Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Issue with Samsung UE32D5520 turning on and off

Hi,

I'm having an issue with my son's Samsung UE32D5520. The television will turn on and off within 3-5 seconds. The screen starts, I get the Samsung logo, then it goes black and off. I have replaced 3 capacitors (2 x 16V 1000uF and 1 x 200V 68uF) on the power board (BN44-04660A) as a shot in the dark after reading some information online.

From opening up the television and inspecting the power board there is a humming/buzzing noise coming from the board although it's difficult to pinpoint exactly where this is coming from.

I enclose pictures of the board below and excuse the slight burn mark on the reverse of the board which happened when I was replacing one of the capacitors

Any tips or suggestions or am I better off just buying a replacement PSU or a new TV?
    Attached Files

Re: Issue with Samsung UE32D5520 turning on and off

Is CM858 also showing signs of bowing on top?
    If you disconnect the power supply from the mainboard and power up do the backlights come on and stay on?

Is the 68uF 200V capacitor connected securely to the other components on that track? One leg looks as though it needs to be soldered again.
    You can clean the flux away with alcohol or I believe nail varnish remover if nothing else at hand. No pun intended.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by dick_barton; 02-27-2021, 08:23 AM.
    Willing to help but I'm no expert.

Comment

Just a bit more information.

When the main board is connected to the power board I can hear a buzzing/humming noise until the TV turns off. When the main board is disconnected, the backlight stays on and there is no humming/buzzing noise.

Some video examples in case it is helpful.

Video #1 - Video of TV turning on and off

Video #2 - Video of noise when power board and main board are connected

Video #3 - Similar to the above

Video #4 - Video of power board when main board is disconnected

Comment

Originally posted by dick_barton View Post
        Is CM858 also showing signs of bowing on top?
        If you disconnect the power supply from the mainboard and power up do the backlights come on and stay on?

Is the 68uF 200V capacitor connected securely to the other components on that track? One leg looks as though it needs to be soldered again.
        You can clean the flux away with alcohol or I believe nail varnish remover if nothing else at hand. No pun intended.
        Thanks for the response Dick.

In relation to the 68uF 200V that you highlighted, that was one of the capacitors that I replaced in my attempt to correct the issue. I will clean it out and re-solder again as suggested.

In relation to CM858, it looks ok to me except for the top of the capacitor is slightly indented on one side. I have attached photos of the capacitor below.
        Attached Files

Comment

Another image with the indent highlighted in red as it is difficult to see in the photos.
          Attached Files

Comment

So about 12 off and 2 seconds on, just had a sammy did the same thing, a replacement mainboard fixed it.
            Last edited by nomoresonys; 02-27-2021, 08:51 AM.

Comment

Check the lights on your tcon board if you have a stand alone one, I bet they go on and off with the picture too.

Comment

I wonder if this is a firmware issue that a lot of these smart tv's appear to suffer from.
                Firmware file https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/m...E32D5520RKXXU/

Comment

Could very well be, I could not freeze it long enough to do an update.

Comment

Originally posted by nomoresonys View Post
                    So about 12 off and 2 seconds on, just had a sammy did the same thing, a replacement mainboard fixed it.
                    Thanks, I'll see if I can do a bit more troubleshooting but if not I will try replace the main board.

Check the lights on your tcon board if you have a stand alone one, I bet they go on and off with the picture too.
                    Thanks, I'm not sure what a Tcon board is. I have attached images below of the boards on the unit.

I wonder if this is a firmware issue that a lot of these smart tv's appear to suffer from.
                    Firmware file https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/m...E32D5520RKXXU/
                    Thanks for the suggestion, is it possible to install an update when the TV is powering on and off? I can't currently use the menu or settings as it won't stay on long enough to go that far.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Picture 3 of 4 is your Tcon board

Comment

Picture 3 of 4 is your Tcon board
                        Thanks, can't see any lights flashing on the Tcon board.

Comment

Got an interesting video here somewhere, here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJ8HSLlOwA8
                          Last edited by nomoresonys; 02-27-2021, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Got an interesting video here somewhere, here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJ8HSLlOwA8
                            Cheers, sounds promising. I'll give it a shot and let you know how I get on.

Comment

Nand failure of these boards is a common issue with the main board. You might if you are lucky freeze the nand and allow it to boot up then immeadiately update it with the firmware for it with usb stick. Make sure you have the usb memory stick fully prepared before freezing the nand. With luck you maybe able to get it going without replacing the nand on the main board. Main boards for it will be expensive as they regularly fail and need to be replaced!

Comment

Update:

So I froze the nand chip and I can get the TV to stay on for longer but now the problem is that I cannot update the software as I am already on the latest version (1027). I accessed the service menu and performed a factory reset but that does not roll back the software. Any ideas on how to proceed now?

Comment

I think you can rename your file to force an update but I cannot remember what the procedure was. It has been mentioned several times on the site so I'm sure a member will be able to tell you how.

Comment

Could be that the updates are messing up the nand chips or nand chips could just be junk. The fix isn't easy. Looks like the options are a replacement mainboard, possibly taking out nand chip and reprogramming, buying new nand chip and programming or buying new nand chip already programmed, the chip you need is K9GAG08U0E but if it isn't programmed it won't work.

Comment

The K9GAG08U0E has bad blocks. This model suffers from it.
                                      It requires a new NAND, they are available pre programmed for around £20.

Comment

Just saw Mr. Barton's suggestion, good call, I would try that first, could work if it was just a bad update and the nand isn't faulty.
                                        Last edited by nomoresonys; 03-02-2021, 08:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X