Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Be Quiet BQT E5-500W recap, odd sized CapXon

Hi there badcaps!

I've been reading the forums for a while, and done several motherboard/PSU recaps with success. This is my first time posting though, as I've run into a problem.

I've got Be Quiet BQT E5-500W, which is filled with CapXon KF series. When plugged into a motherboard the motherboard led turns on, but when trying to power the board on, fans will turn a little and then nothing. Measured around 5.2V on the purple cable though. I opened the unit, and most of the caps are actually fine, but there was a couple of bulging 2200uF 6.3V CapXon caps, sized 8x25. First one can be seen in second attachment picture, and another in third and fourth pictures. I used flash on my camera to see the surroundings better. What's also interesting in the second cap is, that it was covered with a rubber "sock", best seen in the last picture.

The problem here is the size of those failed caps. Now, the cap in the second picture can be rather easily replaced with 10x20 / 10x25 sized cap (witch I already have). The place near the heatsink though is so crammed, that there is practically no change of placing anything of larger diameter than 8mm.

I've read from the forums (here and here) that there's some choices for the same size (three as far as I know): Panasonic FJ or FK, and Nichicon HM. Unfortunately none on my local shops (in Finland) have them in this size, and ordering internationally is often pricy. Ebay sure can find fake caps from china with appropriate size, but that's another thing.

So then I was wondering if this 2200uF cap could be replaced with a 1800uF one? These would be much easier to get. I'm not good at reading the board layout, so I can't tell if the lower capacitance would have some effect on the behavior of the circuit. I hope you could help me with that.

Then again, I'm going to recap some 380W Antecs with a load of Fuhjyyus inside, so maybe ordering internationally isn't that bad. We'll see.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by wacce; 06-16-2012, 03:29 PM.

Re: Be Quiet BQT E5-500W recap, odd sized CapXon

Ah, the plague of CapXons continues. Those are probably for the main 5V rail. Or they could be for the standby, but causing problems when the computer tries to start - as it will draw a bit more from standby on start up.
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Don't use Nichicon HM, they are motherboard grade caps, not suitable for power supplies.

I wouldn't recommend you to replace 2200uF caps with 1800uF. I have done it successfully in the past, but 2200uF for a 500W psu isn't spectacular, so lowering capacitance even more isn't a good idea.

Comment

I can't see an issue with using ultra low ESR caps on a standby output. There will be no compensation issues with a low power output like that. If anything it will improve the longevity by installing over rated caps.

If it were the main output I would say be a bit more picky about ensuring the PSU was stable by matching ESR where possible.
        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

The psu may be squealing after that...

Comment

I'd say just try it with the HM and see if it works, since they are the only reliable 8mm 2200uF 6.3v cap in existance. The 5vsb output generally is OK with lower ESR caps, and the 8mm can size means that the ESR will be a bit higher than a standard 10mm HM. If it doesn't work, then you can recap it again and squeeze in some more appropriate replacements.
            I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

These E5 series PSUs (Fortron OEM) are an absolute painus in the anus due to the cap sizes and the caps being in between stuff.

Also, don't forget to change ALL the 5VSB related caps around the smaller of the 2 transformers (and I mean ALL of them, no matter how tiny or unimportant they may seem).
              Especially the tiny 25V 100uF which doesn't necessarily bulge, but is pretty much always bad. It prevents startup and can fry 5VSB related components due to them running hot.

I've had a really bad E5-400W once which seems to have been used with bad caps up to the point where the diodes in the 5VSB area (around the smaller transformer) were running hot for so long that the PCB disintegrated and disconnected them (bottom of the PCB was black in that area and literally turned into dust upon touching it..)

edit: the 25V 100uF cap is right next to the optoisolator in between the 2 transformers. Needs to be a good quality low-esr cap cause the fans on these PSUs literally produce no airflow whatsoever till the PSU is cooking and the fan controller decides to wake up and provide more than just 3V (!) to the fan. I'd suggest replacing the fan while you're at it. Pretty much any 120mm fan provides more airflow than those retarded "silent" Protechnic fans (MGA12012LF-A25 in my case).
              Last edited by Scenic; 06-17-2012, 04:47 AM.

Comment

Thank you very much for comments! This PSU is going for a friend, so I'll have to make sure it stays alive as long as possible

I do happen to have a black Yate Loon 120mm fan, which might be an appropriate replacement for the current fan, or I could take an orange one from Nexus 350W PSU. Also found a T&T 120mm 1.2A 12V, model 1225HH12F-PD1, seems like CFM is around 145. Any experiences on those? It seems to be from a Fujitsu Siemens PSU (NPS-230CB B).

I'll post some updates when I've done the recapping and the possible fan replacement, or if I run into any additional problems.

Edit: Oh, and the current fan is Protechnic Electronic MGA12012LB-A25, 0.3A and 12V.
                Last edited by wacce; 06-17-2012, 10:49 AM.

Comment

The current fan is rated for 86CFM, which is plenty. Personally, I just put a resistor in parallel with the thermistor, so that the controller wakes up sooner.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                    The current fan is rated for 86CFM, which is plenty. Personally, I just put a resistor in parallel with the thermistor, so that the controller wakes up sooner.
                    Good point, been reading about that several times but haven't ever done it yet. What size of a resistor should be used?

Comment

It's different for every fan controller, but I usually find out by temporarily soldering a Trimmer Pot in. Tweak it until you find a good idle speed, and once you're happy with it, remove it and measure the resistance, and find a resistor which is approximately what you had the pot set to, although be careful not to move the knob when you're removing the pot. I have one on a plug which I use for testing, so I can just unplug it when I'm done testing, and then unsolder the plug from the PCB. Since my plug is on wires, which I can have away from the PSU, it also saves having my hands too close to live components.

EDIT: FWIW, It's about 2.4K for Antec Smartpowers, but In another PSU (similar to https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...&postcount=103), it was about 6K.
                      Last edited by c_hegge; 06-18-2012, 06:14 AM.

Comment

The only way to add a resistor (or a pot temporarily) to the thermistor is by soldering it in on the bottom of the PCB, as the thermistor is underneath the secondary side heatsink and some E5's have so much white gunk in that area that you can't even see the little TO92 transistor right next to it (let alone see the thermistor pins) because it's covered in that stuff. The PSU in the attached pics isn't that bad in terms of amount of white gunk.

The attached photos are from a E5-400 parts unit.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Scenic; 06-18-2012, 09:04 PM.

Comment

^
                          I usually solder it to the bottom of the PCB.

Comment

EDIT: FWIW, It's about 2.4K for Antec Smartpowers, but In another PSU (similar to https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...&postcount=103), it was about 6K.
                            Is this for the back fan of the SP-450, which is off most of the time?
                            "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Yes. Remember, both fans on the SP-xxx are controlled by the same thermistor.

Comment

Thank you for the info and tips c_hegge!

Originally posted by Scenic View Post
                                The only way to add a resistor (or a pot temporarily) to the thermistor is by soldering it in on the bottom of the PCB

The attached photos are from a E5-400 parts unit.
                                Thanks a bunch on that info and pics Scenic!

I guess I should use some wires on the trimmer pot as c_hegge suggested, as soldering it right onto the bottom can be tricky, not to even mention adjusting the knob.

Comment

+1

Or you could also permanently wire the fan to 5V, 7V (+ to 12V, - to 5V), or 8.7V (+ to 12V, - to 3.3V). Not as neat as the above trick but it's a bit more simple.

Or if you want to go extreme: fan (+) wire to 12V and fan (-) wire to -12V for a total of 24V on the fan .

Comment

^
                                    I've done that before (24V), but it does burn some fans out.

Comment

Working...
                                    X