Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would cause a TV to do this? (Old Sony)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would cause a TV to do this? (Old Sony)

So there's an old TV in the living room. The picture starts out fine for a few minutes then does what's in the pic. Sometimes it'll go back to working fine or stays like that until it's turned off. The sound works fine so I just use it for the music channels. Is it connection issue or something inside?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by CapsDude; 02-03-2021, 06:27 PM.

Re: What would cause a TV to do this? (Old Sony)

If the fault is intermittent, check the connections on the vertical output ic and in the vertical output section.
    This is a Sharp not a Sony
    How about a model number? and when you take the back off, provide some pictures of the chassis.
    Last edited by R_J; 02-03-2021, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
      If the fault is intermittent, check the connections on the vertical output ic and in the vertical output section.
      How about a model number? and when you take the back off, provide some pictures of the chassis.
      Haha, and it says Sharp in the pic too. See, what happened was..

The sticker fell off in the back with the model number and all that but from doing some research it appears to be 25j-s100. I'll take the back off and take the pics tomorrow.

Comment

There is likely a model/chassis sticker inside somewhere. If this is the model (or 25k-s100) the vertical output ic is IC501 mounted to a heatsink near the center of the board
        Last edited by R_J; 02-03-2021, 07:48 PM.

Comment

If 25j-s100 , resolder ic501 ( TA8403K )( remove old solder / clean / resolder )

For good measure also replace c508 35v 100uf & c510 35v 1000uf

B.Rgds

John

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
            Finally got the back off.

I took it to my room and hooked it up to a different coaxial cable and it seemed to work when I moved the cable to a certain position but the tuner is fine. Dont think its the cable cause it works on the other TV.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by CapsDude; 02-25-2021, 10:27 PM.

Comment

It's an old crt tv right? if it's not a simple fix, you can grab another, they give them away daily on craigslist, just always make sure the meeting place isn't a dark alley.

Comment

Originally posted by nomoresonys View Post
                It's an old crt tv right? if it's not a simple fix, you can grab another, they give them away daily on craigslist, just always make sure the meeting place isn't a dark alley.
                have you checked recent prices of old crt tv.s and monitors ?

Comment

Originally posted by CapsDude View Post
                  Finally got the back off.

I took it to my room and hooked it up to a different coaxial cable and it seemed to work when I moved the cable to a certain position but the tuner is fine. Dont think its the cable cause it works on the other TV.
                  If you want it fixed, do what we suggested and solder the vertical output ic.

Comment

Originally posted by petehall347 View Post
                    have you checked recent prices of old crt tv.s and monitors ?
                    Here in the U.S. they are FREE in perfect working order, might be a different story in your neck of the woods. I gave all mine away about 10 years ago.
                    Last edited by nomoresonys; 02-26-2021, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nomoresonys View Post
                      Here in the U.S. they are FREE in perfect working order, might be a different story in your neck of the woods. I gave all mine away about 10 years ago.
                      was like that here .. not even worth repairing back then . but now lots want them for gaming .

Comment

Not a big gamer but when I do I gotta have at least 720P.

Comment

Working...
                        X