Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Washer or oven - tripped RCD question.

Hello.

I am living on 4 floor block.Apartment nr 1.

Washer tripped RCD few days ago and no power in home. We reset the trip and the same happened twice more.
    Ah and circuit overload doesnt matter,without all devices off that was happening still.

But today we run again washer,but this time mom put less clothes than yesterday...+ she clean and dry some element ( not heater for sure ) . Dunno what.
    And no breaker tripping and power is on still.

Now its fine,washer working without issues in home. And all other devices in home,like tv,oven,light,laptop working fine.

Question.

Year ago ( 2017.11.11 ) when my mother running oven, a bulb inside oven get burned ( short circuit ),then RCD trip of course and power in home goes off. After switching back RCD ( fuse box in home ) power back but only in wall sockets in entire home. But there was not light in all home.

My neighbourhood helped. He said that something in main fuse box in staircase ( 1 floor ) damaged/burned/broken. Of course it was only connected to my apartment.

I dont know what, a fuse or breaker?
    He bought new fuse,breaker?! Propably a fuse. He change it and lights back again in my home. But he changed something in staircase main fuse box,not in my home fuse box.
    All devices was working great still after that.

So question. Washer issue was the same like that with oven year ago?
    I mean if all devices was working great after oven case,so after washer case they will be working fine too? No difference at all? Yeah but with oven rcd tripped + something damaged in staircase,when after washer only rcd tripped,thats all.

Sorry for my language . If somebody dont understand,just tell. I correct words.
    Last edited by sew333; 01-05-2019, 11:44 PM.

Re: Washer or oven - tripped RCD question.

Here is an explanation of what might be going on

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Residual-current_device

In this country they are known by ( GFCI ) and go bad all time

I have replaced a lot them
    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 01-06-2019, 12:16 AM.
    9 PC LCD Monitor
    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
    30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
    10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
    6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
    1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
    25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
    6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
    1 Dell Mother Board
    15 Computer Power Supply
    1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
    2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
    All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

So question. Washer issue was the same/similiar like that with oven year ago?
      I mean if all devices was working great after oven case ( year ago ),so after washer case they will be working fine too?

Actually with oven all is fine,and with washer all is fine too. No RCD tripping.

Even if, we will not use washer or oven when using pc,just in case.

Comment

Here in this country ( GFCI ) if you have a lighting storm it might cause them to trip and can not be reset and have to be replaced

I have seen them go bad for no reason that you can figure out what made them go bad

When I get one that starts tripping for no reason at all I just replace them

I have power running outside and down my driveway and those ( GFCI ) trip all time after a rain storm I have have to reset them

After a year or so I have to replace them because they just keep tripping or they will not reset

One note

If a ( GFCI ) is used on a refrigerator or freezer it might start tripping for no reason just replace it
        but after replacing the new ( GFCI ) and the new one also is tripping then one of two things could be going on

One your compressor is going bad ( very high resistance to ground in the compressor winding)
        Or

A problem with the defrost circuit

Only in a few cases is it a ( Law ) requirement for a ( GFCI ) to be used for a refrigerator or freezer

One other note

Also most all portable air conditioning units sold in this country have a ( GFCI ) plug unit as part of the power cord assembly ( if they should start tripping) check the following ( so far I have not seen this type of ( GFCI ) go bad for no reason

One your compressor is going bad ( very high resistance to ground in the compressor winding)
        Or

The heater element circuit has some kind of problem

In fact I have one of these ( GFCI plug unit as part of the power cord assembly from an air conditioning unit that the controller board went bad )

I use it as a test cord for a testing gigs setup for checking out all kind of 120 volt circuits

I am also looking for one that is for a 220 volt one as well
        Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 01-06-2019, 01:39 AM.
        9 PC LCD Monitor
        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
        1 Dell Mother Board
        15 Computer Power Supply

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

Comment

So if all working and power goes back after washer issue,i can easy plug new pc parts?build pc i mean

Comment

I've experienced RCDs tripping due to back-EMF when an inductive load is energized at or near the high peak of the AC waveform.
            My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

I also have seen this sometimes as well
              9 PC LCD Monitor
              6 LCD Flat Screen TV
              1 Dell Mother Board
              15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Originally posted by sew333 View Post
                So if all working and power goes back after washer issue,i can easy plug new pc parts?build pc i mean
                That depends on what type of ( RCD ) unit you have if it is an outlet type or it a circuit breaker panel type

I do not know how your Laws are

But in this country you are suppose to get a license electrician to replace them.

Yes I have some problems with some law like this but that just me

Please do not get me wrong if you do not know what you are doing then yes you need to get some one that is licensed to do this type of work
                Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 01-06-2019, 01:31 AM.
                9 PC LCD Monitor
                6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                1 Dell Mother Board
                15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Electrical installation is from 2006 year. Simply fuse box in house with RCD breaker and other small breakers and fuse box in staircase ( 1 floor ) for all neighbourhoods + me of course.

So question. Washer issue was the same like that with oven year ago?
                  I mean if all devices was working great after oven case,so after washer case they will be working fine too? No difference at all? Yeah but with oven rcd tripped + something damaged in staircase,when after washer only rcd tripped,thats all.

Just ask mainly is there any difference between ? But like i said with oven case ,RCD tripped in house fuse box + fuse blowed on fuse box on my staircase ( of course it was my separate fuse, only connected to my apartment ). After resetting TRIP power in wall sockets back but there was no light in house.
                  After changing fuse,lights back.
                  Last edited by sew333; 01-06-2019, 03:18 AM.

Comment

what mA rating is on the rcd??

Comment

Working...
                    X