Polaroid TDA-03211C - Strange Spots on Screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Polaroid TDA-03211C - Strange Spots on Screen

First off, yes I know....worthless old set....so spare me any of the 'just throw it away' responses.

With that out of the way, I found this sitting on the curb a few years ago....see above before responding.

I finally got around to recapping it, which made it work again....just to reveal some strange spots in the lower left of the screen. These spots *appear* to be maybe some kind of contamination got between the LCD and the backlight diffuser? I've never seen anything like this. The affected area works; IE the pixels aren't dead and the picture/video shows through....

Some pics displaying it using a video generator in 1080P @ 60Hz. Changing the resolutions does not affect this....it doesn't appear to be an electronic issue, but rather a mechanical issue.

Here it is against a white raster:

Against a solid blue raster (red & green turned off), not noticeable unless you look at it from different angles.

Color bars, which appear correct. No breaks, dead places, or any other deviations/distortions in the color bar & transitions in the affected area.

Same result with a grid.

I guess my question would be, would disassembling the panel and cleaning between the layers fix this, or is the panel toast? Like I said, I've never seen this before.....but it looks like something got in there....how would be beyond me....but I wanted to see what some of you think before going through all the work of taking the panel apart...
    Attached Files
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Re: Polaroid TDA-03211C - Strange Spots on Screen

Looks like damage to one of the polarising layers, perhaps there was some pressure in that area perhaps during transportation.

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
      Looks like damage to one of the polarising layers, perhaps there was some pressure in that area perhaps during transportation.
      That doesn't sound too encouraging.... Ohh well, I can demote this for use as a monitor for a security system.....
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

Is it moisture between the layers? I've had something similar a few years ago.
        Willing to help but I'm no expert.

Comment

Originally posted by dick_barton View Post
          Is it moisture between the layers? I've had something similar a few years ago.
          Thats what I was kind of thinking, or along the lines. It doesn't look like a typical 'bruise'. There is zero damage to the screen.
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

Most likely moisture as dick_barton suggests. Don't apply heat to the spots directly on the Screen. The best way would be to open up the Panel and take a peek. If it is moisture I would wipe it with a absorbent cloth and then with a lint free cloth.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew F. Ali View Post
              Most likely moisture as dick_barton suggests. Don't apply heat to the spots directly on the Screen. The best way would be to open up the Panel and take a peek. If it is moisture I would wipe it with a absorbent cloth and then with a lint free cloth.
              I got it apart....whatever it is, is between the glass & polarizer sheets & outer screen, not sure which layer nor do I see any way to get to it without destroying it......so I guess I can call this a successful failure in a strange way...I successfully wasted an hour or so doing this...

This is the oldest LCD TV (2007) I've ever taken apart (to my recollection), and it's built like a tank very unlike the flimsy snap-together models of today! Very well built, lots of screws, and solid & heavy compared to the modern cheap junk I seem to work on these days. Ohh well, it was fun!

I took some pics anyway....coming apart....

Parts piling up....

Bezel & screen separated....

Screen frame removed....

...and the culprit!

Nothing I could really do....so back together it went. I did take the opportunity to clean all the dust out of everything.

The DVD player works....grabbed the closest one handy...gotta love Sanford & Son!

The set is very watchable......but obviously not a good seller, not that it would bring much even without the spots.... Ohh well, worse things in life! I'll find a use for it, I do have an idea.
              Attached Files
              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
              Team Stats

Comment

Working...