X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Hall of Shame - Badcaps Photo Montage

Originally posted by coccolino_dbro View Post
    My LG XC12 micro-hifi system was acting weird lately (sound from only one speaker) so I opened it to check. Found these little two Honsing gems inside its psu.

One is obvious, the other is bulging also badly on top and on the circumference. Weird thing is I haven't found anywhere the missing cap body, and the unit didn't seem to be opened before, still had paint on some of the screws
    Wow, looks like it really popped!

I've seen these "Honsing" caps before, the vent indentations look too shallow ... no wonder why the one cap burst instead of venting like it should!

-Ben
    Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

It seems that way, but where did the cap's body went lol? The cap didn't just went bad now, I had the system from 2011, I never opened it before, so it seems it worked with these messed up caps since then. Tomorrow morning I'll replace all caps in its psu, to see if the speaker problem, that started a few weeks ago, is related.

Comment

Originally posted by coccolino_dbro View Post
        It seems that way, but where did the cap's body went lol?
        To capacitor heaven?

In all seriousness... wow, those Honsing caps must be quite bad quality to go out like that. Maybe they should be called to "Hosing" (as in, ruining the equipment they are put in.)

Comment

Glad I found this site! Could not tell you the amount of caps I have replaced over the years with splatter found all over the inside of computer cases or other. I joined as I am having a non cap related issue.. however thanks for this post - lots of nastyness!

Comment

Originally posted by ben7 View Post
            Wow, looks like it really popped!

I've seen these "Honsing" caps before, the vent indentations look too shallow ... no wonder why the one cap burst instead of venting like it should!

-Ben
            I think LG is being a little bit disloyal to their country by not using Korean (e.g. Samyoung and/or Samwha) electrolytic capacitors - the Korean electrolytics are at least one grade higher than the Chinese electrolytics.
            My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

I think Korean capacitors are more reliable/consistent than a lot of Taiwanese caps too...I'd trust Sam Young over Teapo and Ltec

Comment

Well, I think Samwha is pretty bad as of recent. Down there with Teapo/CapXon IMO, at least their low ESR series. Samyoung are okay if you keep them cool. I wouldn't put LTEC below Samyoung, though - their performance in Delta units has proven that you can make at least some of them work in PSUs if you try. I'd put LTEC above OST and OST above Teapo if we're comparing low ESR series (OST and Teapo have proven that they can definitely fail in an untimely manner even if you treat them well). General purpose series, I'd put OST above LTEC and LTEC above Teapo, if only because Teapo bulge more, not that it means much anyway.

The only "bad" brands I would honestly put above LTEC are Taicon and Hitano, TBH (although LTEC has been operating as one of Teapo's subsidiaries since April of 2005, so maybe LTEC has gone downhill since then). I'd tie Elite/Chinsan with LTEC (Elite are out of Thailand, however). Of course they are all unreliable and inconsistent compared to the Japanese brands but even some of those brands have proven that they can mess up and very badly at that, ala KZG/KZJ. That said, at least those previously awful ultra low ESR wet electrolytics are discontinued. Also keep in mind that these Korean brands are headquartered in Korea but do have factories in China and likely adopt and use many materials from there (IE materials processed in-house), although Samwha do import their aluminum foil from Japan if you could believe that. Older Samwha and Samyoung aren't so bad - I've seen 20+ year old VCRs and SCSI devices with them chugging along just fine. Samyoung is NCC's Korean subsidiary and Samwha Nichicon's, so those things may help.
                Last edited by Wester547; 11-14-2015, 06:11 AM.

Comment

Here are three bulged Ltecs (and one that looks okay) in my Netgear WNDR3700v1 wireless router. The upper left and lower right panels are of the same capacitor.

Comment

Su'scon (guessing SG is the series) from my LG LCD monitor, 2009 mfg:

Last edited by Ascaris; 11-20-2015, 12:38 PM. Reason: Fix the image link

Comment

Does not work use attachement
                      Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                      Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Originally posted by coreAngel View Post
                        La soldadura parece bien, no de la calidad de marcas Delta o Seasonic pero esta decente.
                        (The soldering looks good, not likes the quality of delta or seasonic ,but still decent)

Un ventilador de 8cm me parece un poco chiquito para remover el calor que va a generar el PSU. Si fuera algo mas grande o por lo menos otra marca que esa duraria mas.

Pero yo lo repararia por lo menos para 200-250 vatios
                        (Still i would fix it for at least 200-250 watts)

(Y que viva España)
                        Ok, al final no la repare, porque se me fastidio el soldador, además tengo varias FSP, y de momento no me corre prisa en repararla.
                        Igualmente gracias, y por las molestias en escribir en español
                        Bye
                        Gaming pc:
                        nVidia RTX 3080 TI, Corsair RM750I.
                        Workshop PC:
                        Intel core i5 8400, Intel SSD 256GB, nvidia gt1030, asus b365-a.
                        Server:

Comment

Bad Samxom cap from lg lcd monitor:

Attached Files
                          Gaming pc:
                          nVidia RTX 3080 TI, Corsair RM750I.
                          Workshop PC:
                          Intel core i5 8400, Intel SSD 256GB, nvidia gt1030, asus b365-a.
                          Server:

Comment

Mainboard of a Philips Blu-ray player, several bulging Chang capacitors, including some ventless ones. This was one of their higher end players.
                            Attached Files

Comment

^ Ouch. Judging by those coils, the Chang capacitors above are probably filtering buck regulators - and that can't be good for them.
                              Also makes you wonder what is in the lower-end players if this is a "higher" end .

Comment

Philips is not what it used to be

Comment

Originally posted by goodpsusearch View Post
                                  Philips is not what it used to be
                                  Nothing is nower days
                                  Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

https://www.facebook.com/Telford-Tel...7894576335359/

Comment

Couple of busted OST caps on a PNY 8400GS PCI card with a completely seized fan.

Dell Optiplex 170L (Pentium 4) with bunch of busted KZG caps next to CPU

Comment

More than just a bunch every KJG is blown
                                      Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

https://www.facebook.com/Telford-Tel...7894576335359/

Comment

Originally posted by ReeceyBurger123 View Post
                                        More than just a bunch every KJG is blown
                                        I was just about to say ..
                                        Wow! XD

-Ben
                                        Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Originally posted by cruzinforit View Post
                                          Couple of busted OST caps on a PNY 8400GS PCI card with a completely seized fan.
                                          Looks like that video card was built to fail on purpose. If the bad OSTs aren't enough for you, it also has Chemicon KZG and a tiny heatsink with no fins. Oh, and those GeForce 8x00 series do have the bumpgate issue, so that heatsink is not helping at all.

Originally posted by cruzinforit View Post
                                          Dell Optiplex 170L (Pentium 4) with bunch of busted KZG caps next to CPU
                                          Interesting how Dell (or rather Foxconn?) used good polymer caps on some of these (like the one I have in my 170L) and KZG in others.

Speaking of KZG, I had one 820 uF 6.3V KZG fail on a P5GC-MX while sitting unused in storage for a year. This was back in October. Yesterday, I had a look at that motherboard again, and another 820 uF 6.3V KZG has failed again, all on its own. I guess it is only a matter of time before others bulge on that motherboard. It's had something like 50k hours on the clock, though. So not too bad overall. I guess KZG doesn't like to sit unused more than anything else.

Comment

Working...
                                          X