laptop vs desktop rust spinner longevity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

laptop vs desktop rust spinner longevity

Has there been a study on how durable laptop 2.5" vs desktop 3.5" hard drives? Also consider 2.5" SAS drives which were meant for server use...

The thing that I wonder about is whether or not mechanical abuse can be controlled out. Because laptop disks are subject to more mechanical abuse due to shaking, heat, etc. they tend to die earlier... but if this is controlled out, do they last as long or longer than 3.5" disks? How about 2.5" SAS disks?

Re: laptop vs desktop rust spinner longevity

I'd say SAS disks would be more sensitive to these factors. 2.5" laptop drives are 5400~7200 RPM. SAS spinners are 10,000~15,000 RPM....they're going to be a lot less forgiving of being jostled around....but I do believe they last longer in their native habitat (servers & workstations) than 3.5" SAS if for no other reason they run a lot cooler. SSD SAS are virtually indestructible.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

Not a study per se, more of anecdotal evidence:
      But in industrial machines I service the Siemens PCU50 HMI PC is very popular.
      It does feature a 2.5" HDD in a nice "free hanging" HDD cage.
      I thought one of the primary things would be these HDD's failing in industrial setting.
      But they last forever, and it must 100% be due to the nice mounting mechanism.
      Here a picture stolen off eBay of one, notice the wires in the corners: they act like springs...
      Attached Files
      "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

anyone used a lot of 2.5" drives in their desktop/server machines?

Wonder because I'd think 2.5" drives need to be made at higher tolerances but yes, due to size, the drives are lighter and thus need less power to spin the disks... I had a "high" power 3.5" disk shat on itself after its years, heat it generated probably melted itself...

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
          anyone used a lot of 2.5" drives in their desktop/server machines?
          Yessir.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...&postcount=114

They're still in service....and darn fast for the hardware they're in; better than the 3.5" 15k's they replaced. Seek speeds are the big improvement.
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
          Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
          http://folding.stanford.edu/
          Team : 49813
          Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

Then I wonder about the 5400rpm IDE/SATA laptop disks...will they work well. Seek would be significantly slower...

Comment

stay away from 2.5inch seagate drives.
              specially the rose(something) series.
              rossman has posted a lot about those shit drives.

Comment

hmm... so six one way, half dozen the other...?

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post

Rosewell? Also, stay away from the entire Momentus lineup. Complete pile of garbage too.
                  Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
                  RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                  Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
                  - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
                  - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
                  - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
                  - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

WD Scorpio Blues are also avoidable. I can't count how many I had fail despite them showing 100%.
                    Main rig:
                    Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                    Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                    Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
                    16GB DDR3-1600
                    Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                    FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
                    120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
                    Delux MG760 case

Comment

i only have WD black series
                      didnt buy for the speed, chose it for the 5year warranty

Comment

Do these drives (scorpio blue, rosewell, momentus) last longer if they weren't in laptop situations?

None of my laptop drives (excluding so far: SSDs but offtopic) last long, but they were all in laptops...

Comment

are you using them while moving the machine?
                          i have old toshiba laptop drives over 10years old still going strong.
                          i *never* move a running machine though.

Comment

If someone's using a laptop on their lap then I don't care how well you can keep your lap still, there will be movement. Not to also mention laptops tend to get hotter than desktop PCs (usually).

Also I've moved 3.5" desktop drives around when power is not applied. This too tends to cause premature failure.

There are still statistics in this, people can get lucky...

Comment

Do these drives (scorpio blue, rosewell, momentus) last longer if they weren't in laptop situations?

None of my laptop drives (excluding so far: SSDs but offtopic) last long, but they were all in laptops...
                              Not sure about the others (though I've got an 8 year old WD Blue in my PS3 and haven't had any issues with it), but with the Seagate Momentus (at least the circa 2010s SATA ones), the failure point is usually the controller, so usage is unlikely to matter much. I've had 2 Momentus drives from this era, and one failed completely at around 2 years (no noise or warning, the drive just stopped "showing" up and was inaccessible, likely the infamous controller failure), the other one still kind of works but smelled "burnt" and was very slow (even for a mechanical drive) when I pulled it out of the laptop it was in (and replaced it with an SSD), so those definitely top my personal list of drives to stay away from.

I've got several 10+ year old laptop HDDs (most WD Black or Hitachi) that still work (the oldest being a circa 2006 WD Scorpio WD800VE 5200rpm IDE drive from my first laptop, an Acer Aspire 5004 WLMI my grandfather bought for me for Christmas back in 2005, with the WD drive being an upgrade from the 4200rpm unit the Laptop originally came with, yes once upon a time 5200rpm was actually an "upgrade"), though my Laptops are usually used on a desk or table, not on my lap or being carried while powered on (admittedly I'm less diligent about this now with SSDs, but my laptops are still stationary 95%+ of the time while being used).

As for 2.5" laptop drives vs. 2.5" (or 3.5") desktop drives. Since desktop drives aren't concerned with being thin and light they are generally much more heavily built with larger motors and bearings than laptop drives so I suspect they would last much longer, but I don't have a source of empirical data on this.

Laptop 2.5" (bottom), vs. Desktop 2.5" (WD velociraptor, this is in a heatsink but I still think you can see how much thicker the drive is, middle), vs. Desktop 3.5" (top).

now just the Laptop 2.5" (bottom) and Desktop 2.5" (top), the velociraptor is about 4 times the thickness of the Laptop drive (and both are 160GB drives)
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by dmill89; 08-09-2022, 09:23 PM.

Comment

if you run a laptop on your lap, most will overheat because the intake for the cpu fan is on the underside.

this is fucking dumb btw, on older machines the intake was ofen through the keyboard or the side of the machine

Comment

On any laptop drive dying check for SMART attribute #191 and keep a
                                  simple statistics.
                                  On almost any 2,5'' drive I worked for data recovery or refurbishing
                                  that value make me understand what happened to the drive!

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                    this is the vid you talking about https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b0JcNqkZrk the drives codename are rosewood and just by looking at it's platters cover you can judge that it is a shitty designed drive

Comment

i have heard momaka mention before that some consoles also use 2.5" laptop drives and he has had encountered many consoles with busted laptop drives too. i dont think people regularly use their consoles as a frisbee though... though they can get knocked over accidentally from time to time.

i also only use wd scorpio black as the only type of spinning rust drive in my laptops. i sometimes switch back to using spinning rust in my laptop from an ssd when i need to do some write intensive applications. its a transcend qlc ssd so it cant handle heavy writing. dont want to wear out the qlc drive sooner and make more crap in the landfill!

Comment

hmm interesting. Also I suspect a lot of AIO PCs use 2.5" drives too, though there may be enough space to squeeze a 3.5" somewhere...

Yes. QLC/TLC SSDs don't do well in high turnover data applications. Which is disappointing as that's what it make it nice - the write speed...

(I use a MLC/2BPC SSD to cache my rust spinners on my server. I cache most of the usual stuff but have another partition that I don't cache - and the high turnover stuff gets put there.)

Comment

Working...
                                        X