Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asus P5KPL blown capacitor

Hello.
    I have a Asus P5Q motherboard. I replaced all the capacitors. motherboard will not boot. just a little shook fans. I disconnected 12v rail. motherboard lights up, the fans are spinning. but I almost immediately exploded capacitor 470uF next graphic slots. are something shorted near that capacitor?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by crozoki; 04-16-2015, 09:36 AM.

Re: Asus P5KPL blown capacitor

I have read in the forum and I quote "Be careful of polarity, Asus puts capacitors the other way around, the filled section on the pcb is the positive side of capacitors". Perhaps because of this??

Comment

I looked at an old Asus board. I turned them wrong. Tell you whether it works when I replace them again.

Comment

unfortunately turning them may not be enough.
        You should really replace with new as they may be damaged.
        If one exploded think how damaged the others might be
        Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Yup. I've done that plenty of times with ASUS boards. All the more reason I hate them.
          I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by selldoor View Post
            unfortunately turning them may not be enough.
            You should really replace with new as they may be damaged.
            If one exploded think how damaged the others might be
            x2
            "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
            -David VanHorn

Comment

I give you a little advice for when you go to welding capacitors, when you have the condenser outside, you take a multimeter, you put it in continuity, put the negative cable to the negative connector ATX 20-pin, and then looking for continuity in the negative condenser, if a continuation that is the negative pole.
              I always do when I go to if welding a capacitor, whether saving me from future problems.
              (Sorry my bad english)
              Bye
              Gaming pc:
              nVidia RTX 3080 TI, Corsair RM750I.
              Workshop PC:
              Intel core i5 8400, Intel SSD 256GB, nvidia gt1030, asus b365-a.
              Server:

Comment

Originally posted by kevin! View Post
                I give you a little advice for when you go to welding capacitors, when you have the condenser outside, you take a multimeter, you put it in continuity, put the negative cable to the negative connector ATX 20-pin, and then looking for continuity in the negative condenser, if a continuation that is the negative pole.
                I always do when I go to if welding a capacitor, whether saving me from future problems.
                (Sorry my bad english)
                Bye
                Good tip!
                "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
                  Good tip!
                  Mhmm, indeed!

Also, when you desolder a capacitor and replace it, you can have the board sitting so the negative faces in one direction, like, to the right, for example - so you will know which way to put the new one in. Of course, if you forget which direction is the negative ... well, yeah. Just check to see which pin is which with the multimeter like kevin! said.

Also, you can take a few pictures of the board before you re-cap it
                  That way you can look back and see which caps are connected which way. And possibly even which value of caps go in which spots.
                  Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

always take photo for ref

Comment

always

round hole is negative.
                      square hole is positive

Comment

(Sorry my bad english)
                        Good tip !

Comment

Always look which way old capacitors are mounted in motherboard. Just recently replaced some caps in Asus P5K and when reapplied power they immediately blowed. I took a closer look, and also searched some info from internet too - it seams that in many asus boards + and - pcb markings are wrong way. I can confirm this as I compared P5K with another (older) motherboard. Then I just replaced the blown caps with new ones, soldered them 'wrong way', and P5K worked again!

So it's important to check how the capacitor is mounted, not to trust on pcb markings.
                          Last edited by euromatlox; 09-09-2016, 05:25 PM.

Comment

P5Qs rarely had KZGs! Only some lower versions would, if they even did, IIRC...

They are almost always Fujitsu/FPCAP

While OTOH, Foxconn OEM motherboards for Dell usually has KZGs...

And the OEM for Acer, which appears to be ECS, probably uses both TK and Chemi-Con KZGs...
                            Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 09-09-2016, 08:15 PM.
                            ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Working...
                            X