Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MacBook Air 2010 RAM upgrage

Hello, guys.
    As you know, RAM in MBA is not upgradeable, because it is soldered to mainboard.
    My idea is to resolder memory chips. There are 16 chips on main board and general so-dimm module also have 16 chips. So I want to replace chips on mainboard by chips from module I will buy. I can do it.

The questions are:
    Where is SPD?
    Do I need to reflash SPD or memory amount is autodected?
    Officially A1370 supports 2GB or 4GB of RAM. If I take 8GB in 16 chips, will it "see" it? I really interested in putting 8GB in it

Thank you and please don't suggest to change whole mainboard/notebook)

Re: MacBook Air 2010 RAM upgrage

I suspect this would be hard. You would likely need to reprogram SPD for new memory timings, and maybe modify system firmware to read new RAM size - IF the hardware can address that much.

Take care when replacing so as not to damage the new chips or the board, especially if it's BGA.

After all that time and money on equipment, probably cheaper to just upgrade the machine. Unless you just want to do it for fun.
    "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
    -David VanHorn

Comment

I agree with Agent24, the SPD on the RAM will likely need to be reprogrammed. Now, as far as how to do that, I really don't know.

If you are experienced and/or confident in your BGA skills, it probably won't hurt if you tried it. At worst, the motherboard won't work with the RAM and you'd have to put the old chips back on... which will benefit from some new leaded solder balls for sure.
      But before attempting, make sure the pinout and working voltage of the new chips is the same as the old one. For BGA, usually they are (at least on the few graphics cards I've worked on), but better check anyways than be sorry. Also, speed of new chips must be the same or better than old ones.

But again, the biggest issue I think you will run into is reprogram the RAM SPD. If you know how to do that and can do it, you are the boss .

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
        I agree with Agent24, the SPD on the RAM will likely need to be reprogrammed. Now, as far as how to do that, I really don't know.
        Apparently, SPD uses I2C EEPROM chips, and many chipsets will allow you to write new data to them using a special program (such as a modified BIOS flasher). You could also remove the chip from the board and use an external programmer.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
          IF the hardware can address that much.
          thats your biggest problem.

Comment

Hi guys. I haven't receieved reply here for long time so decided that nobody interested

You're right, actually biggest issue is SPD. I can't find it. There is no ROM chips on motherboard that looks like SPD.
            Furthermore, I think that SPD doesn't exist in MBA at all. Reasons:
            1) memory is soldered = no way to change it, so no need SPD
            2) I've run Thaiphoon Burner, it works on MBP with replaceable memory. On my MBA it doesn't "see" SPD.

So memory information is stored somewhere in firmware (EFI?) image. Anybody familiar with it? Is there a way to change and reflash it?

Realizing here I'm stuck and demotivated. Because I can resolder memory chips, I can reprogram SPD even on external programmer. But I don't know at all how EFI is designed and how to modify it.

Maybe somebody know and can help?

Comment

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
              After all that time and money on equipment, probably cheaper to just upgrade the machine. Unless you just want to do it for fun.
              OFC, I'm want to do this for fun

Comment

I don't know much about how Mac firmware works, so yeah, the SPD data could well be in there. But doesn't the system need the SPD to initialize the RAM so it can start loading firmware anyway, so having it inside the firmware wouldn't work?

I think more likely it would be embedded in the chipset or some other controller IC, if it doesn't have its own chip.

Also note that Apple is a master of proprietary and hidden things. An SPD Flash ROM may be there but may be relabeled with some Apple-specific code number.
                "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                -David VanHorn

Comment

I can only guess. I know that firmware can be reflashed, I can get dumps but anyway I'm not good with assembler and firmware internals

Comment

Maybe the Coreboot guys have been trying to do something with Apple computers and have some kind of information about the hardware?
                    -David VanHorn

Comment

run a linux-live disk and see what it says about the ram.
                      if it see's it in detail then there is an eeprom - because that's how linu gets the ram data.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon01 View Post
                        I can only guess. I know that firmware can be reflashed, I can get dumps but anyway I'm not good with assembler and firmware internals
                        Hi Gordon. Were you able to make any progress with this? I'm trying to do the same thing here. I'm able to replace the DRAMs with more dense DRAMs, but I haven't been able to find where the SPD data is stored either. If you've made any progress, please let me know.

Comment

As far as i can tell ram may not be limeted by any apple software
                          the reason i say this is apple logic boards use two chips. firstly the efi/bios chip witch is probably what we are looking at messing with. this also stores the firmware password!
                          if you go to apple downloads you will see updates for the firmwares on the smc and efi chip.

But notice its not specific to ram size/processor speed? sort of seems like a 'one firmware fits all of this model' sort of scenario but im never quite sure. you guys probably know more about this than i do.

Anyhow. this begs the question couldnt you just download the approriate apk, extract it and see what you can find out/how many packages are there?
                          i know logic boards seem to have A or B versions after there model number, this may relate to the firmware/hardware but again, im clutching at straws so theres a high chance im not correct.

Anyway. id be interested to see if this works out!

Comment

Curious to see if that works out, but imo, I wouldnt do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon01 View Post
                              Hello, guys.
                              As you know, RAM in MBA is not upgradeable, because it is soldered to mainboard.
                              Yet, another reason I hate Apple

Comment

damn i wish there was more info related to this topic.

Comment

Working...
                                X