Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bulging caps

Hi there guys,

Great forum, just tried recapping a functional Dell Gx745 sff motherboard (BTX motherboard and proprietary).

So... replaced 6.3V x 2200uF capacitors with new ones from Sayal Electronics here in toronto (Nichicon caps).

The computer runs fine.

HOWEVER, 2 of my new caps that I installed exhibit some mild "bulging" even before I powered up the system. I examined them all and tested them before installation with a multimeter so I knew they were at least visually good.

Are they bulging because I overheated them? Is this of significant enough concern that I should recap them again?

I used a 40watt Soldering iron to place on. Maybe should have used 40W to remove caps and 25 W to solder on.

Many thanks, I'm a newbie to motherboard recapping.

Re: bulging caps

Perhaps a close up picture would assist in our assessing the extent of the damage.
    Check its not just the plastic sheath bubbled.

use the manage attachments button, which is found by clicking "go advanced" under quick reply. (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB)

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.
    Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Originally posted by selldoor View Post
      Perhaps a close up picture would assist in our assessing the extent of the damage.
      +1

It would also (usually does) tell us if the caps are genuine. Many places online, especially ebay, often have fakes of well-known brand caps. I'm not familiar with Sayal Electronics, so I advise you to be careful.

And even if those Nichicon caps are not fake, it's important to know their series as well. Nichicon HM, HN, and HZ are the only ones suitable series for motherboard use (for larger 470uF and above caps, that is).

Comment

Many thanks for the quick replies. I have taken some pictures and included them here.
        Attached Files

Comment

AFAIK Nichicon caps don't have a K shaped vent, so they're probably fake. The K design also looks like a Sanyo type, so it's probably the same company who makes the fake Sanyos. Every Nichicon I've seen has always had a cross shaped vent (+ or x).

Comment

Those are definitely fakes.
            Nichicons always have a "X" vent on top, not a "K". The color scheme is wrong too.
            Nichicon HM/HN are black with white (sometimes gold?) text, not green with gold text.

You've been ripped off. If you bought them on ebay, leave negative feedback.

edit: oh and that's more than just a "mild bulge". These have already failed without even being used. Should tell you something about the "quality" of those caps..

Comment

thanks for the quick reply and analysis.

The good news is the system is working. It is disheartening to have re-capped the motherboard and having to do it again some time soon.

Sayal electronics is a big enthusiast electronics parts/components store here in Toronto.

Badcaps.net is obviously the place to go for genuine stuff but I was impatient and for 5 caps; they had them locally for $3.50 which is less than shipping.

Oh well, this post can confirm that as of 2012 June, Sayal electronics still is selling fake caps (as per forum member analysis/opinions).

Comment

Better recap it again very soon before they take out a MOSFET or leak electrolyte on the motherboard.

Comment

Perhaps you should go see what Sayel say and ask for your money back.
                  Perhaps they just got the order wrong?
                  If not totally happy with the outcome report them to local inspectorate.
                  Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

I will ask them about it with the member's evaluation here.

I am not sure if they will do anything about it.

I'll recap it when I can.

The thing is, Sayal isn't some fly by night store; they are actually one of the few big retailers for electronics components in Toronto with multiple retail sites.

http://sayal.com/zinc/zinc_about.asp

Comment

Also,

I agree that the capacitors are probably fake.

HOWEVER, Could I have damaged them during the installation by overheating them with the soldering iron?

Not sure why just 2 of them would have failed during install otherwise? Can I damage good / authentic capacitors during installation that way as well?

Comment

No, it's very unlikely you damaged them from the soldering.

Comment

Originally posted by kleung View Post
                          I am not sure if they will do anything about it.

The thing is, Sayal isn't some fly by night store;
                          If they are a reputable store and want to keep it that way, they will investigate. They would want to know that they are selling counterfeit goods.
                          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by mariushm View Post
                            No, it's very unlikely you damaged them from the soldering.
                            I agree.

In my experience, it takes A LOT of heat to kill good caps. I know because at the place where I work at, we regularly reflow Xbox 360 consoles and when we do that, the caps often heat up to 100+C on the machine. So far, all of them have been fine as long as the heat doesn't go much higher than that. If the board is left on the machine for very long, only then the caps would start to bulge - that's usually 10+ minutes where the whole board is at 220-230C (so the caps are probably no less than 150C).

In any case, I very much doubt your caps could have reached that temperature by just heating them with a soldering iron. More than likely, they bulged because they are cheap fakes.
                            Last edited by momaka; 06-25-2012, 09:44 PM.

Comment

They are obvious fakes, thats the sole reason they died. a soldering iron (even a good one) can't bulge a cap unless you intentionally try to... as in keeping the iron on the joint for hours and hours.

Get some real caps at the badcaps.net store and redo the recap. Every cap you installed needs to go, even if it hasn't bulged. Fake caps only belong in one place, and that's the "never buy" list.
                              sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Is that a fake Nichicon with a Panasonic "T" vent?
                                Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                                For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                                  Fake caps only belong in one place, and that's the "never buy" list.
                                  They also belong in fires and on test benches where they can be over-volted
                                  I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Just beware some of these cheap caps have really dodgy safety vents. They will vent but only at the last moment. I have had one nearly go bang on me because the vent was very tight.
                                    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                                    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

They look quite like these. http://m.dealextreme.com/p/16v-2200u...ece-pack-91279

Comment

Originally posted by Heihachi_73 View Post
                                        AFAIK Nichicon caps don't have a K shaped vent, so they're probably fake. The K design also looks like a Sanyo type, so it's probably the same company who makes the fake Sanyos. Every Nichicon I've seen has always had a cross shaped vent (+ or x).
                                        Could reverse polarity have made the caps bulge so soon? What if the counterfeiter was faking Sanyos and Nichicons and was so careless they not only got the shrink wrap mixed up between those brands but also installed it rotated 180 degrees wrong?

I'd look for a more reputable counterfeiter.

Are there any cap counterfeiters that buy rejects of Japanese brands and then repackage them? A janitor at a local Intel factory used to steal rejected CPUs, and reportedly the ones with cosmetic flaws (even crooked markings) turned out to be pretty good.

Comment

Working...
                                        X