Asus Gl553VW turn on no windows boot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Asus Gl553VW turn on no windows boot

I forgot 1 step for the basic checks. Power up the laptop with the keyboard disconnected from MB (short pins 25+26 on keyboard connector to power on). I know it may sound silly but a faulty keyboard can also cause shutdown issues.

Other than that, all voltages seem ok and as pointed out by @piernov, +VCCGT behaviour may be normal in this case and it will kick in only when demanded.

What I would try now is to backup the ROM and flash another known good BIOS. Try flashing the original BIOS IC first and in case it doesn't work, flash BIOS to a fresh new IC.

Make sure the BIOS IC and your programmer are compatible before proceeding.

Comment

Originally posted by Smoxx View Post
      I forgot 1 step for the basic checks. Power up the laptop with the keyboard disconnected from MB (short pins 25+26 on keyboard connector to power on). I know it may sound silly but a faulty keyboard can also cause shutdown issues.

Other than that, all voltages seem ok and as pointed out by @piernov, +VCCGT behaviour may be normal in this case and it will kick in only when demanded.

What I would try now is to backup the ROM and flash another known good BIOS. Try flashing the original BIOS IC first and in case it doesn't work, flash BIOS to a fresh new IC.

Make sure the BIOS IC and your programmer are compatible before proceeding.

i tried without keyboard/mouse plugged out. No difference.

I just used ch341a programmer and first backedup the original bios. its 8mb.
      if i download the new bios from asus website and extract with uefipatch its 6mb.
      with version 304 laptop wont boot anymore. same with version 306.
      i put back original bios and works. stil shutdown on windows loading.
      mmm thats kinda weird!?

Edit: found a 8mb original flash. flashed it and stil same issue, shutdown on windows loading.

i have a new winbond chip stil here wich i wil try tomorrow.
      I hounestly dont think that wud solve the problem tho

what is there else we can look for ? do u think the cpu is broken ?
      Last edited by Pfudaniel; 02-19-2021, 02:51 PM.

Comment

you tried booting a live system yet ?or tried installing from usb ?

Comment

Yes. You need to flash a full BIOS image... and no, I don't think CPU is broken.

I did some research and I found that auto shutdown is a common issue for ROG laptops due to CPU throttling.

Do you have voltage settings in BIOS?

Comment

Originally posted by petehall347 View Post
            you tried booting a live system yet ?or tried installing from usb ?
            Thanks for ur respond !

yes im trying it from usb, windows is installed by now ( very lucky it came that far ) but cant get into windows it wil shutdown on the loading screen
            ive tried the m.2 from my own laptop with windows installed on it, stil same issue.

Comment

Yes. You need to flash a full BIOS image... and no, I don't think CPU is broken.

I did some research and I found that auto shutdown is a common issue for ROG laptops due to CPU throttling.

Do you have voltage settings in BIOS?
              thats good news at least! no im sorry no settings in bios for voltage.
              The bios is very basic

Comment

Ok. If you have a full BIOS dump I can take a look in the advanced settings.

Comment

awsome! here it is.

https://filebin.net/6kflt66ng1a45zi6

Comment

do you get a blue screen error message flash up ?
                    its just i battled with a win 7 not starting .had to change ahci to ide in bios .. its fine now .
                    Last edited by petehall347; 02-19-2021, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by petehall347 View Post
                      do you get a blue screen error message flash up ?
                      No blue screen, it just shuts down. I can hear a sound coming from speakers tho, "tok"

Comment

Originally posted by Pfudaniel View Post
                        Ok. I'll look into it.

Is this BIOS text mode or it has graphical interface as the picture attached?
                        Attached Files

Comment

Ok. I'll look into it.

Is this BIOS text mode or it has graphical interface as the picture attached?
                          the bios is TEXT mode, no graphical interface

Comment

Flash this one and check if there is CPU Configuration in Advanced Settings.
                            Attached Files

Comment

no theres no advanced settings its the same bios just version 306

Comment

Let's try this one.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Let's try this one.
                                  thanks again i flashed this bios on it, no settings for advanced or cpu.

i managed to boot into windows tho, for the first time! it seems if the laptop is off for a couple ours it can stay on a bit longer. Once in windows after 2 minutes it shutted down again. There is something with the power delivery. this is a fact.
                                  the question is what cud it be? il be looking in boardview in a moment to see what al delivers/controls the power. i think the problem lays there. super i/o? power management control chips ? thanks!

Comment

its only u3101 (EMBEDDED CONTR IT8176FN-56A/BX
                                    PEGA/0638-0077000 ITE QFN-48 ) and u3001 (C.S IT8587E/FX LQFP128
                                    ITE EMBEDDED CONTROLLER ) i gues ?

i wil let the caps drain from the vccgt rail. i think if their empty 0.0v and i startup the computer boots further. once their loaded the computer shuts down on loading screen from windows. il post in a bit to make sure this is the case or not.

EDIT: ah makes no difference
                                    Last edited by Pfudaniel; 02-20-2021, 04:28 AM.

Comment

If you are able to boot OS then you can try undervolt CPU via software to check if it's related to CPU throttling.

Here's a guide:

https://linustechtips.com/topic/1085...e-intelnvidia/

Comment

If you are able to boot OS then you can try undervolt CPU via software to check if it's related to CPU throttling.

Here's a guide:

https://linustechtips.com/topic/1085...e-intelnvidia/
                                        Yeah it was just a 1 time thing, for a very short period of time. cant get in windows anymore. Stil shutdown on loading..

Comment

Originally posted by Pfudaniel View Post
                                          Let's try this one.
                                          In future please put all bios requests in the "Bios requests ONLY!" section - https://www.badcaps.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40 .That way the main laptop forum won`t turn to shit again with umpteen bios requests and dumps. Thank you
                                          All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Working...
                                          X