MacBook Air 820-00165 shutting down when trying to boot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MacBook Air 820-00165 shutting down when trying to boot

I bought a 820-3437 board off eBay last week as 'parts only'. The only fault with it was that it wouldn't boot anything, regardless of OS X version. Wouldn't even boot an old High Sierra SSD or USB installer. So I tried installing a known working clean ME EFI version onto U6100. So your flashing folder fault could still be EFI related.

Also keep in mind that old EFI versions prior to High Sierra won't boot APFS formatted drives and you'll just get the flashing folder icon. They should however boot a USB MAC OS installer though.
    Last edited by reformatt; 01-17-2022, 01:00 AM.

Comment

Meant to say that the new EFI version resolved the boot issue. Wasn't overly clear!

Comment

Originally posted by reformatt View Post
        I bought a 820-3437 board off eBay last week as 'parts only'. The only fault with it was that it wouldn't boot anything, regardless of OS X version. Wouldn't even boot an old High Sierra SSD or USB installer. So I tried installing a known working clean ME EFI version onto U6100. So your flashing folder fault could still be EFI related.

Also keep in mind that old EFI versions prior to High Sierra won't boot APFS formatted drives and you'll just get the flashing folder icon. They should however boot a USB MAC OS installer though.
        Thanks reformatt i was thinking this, i have just messaged the EFI chip seller to find out some more details on what he had put on the chip. It was a Clean ME i think he mentioned that to me, i did offer him as well my serial number whichi he said he would program onto the chip as well.

One question that i did have was i cannot even get access to the recovery menus, because none of the key compinations are working so then i cant even select my USB bootable installer to work because prior to this i managed to get the internet recovery menu loaded once before, before i put this new EFI chip oon. No key presses is yiedling any results now any ideas what could be going on there?

Its unfortunate as well because don't not have access to another SSD with a working macOS already installed.
        Last edited by Simplebeans; 01-17-2022, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Further to my last post reformatt i just found out from the chip seller it is the latest working firmware programmed on the EFI chip with a clean ME for my model and year Macbook Air which is a A1466 2015.

The seller i pruchased the SSD from just informed me that i will need to re-install the MacOS on this, so we know then the SSD must be blank.

Looking at and from the instructions here https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201255 I just tried holding the option key down now immediately after pressing the power button and that also hasn't yeilded any results so i can't even get to the start up manager. I just got SMC reset to work but most of the others do not incl. PRAM reset, Safe Mode and Apple Diagnostics.
          Last edited by Simplebeans; 01-17-2022, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Most recent one I have for the 165 board is from the last Monterey update V428.10.0.0.

A PRAM reset is recommended with any donor EFI. When I've had trouble in the past with key combo's it's either a EFI password lock or a faulty keyboard. Command and Option keys are on both sides of the space bar so try both for your PRAM reset. You could also try an external USB keyboard to rule the latter out (PC keyboards can be used on a MAC but don't always work with PRAM resets). At the very least D key should launch diagnostics.

Personally, I'd only trust dumps I've taken off a system or ones generated here by other forum members.
            Last edited by reformatt; 01-17-2022, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Most recent one I have for the 165 board is from the last Monterey update V428.10.0.0.

A PRAM reset is recommended with any donor EFI. When I've had trouble in the past with key combo's it's either a EFI password lock or a faulty keyboard. Command and Option keys are on both sides of the space bar so try both for your PRAM reset. You could also try an external USB keyboard to rule the latter out (PC keyboards can be used on a MAC but don't always work with PRAM resets). At the very least D key should launch diagnostics.

Personally, I'd only trust dumps I've taken off a system or ones generated here by other forum members.
              Thanks reformatt that helps a lot, so I went back to the EFI chip seller and now he has admitted he may not have included the latest firmware and that it could be 2 years old. In the meantime I have ordered a programmer today and that should be with me in a few weeks. Because the chip seller is local to me and that the good thing is that he has agreed that if I send him over a file he can program it on a new chip.

Could you send me a good dump on here that definitely works for the MacBook Air A1466-2015 board - 820-00165/EMC 2925? Then ill send it over to him and go pick it up and hopefully then it all works. This way at least then I can rule out the EFI and ill be one more step closer knowing whether this conundrum will continue.
              Last edited by Simplebeans; 01-18-2022, 08:35 AM.

Comment

Monterey 12.1 introduced a new EFI version which is V428.60.3.0.0. The dump attached here is from a board I recently repaired off eBay so I'm not concerned about the serial number ending up distributed to the rest of the world via your chip vendor.

I have cleaned the ME of this dump, and tested it back on the board. It was a 2015 board, but this dump can also be used on any 165 board from 2015 to 2017. Clear the PRAM after installing it.

If you plan on working with QFN8/WSON8 chips a lot for programming, I recommend getting one of the flip top sockets off Aliexpress. Just do a search for "QFN8 /WSON8/MLF8/MLP8/DFN8 TO DIP8 universal two-in-one socket/adapter for both 6*5MM and 8*6MM chips". There are more expensive ones, but this one does the job.

Bios moved to "Bios requests ONLY!" section - https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=102703
                Last edited by SMDFlea; 01-19-2022, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Monterey 12.1 introduced a new EFI version which is V428.60.3.0.0. The dump attached here is from a board I recently repaired off eBay so I'm not concerned about the serial number ending up distributed to the rest of the world via your chip vendor.

I have cleaned the ME of this dump, and tested it back on the board. It was a 2015 board, but this dump can also be used on any 165 board from 2015 to 2017. Clear the PRAM after installing it.

If you plan on working with QFN8/WSON8 chips a lot for programming, I recommend getting one of the flip top sockets off Aliexpress. Just do a search for "QFN8 /WSON8/MLF8/MLP8/DFN8 TO DIP8 universal two-in-one socket/adapter for both 6*5MM and 8*6MM chips". There are more expensive ones, but this one does the job.
                  Thanks reformatt I appreciate that. I have sent over the EFI to him with the information that you have attached. I also mentioned that I would prefer it if the serial number was not shared, even though I know you said you are ok with it. I had also mentioned my serial number previoiusly to him as well and when I told him to add my serial number to your file.

The programmer i ordered a few days ago on recommendation from someone else was the RT809F ISP Programmer. And after your awesome recommendation i just submitted my order for the "QFN8 /WSON8/MLF8/MLP8/DFN8 TO DIP8 universal two-in-one socket/adapter for both 6*5MM and 8*6MM chips". Any other recommendations please send them my way, i won't be saying no. HAHA.

Now patiently waiting for the chip vendor and I will report back once the new EFI chip is installed and re-done for the further testing.

Thanks for all your help so far.
                  Last edited by Simplebeans; 01-19-2022, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Most PC laptops have SOP8 EEPROM's for BIOS so an adaptor is pretty handy. Two sizes listed here.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...00863732_2&s=p

Also a SOP8 pin test clip if you want to try and read off the chip directly in circuit. You get a cheap one off eBay or Aliexpress but tend to slip off. Pomona clips are the best for this however relatively expensive. Only get Pomona clips off places like Element14 as everything from China is fake.

My usual programmer is a SVOD3, although I have a T56 as well. SVOD is the ducks guts as it also does EC programming, and its software interface is far less convoluted than the T56.

Comment

Most PC laptops have SOP8 EEPROM's for BIOS so an adaptor is pretty handy. Two sizes listed here.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...00863732_2&s=p

Also a SOP8 pin test clip if you want to try and read off the chip directly in circuit. You get a cheap one off eBay or Aliexpress but tend to slip off. Pomona clips are the best for this however relatively expensive. Only get Pomona clips off places like Element14 as everything from China is fake.

My usual programmer is a SVOD3, although I have a T56 as well. SVOD is the ducks guts as it also does EC programming, and its software interface is far less convoluted than the T56.
                      Hey reformatt the order i placed for my rt809f Serial ISP programmer will include a SOP8 pin test clip so i will give that one a try, from what i have seen/read it can be a hit and miss with these clips but these Pomona clips look well built so that will be my next stop. In my order they also said they are sending the 150/200mil SOP8 adapters so that is what helped me sway my decision to order, 12 adapters included all together which is great but will probably be more then i need anyway haha.

That SVOD3 looks well built and it is packed full of nice features and with what you also mentioned the EC programming, i will definitly be looking into this at some point in the future.
                      Last edited by Simplebeans; 01-20-2022, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Hey reformatt i received the replacement EFI chip from the chip vendor and guess what i have installed it and the Macbook is back to LIFE. NO ? folder anymore and now its booting up to MacOS Catalina which was installed on the SSD! Amazing. I am just updating the OS to the latest version.

I managed to get a PRAM reset done albeit with my external keyboard because the internal keyboard and trackpad are still not working, once the OS update is done and if this is not solved by then I am going on to start thinking this might be a bad trackpad cable? What are your thoughts?

I did a cursory inspection of the board around the EFI chip after I had completed soldering and I noticed that resister R6128 was missing so I have checked the schematics and I am thinking this may have to be populated but if you could check for me please? I did't see a NOSTUFF or OMIT indicated, even so I know some components are still not installed for example the U5430. Am almost sure that i did not blow any components off the board, I do not have a donar board here to check.
                        Last edited by Simplebeans; 01-23-2022, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Yes that resistor is populated. It goes to the JTAG connector so isn't overly important. Apple have a tendency to use non-preferred values in their designs (this one is 24.9 ohms) so having donor boards is handy in this respect. A 22 ohm or 27 ohm resistor would suffice though. They must have had some engineers from Tektronix working at Apple, as they used to have weird arse values like that in their monitors and scopes ;-)

Trackpad cable is often damaged by liquid, so examine it closely. Trackpad issues usually result in high fan, slow CPU as the thermal sensor data is missing. Some trackpads can be fixed, but it depends on how much corrosion is on it. They are relatively expensive given the A1466's age, and the keyboard is rivetted too. Sometimes I've managed to score a midframe with keyboard/trackpad/battery for next to nothing off eBay and this works out much cheaper than buying these parts individually. Especially as the keyboard replacement is a bit dreary with all the rivets you have to pull out and replace with screws.

Comment

Yes that resistor is populated. It goes to the JTAG connector so isn't overly important. Apple have a tendency to use non-preferred values in their designs (this one is 24.9 ohms) so having donor boards is handy in this respect. A 22 ohm or 27 ohm resistor would suffice though. They must have had some engineers from Tektronix working at Apple, as they used to have weird arse values like that in their monitors and scopes ;-)

Trackpad cable is often damaged by liquid, so examine it closely. Trackpad issues usually result in high fan, slow CPU as the thermal sensor data is missing. Some trackpads can be fixed, but it depends on how much corrosion is on it. They are relatively expensive given the A1466's age, and the keyboard is rivetted too. Sometimes I've managed to score a midframe with keyboard/trackpad/battery for next to nothing off eBay and this works out much cheaper than buying these parts individually. Especially as the keyboard replacement is a bit dreary with all the rivets you have to pull out and replace with screws.
                            Thanks reformatt for the clarificaiton i'll get on the case to see if i can locate that resister then, unless anyone on here has got one spare they want to sell me, message me and ill be happy to buy it from you. Otherwise ill see if i can get a 22 ohm or 27 ohm 0201 resistor. The macbook air has been working fine without it since the new EFI chip has gone on. Engineers from Tektronix working at Apple...haha!

I checked the trackpad cable and it is very clean and showed me no signs of any sort of damage or corrosion, i gave it a clean anyway but then whilst i was doing further testing i think i found the culprit, this chip located on the trackpad circuit board (see image link here - https://drive.google.com/file/d/12oU...ew?usp=sharing) is extremely hot to touch and this occurs as soon as i switch on the Macbook, also in that image you cannot see it now because i have cleaned the chip but there was a black circle next to the letter 'I'. I wondered is there such a thing as a trackpad schematic document? I could not find one and I always like to investigate these things further as to how this chip actually blew.

So now i am thinking to just pick up a trackpad from ebay with the trackpad cable included and just pop it on.
                            Last edited by Simplebeans; 01-23-2022, 04:45 PM.

Comment

It's only for the JTAG connector, which is never used so you needn't worry about it. There aren't any schematics for the trackpad unfortunately, so just swap it out. Usually damage to it is from liquid spillage.

Comment

It's only for the JTAG connector, which is never used so you needn't worry about it. There aren't any schematics for the trackpad unfortunately, so just swap it out. Usually damage to it is from liquid spillage.
                                Ok been on eBay, ordered the trackpad with cable. Should be here soon and I will report back in on install.
                                Last edited by Simplebeans; 01-25-2022, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Update I received the Trackpad today and installed and trackpad and keyboard also back to life!

Anyone else with similar issues to this or questions about anything discussed thus so far just drop me a PM or post here and ill be more than happy to help.

And to my next stop sitting on my desk right now is a liquid damaged Macbook Pro 820-00840-a A1708 2017.
                                  Last edited by Simplebeans; 01-29-2022, 06:42 AM.

Comment

I'm still having this issue but I haven't looked at it for a while. I find that after a restart the computer comes up and keeps running. Obviously the board like the heat. I just need to find the component now.

Comment

Originally posted by ACS-Repair View Post
                                      I'm still having this issue but I haven't looked at it for a while. I find that after a restart the computer comes up and keeps running. Obviously the board like the heat. I just need to find the component now.
                                      Yeah that one is a strange one, any known history of any liquid damage to the board?
                                      Last edited by Simplebeans; 02-16-2022, 03:08 PM.

Comment

This might be a stretch but have you tried loading a new EFI SP ROM on the board? I have seen a situation where the SPI flash ROM caused an A1466 not to start.
                                        If you've tried everything else, you have nothing to lose.

Comment

Originally posted by ACS-Repair View Post
                                          This might be a stretch but have you tried loading a new EFI SP ROM on the board? I have seen a situation where the SPI flash ROM caused an A1466 not to start.
                                          If you've tried everything else, you have nothing to lose.
                                          ACS-Repair have you read the whole thread yet? Go back and have a look then you’ll see what the solution was.

I think you’ll be surprised!
                                          Last edited by Simplebeans; 02-19-2022, 12:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X