MBP 13" A1708 820-00840A drains battery in Standby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MBP 13" A1708 820-00840A drains battery in Standby

Laptop was completely dead, cool vent full with dust, cleaned, reflowed CPU and worked fine again since January.

Working on this machine gives a battery life time of +/- 8h, cycle count 908, but the battery gives "normal" status in MacOS.

Clean install of BigSur, last version. But, when flipping down the screen, the system should go to standby mode.
    When you try to wake it up, it takes some seconds, so it seems he's indeed in standby. But after +/-2 days, the battery is completely empty.
    Looking on activity monitor, shows an abnormal battery drain sometimes. Sometimes a flat line, sometimes for hours a going down line.

A complete shutdown and the battery keeps fully charged.

SMC en PRAM are reset.

Any experiences with this behavior?
    tnx
    Gert

Re: MBP 13" A1708 820-00840A drains battery in Standby

908 battery cycles is a very long life. At best, the official Apple battery is rated at 1000 cycles (projected).

Try another (fresh) battery.

Comment

Jep, I know, but while working on this laptop the power consumption is higher as in standby.
      With a bad battery, you should expect a shorter working time.

There are already a lot of parts changed on this device (LCD under warranty, SSD, keyboard). I have to be sure before ordering a new battery.

Comment

Discovered the issue, but I'm afraid it isn't solvable...
        The SSD has been changed in this machine by an adapter and a 2242 NVMe.

I've got another A1708 last week. Changing the SSD's changes the problem.

It seems there're no workarounds available to solve this issue.

Comment

Originally posted by mon2 View Post
          908 battery cycles is a very long life. At best, the official Apple battery is rated at 1000 cycles (projected).

Try another (fresh) battery.
          If I install a new battery should I perform battery reset first? and how to enable to do the reset also thanks

Comment

I've always charged the new battery till 100%. Next, working on the computer till it drops till 10% and finally let it charge again till 100%.

All the macbooks where I've changed the battery worked fine after this principle.

Comment

Originally posted by Beeldbuisje View Post
              I've always charged the new battery till 100%. Next, working on the computer till it drops till 10% and finally let it charge again till 100%.

All the macbooks where I've changed the battery worked fine after this principle.
              Those it not require to smc reset because sometimes it will stop at 45% then sometimes full then somtimes if you let it stanby it looks like its jumping to 45% again

Comment

it could take time, but normally it should calibrate itself.

Resetting SMC and PRAM is always a possibility. It doesn't has a disadvantage...

Comment

Originally posted by Beeldbuisje View Post
                  it could take time, but normally it should calibrate itself.

Resetting SMC and PRAM is always a possibility. It doesn't has a disadvantage...
                  Its my first time that's why Im having troubke ubderstanding this type of units

Comment

A1708 820-00840A PPVCCGT_S0G is present but no PPVCCCPU_S0G

Comment

Working...
                    X