you should fix them if they are broken. The amp may only be 25 Watts/Channel, but it's RMS. Not some gimmick PMPO rating. With good speakers, that should be more than enough power for casual listening. Moreover, it's a beautiful-looking amp.
              That's the plan, I think I might have left a matching tape deck and possibly a record bit perhaps. There was a silver tape deck there but it had the cover for the cassette bit missing so I just scanned past it. Only when I got home and googled the rest of the stuff kind of remembered.

Ah well they are there every week so hopefully they have it next weekend.

Comment

I'd love to have that amp. With the right speakers it'd be good for near-field audio monitoring for recording/editing too.

Comment

That's the plan
                  Keeps us posted if it works .
                  Pictures of the inside are always welcome

Originally posted by SteveNielsen
                  With the right speakers it'd be good for near-field audio monitoring for recording/editing too.

Indeed. Right now I am using a pair of Sony floor standing speakers with 8" woofers (SS-MB215), and even with just a few watts of power, they sound great and loud enough to shake the walls in my room a little. So you don't really need a 10000 Gigawatt amp-speaker thingy-majiga system. Just quality amp and speakers, that is all.
                  Goodwill and pawn shops sometimes have decent used speakers.

Comment

Keeps us posted if it works .
                    Pictures of the inside are always welcome
                    Probably wont have time to start testing till weekend but I couldn't resist having a quick look inside. Surprisingly it looks pretty tidy inside and out, will look as good as new with a good clean and polish.

Not busy at all inside, so hopefully should be easier to diagnose any issues.

And someone please tell me there is an easy way to remove that clip / support for the power cables? Just spent 30 mins struggling with an identical one somewhere else and just ended up tearing it out with brute force / not usable again.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Wow, beautiful units! I love the design of that era - elegant and clean. Great score .

The only thing I don't like is the STK module. I prefer all-discrete designs, since you don't really need very specific specialty parts (like those STK modules) to make it work again.

And someone please tell me there is an easy way to remove that clip / support for the power cables? Just spent 30 mins struggling with an identical one somewhere else and just ended up tearing it out with brute force / not usable again.
                      I think I did remove one before. Not sure what I did, though, it was long ago. I think you have to pull the wire from the inside the amp first and then you can remove the rubber plug.

*edit*
                      By the way, be careful around those big caps when you are testing the amp. I can see that the smaller ones don't have safety vents, so the big ones might not either. If they let go, you can get seriously injured. Safety goggles should be a minimum if testing the amp open.
                      Last edited by momaka; 10-13-2015, 09:06 PM.

Comment

those cord grips are removed by compressing them from the inside with pliers and then pushing outwards.

it's 2 parts and the cable acts as a spring to push them apart in the panel locking it in place.

Comment

Office 2016 Pro for $10. Home use program's cool. Means I now own many versions of 2007, 2010 Pro, 2013 Pro and now 2016 Pro.

I'm sure I'll get the typical "BUT USE LIBREOFFICE\OPENOFFICE\FREE STUFF HERE" but quite honestly it's not worth the effort of fighting to make something like excel or powerpoint files work with free stuff when it's only $10 for the real thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Compgeke View Post
                            Office 2016 Pro for $10. Home use program's cool. Means I now own many versions of 2007, 2010 Pro, 2013 Pro and now 2016 Pro.

I'm sure I'll get the typical "BUT USE LIBREOFFICE\OPENOFFICE\FREE STUFF HERE" but quite honestly it's not worth the effort of fighting to make something like excel or powerpoint files work with free stuff when it's only $10 for the real thing.
                            https://technet.microsoft.com/library/security/MS15-110
                            owned!

Comment

Four years ago, OpenOffice made me mad enough to buy Microsoft Office.

Comment

4 years is a long time in open-source.

Comment

Funny, I'm the opposite. Got sick of Microsoft's ribbon crap, constant upgrades and payment...
                                  "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                                  -David VanHorn

Comment

ribbon??
                                    last version i saw was pissing people off with an arogant animated paper-clip.

Comment

LibreOffice beats OpenOffice but it still doesn't compare to office 2010, 2013, or 2016.

BTW don't upgrade to 2016 if you use McAfee... I have to disable McAfee Endpoint Security to be able to open Outlook 2016.

Comment

McAfee? What is this, 1999?

Comment

McAfee? What is this, 1999?

I had the exact same thought when I read that.
                                          Who uses *any* anti-virus software these days anyways?! It's all a scam.
                                          (or maybe it isn't ... IDK, I haven't had to deal with viruses in a very long time now that frankly I have forgotten everything).

Comment

Working...
                                          X