Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The inspiron 3000 that is kicking my ass

Got it from a customer I've known for years. Said a "screw came out"

I got it and the barrels are ripped out of the plastic on one side, one of the other side but it wasn't as bad. I say it was dropped or sat on. Still turned on. They're kind of shiesty so on top of the $36 palmrest, I talked her up to $80 for labor. She gave me the cash for it, and I ordered it.

Did not fit. It looked like it had no USB ports, like the bottom plate had the ports instead.

Looking further, I found in the bios that it's a 3195. See how this one has the USB ports on the walls

Searching further, I found very little. New palmrests are expensive but I found one on ebay, and it was grey. Her laptop was white. NO white ones exist. She said it was OK.

Found a third one, which was new, I didn't see, was going to return the second one

So yay, I was putting the motherboard in...and the FFC connector actuator broke off. Tried for two hours to pop it back in, with many little tools I have, but it broke in half. I think the exposure to heat/cold made it brittle. I used everything I could think of. strips of 3M VHB to hold the cable down a few mm from the front of the connector, with a second to try to force it down on the connectors. Pushing it down hard enough the keyboard worked for a second or two.

I started to get stupid. I used my solder iron to pull the connector off. Looked online and found NOTHING. 30 pin connector with a 0.9MM pitch. Nothing. Tried to scratch the connections on the cable so I can solder it directly to the board. Didn't do it.

So, used motherboard, $139.

Going to return the first palmrest (cheapest), fucked the keyboard on the third new one. So I switched them out (pain in the ass molded plastic holders). In the end, decided just to use the second one. Something I should have done when I first did this.

since it's eMMC, I'm going to have to use a USB/Sata adapter, and a Easus pe to clone the whole drive to a laptop SATA drive, and then clone it back to the new motherboard.

It's taken so long I told her I'm decreasing the labor to $50

so like,
    $31 first palmrest (return)
    $36 used second palmrest (was going to return , now going to keep keyboard)
    $39 new palmrest, was going to, but they won't take it back with the keyboard half out

So, $244 in parts. returning the $31 so take that down to $213 or so. Minus $50 for labor, and I'm out $163. These are just estimates because I'm too lazy to look up the tax and shipping

Fucking Damnit. Why does dell have to make these little model number changes and use totally different parts. Even the keyboard between the 3185 and 3195 are totally different. I think the 95 is a 2020 refresh with a limited sell

From now on I'm going to lift up FFC actuators with a careful tool from my kit instead of my fingernail
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Uranium-235; 12-05-2021, 12:48 AM.
    Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
    ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Re: The inspiron 3000 that is kicking my ass

When you write "...the barrels are ripped out" are you referring to the knurled brass nuts stuck in the plastic ? Buy spares and use superglue and toilet paper to stick them back on.

Perhaps you're not finding any 0.9mm ffc connectors as they are not 0.9mm ?

Comment

on the hinges? With that much pressure? toilet paper???

I got a ruler. They're def. just slightly under 1mm. Used my phone (8k camera, focused in on one area, it looks like a circuit camera but, well, moves around a lot). I did find it odd that they're just slightly under 1mm. Measuring the length of the connectors. Divided by 30--0.9

Comment

If the barrels are still there, JB Weld works fantastic on them.

$163 loss....uhgg....but sometimes that's part of the business. :-/
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
        Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
        http://folding.stanford.edu/
        Team : 49813
        Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

Works on plastic? on hinges??

Comment

Hot glue for the hinges, it will stand up the abuse kids give it.
            Superglue and toilet paper to hold the threaded inserts.
            Toshiba keyboards use 0.8mm pitch connectors.

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
              Hot glue for the hinges, it will stand up the abuse kids give it.
              Superglue and toilet paper to hold the threaded inserts.
              Toshiba keyboards use 0.8mm pitch connectors.
              I'm still confused about the toilet paper thing

It's a dell, not a toshi

Comment

Yes, well aware it's a Dell, i was giving an example of a size i know exists.
                Superglue and toilet paper make a great bond for holding the brass knurled nuts, it bonds well to plastic. Tear the toilet paper into little pieces. Baking soda can also be used instead of the toilet paper.
                Do not bother replacing the nuts under the hinges. Position the hinge in place and apply hot glue liberally.

Comment

Working...
                X