Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Had an idea I might or might not do because it might be somewhat pointless and...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had an idea I might or might not do because it might be somewhat pointless and...

my title was too long and wanted to add:

...and as TC knows I have a short attention span (EG: the caps database failure-LAMP project). Well, that project I had actually finished the software, but alllll those datasheets. Most of them were image scans from the crappier companies (cause there were more crappy companies, many didn't exist anymore) so I had to use OCR -> Excel (re-organize rows) export-> Tab delimited -> Pasted into textbox and parsed into database (that process I was actually proud of, some of my best PHP coding)

but many sheets were old, incomplete, some products had incomplete/odd stats. So after a few weeks I gave up and just made the datasheet archive

My new idea? I remembered my last job (public computer repair shop) the owner had a custom php-mysql based local hosted website for repair tickets. It was decent, but I had an idea to make a win32 based one (VB.net 2008)

Instead of using obdc or mysql (which requires a connector), I was thinking of using https POST to a PHP script with localhost database access that fed xml into the program. This way the database isn't directly exposed, so wild exploits can be blocked

Doing research into it, I actually found a number of pieces of shop software that were cheap/subscription or one-time fair priced ($100-200). That had extensive features (some though even I see how to implement).

though frankly I was going to make it freeware/closed source (except for the PHP side obviously).

The program/database interaction of this sort is actually something I had experience with. A few years ago I tried to make an ultravnc launcher where my support client would connect and login to a my website, store my IP in a memory table, have the customer support program read it, and launch ultravnc with a reverse connection to my ip address on a specific port (forwarded on router), which was specified by my side, to coincide with the local computer I was on (my shop box say was port 9500, my laptop was 9501), port specified when I logged into the software.

this surprising amount of odd hellish half-assed non-proxyed software actually worked...most of the time. Didn't have an auto-reconnect, and had random times where it just would not connect at all. Even built a chat system between customer and me into it. That usually worked, though sometimes the colors/font didn't work right no matter how hard I tried to fix it. Was built with VB 2005 though and that might have had limitations/bugs.

then I discovered teamviewer and said screw it. I don't get enough business to make teamviewer suspicious and I don't really get paid for helping my customers post-repair

what do you guys think? should I make a ticket management system for maybe myself for fun (though I haven't done VB/PHP in a long time, so it probably won't be fun). Something I shouldn't even bother with?
    Last edited by Uranium-235; 02-24-2020, 11:56 PM.
    Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
    ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Re: Had an idea I might or might not do because it might be somewhat pointless and...

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
    what do you guys think? should I make a ticket management system for maybe myself for fun (though I haven't done VB/PHP in a long time, so it probably won't be fun). Something I shouldn't even bother with?
    IMO, there are two primary (non-commercial) reasons to take on any non-trivial project:
    1. you can actually use the resulting project (at a lower "cost" than the development effort would imply)
    2. you want a REAL application (instead of a TOY application) to develop some new skillset around

See where your attitude towards it fits these.

Comment

Working...
    X