Badcaps.net Forum
Go Back   Badcaps Forums > Troubleshooting Hardware & Devices and Electronics Theory > General Electronics Technical Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2019, 12:21 PM   #41
Dannyx
CertifiedAxhole

City & State: Constanta
My Country: Romania
Line Voltage: 230VAC 50Hz
I'm a: Hardcore Geek
Default Re: Reballing discussion and tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by stj View Post
SolidState Relay.

usually a block with 4 screw terminals and an led on it.
This must be what turns the lamp on/off. I'm not sure what that screw with the resistor at the end is for - haven't taken it out to analyse. Must be some thermal probe or something, though that resistor looks awfully big for that....
Old 01-27-2020, 06:03 AM   #42
Dannyx
CertifiedAxhole

Question Re: Reballing discussion and tips

Hi everyone. Sorry for digging up such an old thread of mine, but I thought I wouldn't open up a separate one to talk about this, since the title would be almost identical, so hopefully someone is still watching...

I had an argument today with one of our super-skilled "engineers" here about a Vaio lappy which has no picture on the internal screen, but works on an external monitor. Now here's this chap insisting the issue is a GPU issue which should be reablled, while I suggested it's a screen/cable issue. Is this even possible ? If there's a GPU fault, shouldn't ALL video outputs be dead ? I'm just curious. Whether we're talking about a laptop where the chipset is handling graphics, or one with a dedicated GPU, can this happen and would a reball fix anything or would it be a collosal waste of time, possible f**cking it up even more afterwards ? ? ? :|
Dannyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 03:49 PM   #43
televizora
ghettomodmaster

City & State: Bourgas
My Country: Bulgaria
I'm a: Student Tech

It can be a GPU issue. I have seen several laptops with Nvidia 8400/8600 that had image when connected to external display, but no image on the internal display. Also, in about half of the cases there were also artifacts in the picture when they were connected to external display. Reheating the GPU solved the issue in the short run. So, it may be GPU issue. But firstly try with other ribbon cable and LCD display.
Also, if someone tells you that he can reball, most definitely he would heat the motherboard with heat gun, nothing more. There are people that can reball and replace the faulty GPU, but there are few of these. One needs serious equipment, expertise and experience to successfully perform this kind of repairs. And no, partially faulty GPU can have signal on some of it's outputs, but no image on other. No image on both internal display and external display means bad GPU, mobo or hard failure, but image on external display can mean bad internal display or partially damaged mobo.
For example, short circuit near the LVDS connector on the mobo could blow a fuse on the mobo and there will be no image on the internal display, but external will work just fine - IBM T4x series. It's hard to repair computer equipment without a schematic. Of course, there is info for older stuff in the web, but for anything recent....

Last edited by televizora; 01-27-2020 at 03:59 PM..
televizora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 06:59 AM   #44
Dannyx
CertifiedAxhole

From what I gather, he ended up reballing the thing and it's working, so it turns out a loose chip in need of reballing CAN cause only one video output to fail...
Dannyx is offline   Reply With Quote