How bad does a bad cap look?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How bad does a bad cap look?

My tv stopped working this week, blank screen & no sound, but power OK. Took the back off and had a look at the main board. It looked OK at first, but when I had a closer look at the capacitors, saw that 5 of them had very slightly bulging tops. Think that may be the problem? I've sent for some replacements anyway, because if it's anything else it will be cheaper to buy a secondhand TV, rather than get this one repaired.

Re: How bad does a bad cap look?

caps go bad BEFORE they look bad.
    so if they look bad - they are very bad!

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
      caps go bad before they look bad.
      So if they look bad - they are very bad!
      This! +1

This site has a resource on that: https://www.badcaps.net/index.php?pageid=identity
      Last edited by goontron; 08-21-2016, 03:07 PM.
      Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Thanks guys.

Comment

I too feel your pain. After literally years of procrastination, I finally got serious about opening up my Sammy 61A750 DLP to do some long overdue cleaning and repair its increasingly noticeable "white dot" problem. This TV has VERY HIGH usage so in the back of my mind I "knew" there would be other (cap) issues once I got inside. Not only did I find numerous bulging PS caps (and I mean BULGING), I found one totally open (560 uf/200wv) and many more with bad ESR and/or capacitance levels. Needless-to-say, they are all now sitting on my bench with their legs in the air while I research replacements. Thank you "SAMWA" for years of service but you will be replaced with Pannys!!! Good luck on your set - don't give up..... repairs can be "fun"!

Comment

Originally posted by catleugh View Post
            My tv stopped working this week, blank screen & no sound, but power OK. Took the back off and had a look at the main board. It looked OK at first, but when I had a closer look at the capacitors, saw that 5 of them had very slightly bulging tops. Think that may be the problem? I've sent for some replacements anyway, because if it's anything else it will be cheaper to buy a secondhand TV, rather than get this one repaired.
            For your viewing pleasure, here are some really bad looking caps.
            https://www.google.com/search?q=capa...w=1030&bih=887

Comment

caps go bad BEFORE they look bad
              How can we know the caps are bad if they don't look bad ?

Comment

These are still working.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by bianchi77 View Post
                  with an ESR meter

Comment

ESR meter.
                    i have had many caps that look like new that are bad
                    My pc
                    CPU : AMD PHENOM II x4 @ 3.5Ghz
                    MB : ASUS M4A89TD PRO USB3
                    RAM : Kingston ValueRAM 16gb DDR3
                    PSU : Cooler Master 850W Silent Pro
                    GPU : ATI Radeon HD 6850

Comment

Place a stethoscope on the top and listen for a gurgling sound.

Comment

no they are not.those are open now.
                        the 2 polys are eating all the ripple and allowing the board to limp along.
                        Originally posted by junktv View Post
                        These are still working.

Comment

you may want to get something like this.
                          http://www.ebay.com/itm/222210243721

Comment

Originally posted by joshnz View Post
                            ESR meter.
                            i have had many caps that look like new that are bad
                            +1
                            https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=56932

no bulging. looks like new..All of bad 400 v.

Comment

Originally posted by junktv View Post
                              These are still working.
                              Wow, that board looks a bit rough! Used to see a lot of pcb's and components looking like that when I was repairing in Hawaii. That salt air gets to everything after a while.

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu View Post
                                no they are not.those are open now.
                                the 2 polys are eating all the ripple and allowing the board to limp along.
                                Speaking of ripple sometimes the bestech psu powering it needs a little heat from a hair dryer to get going.

It needs some attention but so long as it doesn't catch on fire i'm not to concerned with it.

Wait actually i better get at it. I was going to move it to the garage.
                                Last edited by junktv; 09-11-2016, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cdrsteve View Post
                                  I too feel your pain. After literally years of procrastination, I finally got serious about opening up my Sammy 61A750 DLP to do some long overdue cleaning and repair its increasingly noticeable "white dot" problem. This TV has VERY HIGH usage so in the back of my mind I "knew" there would be other (cap) issues once I got inside. Not only did I find numerous bulging PS caps (and I mean BULGING), I found one totally open (560 uf/200wv) and many more with bad ESR and/or capacitance levels. Needless-to-say, they are all now sitting on my bench with their legs in the air while I research replacements. Thank you "SAMWA" for years of service but you will be replaced with Pannys!!! Good luck on your set - don't give up..... repairs can be "fun"!
                                  Amazing just how much of a difference this old set looks with a full re-cap and DMD chip replacement! Bad (and sometimes, marginal ones) caps DO make a difference!

Comment

You can say that again! I finally got around to updating 17 caps in a Gateway FPD2185W monitor and brought it back to life. Actually, I have six of them bought on the cheap from eBay. Manufactured around 2005, they were part of the great Capacitor Plague and people not knowing a capacitor from a resistor were dumping them in droves. Originally, these monitors were msrp at around $600. The LCD has Samsung stamped on it as well as the chassis but the power & video boards were made in China. Four of them are completely restored while one still has a vertical yellow line on the LCD. Another has a cluster of pixels stuck on gray. Both with defects however are still usable. You might say my hobby is keeping old junk alive.
                                    Last edited by Mint Waxed; 09-12-2016, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                    X