hp 8760w wont turn on blinking led after replacing bios

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hp 8760w wont turn on blinking led after replacing bios

hi need some help please originally the laptop turned on .but had bios password . so i removed the chip as i couldn't read it no other way . after program it was all successful put chip back on board and all i get as soon as i plug battery in is blinking white and orange led .even if i connect charger and remove battery or both. so i took chip back off and flashed it with original bios dump but still the same issue both times the chip was successful in programing there is no signs of life only the blinking led
    where do i need to start checking with multimeter ?

best regards james

Re: hp 8760w wont turn on blinking led after replacing bios

First find a new clean dump, if it didn't work then change the bios chip.

Comment

Heres another bios to try,its based on a 3MB HP update,another bios in the thread where i removed your original password,your DMI added,and clean ME added .
      Attached Files
      All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Originally posted by SMDFlea View Post
        Heres another bios to try,its based on a 3MB HP update,another bios in the thread where i removed your original password,your DMI added,and clean ME added .
        hi almost there . laptop now powers on for a split second then goes off fan kicks in . there is no display on the screen it just pure black.it now charges battery the blinking light has now gone. any ideas fink the bios file probably needs a fine tuning
        best regards

Comment

try this dump too.
          Attached Files

Comment

This one might help
            Attached Files

Comment

I recently had a virus that corrupted my BIOS on an HP EliteBook 8760w laptop. I bought a ch341a programmer and flashed the BIOS numerous times. I did not have a clean dump from this machine so I have tried pretty much every dump shared in this forum for this laptop. Some dumps don't allow the laptop to power on at all (charging light just blinks). The last two shared in this thread have "occasionally" allowed me to get into the BIOS setup. Once in the BIOS setup, the laptop soon shuts off on its own and tries to reboot even with no hard drive installed at all. When trying to boot from a known clean drive, it gets part way through the boot process and abruptly shuts off before Windows can fully boot. The weird thing is that after a partially successful attempt to access the BIOS setup is made (followed by the abrupt shut off), the next time I try to power on the laptop, it just power cycles the fan and lights but does not try to boot at all which causes me to have to keep reflashing the chip.

I can't imagine that the BIOS virus/malware corruption has survived the multiple erasing and flashing attempts so I'm thinking that the BIOS dumps I've tried aren't 100% compatible with my motherboard. Does anyone have idea other ideas to help me get the BIOS to be stable on this machine? I'm at my wit's end. Many thanks to you.

Comment

I should add that when I am occasionally able to try to boot into Windows 10 (which fails due to the sudden shutoff), I see a message that says "ME state is in recovery mode" in case this is important to know.

Comment

can u make a pic around chip

i think something around bios chip is touching, can be chip pins check again

Comment

It doesn't appear to me that anything is touching the chip but I have attached a picture.
                    Attached Files

Comment

The small cap above the bios chip looks like its dislodged.Could be track damage too .
                      All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Attached is a picture of the BIOS chip on a different laptop (exact same model). That cap looks the same on both motherboards. The BIOS on both laptops were affected by the same virus.
                        Attached Files

Comment

If the BIOS corruption was because of malware, then it's highly likely that the BIOS gets re-contaminated when the drive is read!

Albeit the symptoms sound more like the RAM not having proper contact.
                          The fan going full blast, may mean poor RAM contact.

A shut down, may be bogus high temp readings, unless the heatsink is bad or dirty.
                          Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 12-23-2019, 08:59 PM.
                          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by Diesalweasel View Post
                            hi need some help please originally the laptop turned on .but had bios password . so i removed the chip as i couldn't read it no other way . after program it was all successful put chip back on board and all i get as soon as i plug battery in is blinking white and orange led .even if i connect charger and remove battery or both. so i took chip back off and flashed it with original bios dump but still the same issue both times the chip was successful in programing there is no signs of life only the blinking led
                            where do i need to start checking with multimeter ?

best regards james
                            I have the same problem with one of the 8760w. Tested all the BIOS dumps in this thread but nothing worked.

Then I tried a chip from a working 8760w but still got the same problem. For those that are looking for a working BIOS dump... This one comes from a working 8760w
                            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                            X