X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SONY XBR-65X850A Won’t turn on

SONY XBR-65X850A
    Got this one from my friend.
    When plugged in to power, red light is continuing blinking 3 times.
    Currently I have no remote for this tv.
    Any ideas what can I do to diagnose?
    Thanks.

Re: SONY XBR-65X850A Won't turn on

Or, for beginning, if someone knows how can I test the panel to make sure it is not broken?
    It felt down during transportation, so I am not 100% sure if is not cracked.
    Thanks.

Comment

A 3 blink error is:
      <B/S> Audio amp. protection [AUD_ERR]
      <B> Tuner or demodulator I2C No ACK [TU_DEMOD]
      <B> HDMI Switch/Equalizer I2C communication error [HDMI_EQ]
      Seems to point mainly to the main board
      I would remove the back cover and inspect the boards for damage, look around where the boards are mounted to the chassis. If only the panel cracked, the tv usually turns on and you will see the damage, I suspect a board inside is damaged (you could still have a broken screen)
      Also check that the speaker wires are not shorted to the metal frame anywhere.
      Last edited by R_J; 02-17-2020, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Thank you, R_J! Will open up tv soon, inspect and report here with pictures.

Comment

I found nothing after visual inspection. Removed and checked 3 bigger boards all around. Components look good, same as connectors and wires.
          Multimeter is handy, but don't know what can I do to troubleshoot further.
          Attached Files

Comment

I am wondering if there’s way to hard test to make sure panel is not cracked. Then I can just order main board and give it a try.

Comment

Maybe check those small fuses on mainboard, looks like there's about 5 or so.

Comment

Is it me, or does the second power supply board look like an afterthought?

I'm not sure of the three flashes, I've had Sonys do weird codes for various faults. If you just have a multimeter, check the resistance to ground on the power supply pins for the audio and the HDMI switcher. Lately I've seen many HDMI multiplexers short out. I'm not sure they are as safe from static discharges as they should be.

Do you have an oscilliscope? If you do we can check various signals going to the chips on the main board. HDMI multiplexers and audio chips usually have I2C or SPI control lines you can see toggling with data when booted and when you change things.

In the image, A and B look like HDMI multiplexers with A being wired to many and B looks (maybe) wired back through A to get more inputs. Check the power supply lines on these.

In the image, C looks like where the speakers are wired to and D are the driver circuits for them. Check these for shorts.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by saddle_au; 02-19-2020, 12:31 AM. Reason: Add image.

Comment

I have no oscilliscope, unfortunately.

Comment

Tried to turn it on with all speakers unplugged, no change. 3 flashes.

Comment

Was this tv working before YOU got it? or did it have a problem before? then when you got it "It felt down during transportation"

Comment

Originally posted by Slavabusy View Post
                        I am wondering if there's way to hard test to make sure panel is not cracked. Then I can just order main board and give it a try.
                        the "easy way" would be to use your meter and start checking for voltages on the labelled pins that are shown on the power supply and post the results.

Comment

Thanks for advice, Budwich! I will do soon!

Comment

R_J, thanks for asking! So, when I got this tv from my friend, he just said that it is stopped working, only red light flashes. Then, I loaded tv to my van in upright position, leaning to it’s back against cargo wall. While I was driving, unfortunately tv bounced and landed on some cardboard boxes. That’s why I am not sure if it is broken or not. Visually it is ok, but sometimes you can see only after power is on.

Comment

Ok, here it goes now!

Comment

No any dc voltages outputs from power boards. Instead, some pins showing around 3v A/C.
                                In order left to right:
                                Plug cn6601 all zero volts
                                Plug cn6602 all zeros
                                Plug cn6402 all pins except #1 measured 3vac, #1-zero volts

Plug cn6401 (from top to bottom)
                                Pin #2 measured 3vac, all other pins 0 volts

Input voltage is 120vac at both of the power boards, fuses are good.

Any ideas appreciated!
                                Attached Files

Comment

Does it look like everything is fried? Does it worth fixing at all?

Comment

The first voltage you need to check is on the G6 power board, locate the STBY FB (top left corner of board) and check for 3.3vdc on D6201 Cathode (white mark on diode)
                                    CN6401 has 2 rows of pins (28 total)
                                    This 3.3 volts is the standby voltage, it is needed before anything else works. If the tv fell over and the screen hit some boxes, there is a good chance it is cracked. Use a light to shine on the screen and see if you can see any cracks in it.
                                    Last edited by R_J; 02-24-2020, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slavabusy View Post
                                      No any dc voltages outputs from power boards. Instead, some pins showing around 3v A/C.
                                      In order left to right:
                                      Plug cn6601 all zero volts
                                      Plug cn6602 all zeros
                                      Plug cn6402 all pins except #1 measured 3vac, #1-zero volts

Plug cn6401 (from top to bottom)
                                      Pin #2 measured 3vac, all other pins 0 volts

Input voltage is 120vac at both of the power boards, fuses are good.

Any ideas appreciated!
                                      hopefully you aren't looking only for AC voltages as most / all of those are dc type pins. It is unlikely that a panel falling over (unplugged) would take out a power supply. As suggested you need to check / trace specific voltages to components on the power board.

Further, you need to provide a picture of the back to show how the boards are connected. It also help if you reference voltages to specific pins AND then to a specific label.... ie. do a little "leg work" to help the forum.
                                      Last edited by budwich; 02-24-2020, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Is there a similar post you can refer to, where I can see how to properly post the pin voltage test results?
                                        Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                        X