This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

Deal hasn't been confirmed 100% quite yet but some random person on Reddit was complaining they have a Unifi PoE switch with a bad PSU. They took it apart and when 48V applied directly it worked. They might send it to me for the price of shipping since they can't use it like that (but I can hehe) just need a PoE switch for a couple IP security cams

Comment

Made a few tech scores at goodwill today:

-Startech USB32VGAE USB 3.0 VGA adapter ($1): Seems to work fine. Will either keep on my work bench (since the KVM uses VGA and it does support a couple usable highish 16:10 resolutions) or give to church to interface things to the VGA based AV system (which can either 1280x1024, 1024x768, or 800x600). The current "slim" version doesn't support as many resolutions and costs $79... win???

-NIB TP-Link USB 2.0 AC600 adapter with "high-gain" antenna ($3): Handy to have on the shelf... Not being USB 3.0 sucks though since I think USB 2.0 is going to cap the actual throughput? Still handy to have for use in a pinch

-Bosch LCT0435/60 color security camera (BNC) with LCT3384/21 10x zoom lens ($1.39 per lb, outlet find). Camera made in Portugal, lens made in Japan. Don't need it, but it's built like a tank and if nothing else, I'll mail it to EEVBLOG for a teardown. Don't have any other BNC security equipment to test it with, sadly. Do they make ethernet based BNC adapters/FTP recorders?
      Last edited by ratdude747; 08-08-2021, 09:22 PM.
      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Scored another HP Pavilion dv5, this time it's the AMD Turion/HD3450 combo, model number dv5-1026eo.

Surprised to find that:

- it has NEVER been reflowed
        - it has NEVER been disassembled
        - it still worked (and still works) before I bought it

The only issues with it were that the LCTRL button isn't original to the keyboard, and of course the battery is dead (these machines already hit the 13 year old mark!).

Has been cleaned, repasted and upgraded. Original config was Turion RM-70, 3GB DDR2 and a 250GB HDD. New config is Turion Ultra ZM-82, 4GB DDR2, same HDD.
        Main rig:
        Gigabyte B75M-D3H
        Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
        Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
        16GB DDR3-1600
        Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
        FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
        120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
        Delux MG760 case

Comment

Was given a HP DV6-7345US Friday afternoon by a walk-in. Throwing a battery error at POST but otherwise works, and in mint condition. Inspite of the battery error saying the battery is weak, it still ran ~3hrs on it.

Will obviously need a new battery....came with the charger. A SSD and a little RAM, it'll be a nice laptop.
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
          Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
          http://folding.stanford.edu/
          Team : 49813
          Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

HP's batteries are weird indeed. I have a DV9000 (yes, such a old battery!!) battery that despite holding decent charge, is reported to be bad by HP's Battery Check application.

And most of all, none I've had on the older DV5,6 and 7s would show the time remaining of the battery. Only the newer Core i3 1st gen ones and higher would show the time remaining.
            Last edited by Dan81; 08-09-2021, 04:53 AM.
            Main rig:
            Gigabyte B75M-D3H
            Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
            16GB DDR3-1600
            Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
            Delux MG760 case

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
              -NIB TP-Link USB 2.0 AC600 adapter with "high-gain" antenna ($3): Handy to have on the shelf... Not being USB 3.0 sucks though since I think USB 2.0 is going to cap the actual throughput? Still handy to have for use in a pinch
              should be fine,
              usb2.0 is 480Mb throughput.
              i'm sure thats faster than you will realistically get across an AC600 link.

Comment

Scored a free SL4SH Socket 423 Pentium 4 1.5GHz CPU. Probably not that useful but still a nice piece of history to have.
                Main rig:
                Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                16GB DDR3-1600
                Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                Delux MG760 case

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                  Was given a HP DV6-7345US Friday afternoon by a walk-in. Throwing a battery error at POST but otherwise works, and in mint condition. Inspite of the battery error saying the battery is weak, it still ran ~3hrs on it.

Will obviously need a new battery....came with the charger. A SSD and a little RAM, it'll be a nice laptop.
                  Stuck a 240gb Kingston A400 + 16gb RAM in this. Windows10 now runs quite smooth. Still need to order a battery.

My wife came back from the local junk shop with a Compaq CQ61 Athlon2 1gb RAM in it, minty shape with charger for $25. Threw 4gb I had in the bin + a used 120gb SSD from the bin in it.....runs 10 decent as well. Batt is good.
                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                  Team Stats

Comment

Scored a free Panasonic NV-MV16EP VCR, with cables and remote.

On the same note, have copper shim'd my dv5-1026eo and, along with the Turion Ultra ZM-82 it has in place of its Turion RM-70, it runs really great, the temps are really good. 60-65*C max in load, around 55-59 in idle, and the GPU (a HD3450) runs really low, somewhere in the low to mid 40s tops and mid 40s to 50s.
                    Last edited by Dan81; 08-11-2021, 08:27 AM.
                    Main rig:
                    Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                    Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                    16GB DDR3-1600
                    Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                    Delux MG760 case

Comment

Did pretty good today. My "guy" hooked me up. Not even going to say how much I got all this for because nobody would believe me.

--------------------------------------------------------------
                      Ryzen 3600x
                      16GB Patriot 3600MHz
                      MSI B450 Gaming Plus
                      MSI Air Boost Vega 56
                      Acer 32" 1440P Freesync
                      Rosewill Capstone 750W
                      --------------------------------------------------------------
                      Hakko FX-888D Station
                      FX-8802 Iron
                      MG Chem .8mm 63/37 RA 2.2%

Comment

what are those 2 at the back like shrunk ps2's??

Comment

PS2 Slim

Comment

Two goodwill scores:

Vizio E221-A1 22" 1080P TV ($6). No remote, but fully functional. Has one HDMI, one VGA/3.5mm, and one Component/Composite input, along with USB and a tuner.

A really old Pandigital R70f200 7" Android tablet/e-reader ($5). Seems to have a fried battery preventing bootup... Might fix it, IDK. Has a resistivite touchscreen with a built in plastic stylus.
                            sigpic

Comment

Here was a bit of a funny one today. Gal brought in a box of stuff to get rid of....in it was a brand new HP Stream netbook. Celeron Dual-core, 4gb RAM, and 32gb SSD. Real kick in the balls for the horrendous steaming pile known as Windows10 Home, she used it for about 3hrs, it did its usual automatic update nonsense, rebooted, and became so unusably slow that she shut it off and said the hell with it. The online retailer that sold it to her basically told her to go pound sand when asking to return it...and it sat in its box for about a year.....so fast forward to today; she was going to throw it away....and asked if I wanted it.... I offered to fix it, she said nah....she bought a new Macbook Pro.

I hate win10 with a passion, especially Home edition....pro + GPEDIT is a bit more tamable, but home is completely worthless. I certainly wasn't buying a Win10 pro license for it and didn't really want to mess with 10 Home....so unlike the old Macbook from earlier in the thread, this one genuinely is good testbed for Mint 20.... It's a bit of a gutless CPU; dual core celeron....but Mint runs very nice on it compared to bloated w10.....so hello world from a sub-entry-level laptop with Mint 20.2 & Waterfox G3.2.5!!

Attached Files
                              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                              Team Stats

Comment

Dish Hopper 3 DVR. Pulled it apart, slammed the drive into a dock, found ~500GB of TV recordings, all unencrypted and watchable.
                                Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
                                RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                                Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
                                - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
                                - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
                                - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
                                - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                                  Here was a bit of a funny one today. Gal brought in a box of stuff to get rid of....in it was a brand new HP Stream netbook. Celeron Dual-core, 4gb RAM, and 32gb SSD. Real kick in the balls for the horrendous steaming pile known as Windows10 Home, she used it for about 3hrs, it did its usual automatic update nonsense, rebooted, and became so unusably slow that she shut it off and said the hell with it. The online retailer that sold it to her basically told her to go pound sand when asking to return it...and it sat in its box for about a year.....so fast forward to today; she was going to throw it away....and asked if I wanted it.... I offered to fix it, she said nah....she bought a new Macbook Pro.

I hate win10 with a passion, especially Home edition....pro + GPEDIT is a bit more tamable, but home is completely worthless. I certainly wasn't buying a Win10 pro license for it and didn't really want to mess with 10 Home....so unlike the old Macbook from earlier in the thread, this one genuinely is good testbed for Mint 20.... It's a bit of a gutless CPU; dual core celeron....but Mint runs very nice on it compared to bloated w10.....so hello world from a sub-entry-level laptop with Mint 20.2 & Waterfox G3.2.5!!

For Windows, you would be better off with XP, with only 4 GB of RAM, if possible, LOL! Especially that small drive, LOL! Or Windows 7 maybe, even 8.1 is pushing it, despite 8.1 runs fast for me, the last time I used Windows 8.1.
                                  Yep, of course, it's Linux time!

Lately, it looks more likely that a bunch of people with much better PCs than that "sub-entry-level" PC, will be forced to go to Linux, anyways.
                                  Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 08-17-2021, 05:58 AM.
                                  ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Goodwill again: Scored a used but working Corsair CX430 for $15. 10+ year old 430W PSU... not very efficient (not 80+!), but from what I found on hardware secrets, a solid build CWT. Maybe a bit too much to call it a score, but I'll take a solid 400W+ PSU when I see one. PO had apparently "upgraded" to an ultra 750W per the box it was in...
                                    sigpic

Comment

Scored an Acer Aspire 8530G. Turion RM-72 upgraded to Ultra ZM-80, added the correct GPU in (HD4650 1GB, the wrong one was a Toshiba OEM'd 4570 512MB), reflowed the chipset (Acer really didn't think this one fully through, just like the 5520), 18.4 inch LCD, DVD-RW, 500GB HDD.
                                      Main rig:
                                      Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                      Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                      16GB DDR3-1600
                                      Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                      Delux MG760 case

Comment

Originally posted by Dan81 View Post
                                        Scored an Acer Aspire 8530G. Turion RM-72 upgraded to Ultra ZM-80, added the correct GPU in (HD4650 1GB, the wrong one was a Toshiba OEM'd 4570 512MB), reflowed the chipset (Acer really didn't think this one fully through, just like the 5520), 18.4 inch LCD, DVD-RW, 500GB HDD.
                                        Is there something in the air in Romania? You do more reflowing than anyone I've ever seen!! I come into a lot of tech, reflowing is few & far between...
                                        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                        Team Stats

Comment

Mostly people using them in places that heavily restrict airflow (beds being the most popular culprits) and the fact that none of the machines I have come across have NEVER had their thermal paste replaced. Granted, it's mostly been AMD systems that needed reflows, but I've also had a fair share of Intels that needed it too, usually anything that ran on nVidia chips based on the G84 and G86 that didn't have the white underfill (for example, I have two cards that are from both sides - one is a older underfill 9500M GS, the other is a white underfill G86 based 9300MG, which is a rebadged 8400MG - both are Acer OEM cards) and rarely some downright garbage tier cooled Radeon 4500/4600 cards (in this case, a DDR3 based Acer 5738ZG, board marked JV50-MV DDR3 M96 & MADISON MB, aka 5738ZG w/ HD4650 1GB)

Also replaced the HD4650 with a HD3470 and gained the ability to do Crossfire, much to my surprise. What this actually means is that the onboard IGP is actually used in tandem with the HD3470 I installed in it, as a kind of Hybrid Crossfire setup.
                                          Main rig:
                                          Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                          Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                          16GB DDR3-1600
                                          Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                          Delux MG760 case

Comment

Working...
                                          X