rz09-0329 Charges only in windows and disabling controller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rz09-0329 Charges only in windows and disabling controller

Hello. I have a asus rz09-0329 here that has problems charging. Here are the symptoms:

-Will not charge while off, nor while in bios/bootup.
    -Will not power on if the battery is disconnected.
    -Powers on with the battery connected, with and without charger.
    -Only charges while in Windows 10, but only if I disable the "Microsoft AC Adapter" device. If it is enabled, it says it is running on battery power only.

Funny thing: I can boot windows with the power supply and battery connected, turn off the laptop, disconect the battery (without unplugging the power supply), and boot up with the battery disconnected. But if I unplug the power supply, I can not get it to turn on without the battery connected.

I was thinking it might be the charge controller, it has an ISL95520HRZ, but I am not sure, and would have to order one from aliexpress just to test this theory. Any ideas?

I cant seem to find any schematics, which would help, nor the datasheet for the controller, only a 1 page document on how it works, with no pinout. But being that it does charge while in windows, I am thinking it might not be the controller, but whatever communicates with it.

Re: Charges only in windows and disabling controller

1) See attached.

2) This part appears to be available from Mouser and Digikey as well.

3) ISL95521HRZ seems to have the same pinout.

4) YOGA 500 uses the same ISL95520HRZ part - attached is a partial schematic from the YOGA
    Attached Files
    Last edited by mon2; 07-12-2021, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Check 2.1.5 from this thread with Only Battery and Only charger is present.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...50&postcount=2
      FairRepair on YouTube

Comment

Thank you both. I needed that pinout and couldn't find it. ACOK signal does go high when the charger is connected, ACDRV seems to not be in the pinout, but should be present since the mosfets are working.

Update: It seems as if it simply doesn't detect the charger, I can power on only if the battery is plugged in. Once I power on I can hot disconnect the battery and it will stay on. But it does not seem to charge the battery at all, when disabling the controller I mentioned, it appears as "charging" on the task bar, but I never see the level go up. But like I said, the ACOK pin does go high when I plug in the power adapter, so it is detecting it, just choosing not to use it?

Comment

1) voltage @ ACIN (pin 1 of ISL95520) ?

2) voltage @ CCLIM (pin 11 of ISL95520) ?

3) voltage @ ACLIM (pin 16 of ISL95520) ?

Comment

Originally posted by mon2 View Post
            1) voltage @ ACIN (pin 1 of ISL95520) ?

2) voltage @ CCLIM (pin 11 of ISL95520) ?

3) voltage @ ACLIM (pin 16 of ISL95520) ?
            ACIN=3.0v
            CCLIM=1.1v
            ACLIM=2.4v
            ACOK=3.3v

Tested with only charger connected, no battery

Comment

maybe a bios setting . i dunno .

Comment

Originally posted by petehall347 View Post
                maybe a bios setting . i dunno .
                Bios has been restored and updated, still the same issue.

Comment

The CSIP and CSIN pins (32 and 31) seem to be shorted together 0ohm. They come out to a capacitor, one on each side or the capacitor, I don't know if they should be shorted or not.

Comment

Ignore CSIP and CSIN. The Only component between this Rails is the Current Resistor, If i'm right.

I'm more interested in your ACIN Voltage. Check which Voltage do you get there with battery only too. I believe It's supposed to be 19V, i mean the equivalent charger Voltage, there.
                    FairRepair on YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by Sephir0th View Post
                      Ignore CSIP and CSIN. The Only component between this Rails is the Current Resistor, If i'm right.

I'm more interested in your ACIN Voltage. Check which Voltage do you get there with battery only too. I believe It's supposed to be 19V, i mean the equivalent charger Voltage, there.
                      ACIN (pin 1) is at 2.9v with both battery and charger connected and off. 0v with only battery. And 2.9v with only adapter.

Comment

Okay, it seems I've confused ACIN with DCIN, sorry for this.

So Please repeat the Voltage measurement with Pin 18 - DCIN and Check also Pin20 at least with Only Adapter present.
                        FairRepair on YouTube

Comment

Okay, it seems I've confused ACIN with DCIN, sorry for this.

So Please repeat the Voltage measurement with Pin 18 - DCIN and Check also Pin20 at least with Only Adapter present.
                          Pin 18, with adapter and battery=19.3v. With only battery= 15.3v (battery voltage), with only adapter=19.3v

Pin 20=5.17v in all three configurations (only battery, only charger, and both)

The charger is a 19.6v, so dcin is missing 0.3v (I dont know if that means anything) I wish I had a shcematic

Comment

Re: rz09-0329 Charges only in windows and disabling controller

Your Charging IC seems fine in my opinion.

now... It is a Shot into the Blue but however, Just to be Sure, Check your DC-IN Mosfets in Ohms Mode, Range: 200 between Source and Drain, Source and Gate & Drain and Gate.
                            Share the values Here.
                            FairRepair on YouTube

Comment

Your Charging IC seems fine in my opinion.

now... It is a Shot into the Blue but however, Just to be Sure, Check your DC-IN Mosfets in Ohms Mode, Range: 200 between Source and Drain, Source and Gate & Drain and Gate.
                              Share the values Here.
                              It took me forever to find the dcin mosfets since the line passes through a mosfet that was hidden under the wifi board. All three give 1 (no value) with the multimeter set to 200 range between all pins. I say all three since it passes through one mosfet first, then it goes to the normal configuration of two mosfets. I have never seem this configuration before.

Comment

Update:

All of a sudden the laptop was able to power on with only the dc adapter (without battery), but this was out of nowhere, I have only been testing voltages, haven't done anything. But once I powered off, I could no longer power on without the battery. So a one time thing...

It goes to say, I always have 3.3v on the power switch. No matter if it actually turns on or not.

Comment

New update.

After probing around with my multimeter and oscilloscope, for some reason, now it works. It is charging while off, and will turn on without the battery, so it seems fine, but I know it's temporary.
                                  I havent done anything except swap a dual mosfet (the one that charges the battery), I swapped it with the 3v3 mosfet that was the same model. But even after the swap it still wasn't working, for a good amount of time.
                                  Then I started probing around the charger IC (once again). I was double checking the DCIN and ACOK voltages, and all of a sudden on the second pass the voltages were a tad bit higher. No idea, and now I am frustrated.

PS. I know its charging since the battery side voltage is higher, and I can see the pulses coming from the charger mosfet on the oscilloscope (something that was never there before).

Comment

Keep us updated...
                                    FairRepair on YouTube

Comment

Update:

I connected everything and booted windows. It was working perfectly, windows said it was charging, I saw the percentage go up and the battery animation was working. But after about 10 minutes the animation stopped, and it no longer had the charger symbol, just battery.

So, it's back to the start. I don't know how or why it worked correctly without doing anything but probing around.

Comment

Seems like dry soldering somewhere in charging circuit. Put some good quality flux on charging Ic and surrounding components and gently heat a bit and check again.

Comment

Working...
                                        X