Dell U3011 no display after a few minutes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dell U3011 no display after a few minutes

At least plug the DUT into a GFCI outlets.
    Never stop learning
    Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
    http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

I don't like when users here makes confusion with their's issues and inquinate some other's post, let's try to remain on the O.P. sympthoms. As always is not bad to take out the PSU and test it with dummy loads, even if i don't think it is the problem.. also one can stimolate an heat related behavior by sourcing some hot hair to the boards, starting from the t-con, ending on main b'd, triyng to locate always more precisely the area of failure. No one has said if when screen goes blank you see a backlight lit. It is possible that an unconsistent short on a mosfet or ic on tcon or main let go in to protection the psu shutting down also backlight.
      Last edited by Davi.p; 01-19-2017, 05:53 PM.

Comment

It was quite a shocker if you know what I mean ;P I don't think I have the test tools that you all do so I'm going to take a different approach and swap out the parts from another monitor until I find out which one is broken. Then I will try to find out what is broken on that part.

Thank you all!

Comment

One thing I noticed is that a different unit of the same version of my monitor the brightness is so much more powerful. It is hard to see the screen on the monitor that is faulty with the brightness all the way up while it is working. The other unit is easy to see the screen with the brightness at 50%.

Comment

I'm not certain yet, but I think it might be this part that is going bad:

PS-2201-3-HF

Is there a good place to get this replacement part other than ebay?

Thank you!

Comment

90% is a bad.. or are.. ccfl lamp/s, sorry, difficult adventure for you.. it's strange 'cause as the initial of the thread the OP says that with brightness at minimum it lasted longer, but with a faulty lamp it lasts longer with higher brightness, 'cause the higher voltage wins the damaged/burnt electrodes resistance..
              Last edited by Davi.p; 01-27-2017, 05:23 PM.

Comment

After a series of swap and replace actions I found the problem to be what I believe is the power supply. Does it make sense to try to figure out what is broken on the power supply or buy a new one? I swapped the power supply and the power conditioner to get the monitor back to life.

Comment

This is what the power supply looks like:

https://goo.gl/photos/CKimJoEaK72LkQp77

https://goo.gl/photos/opnVkfYn5N2Hvjpc8

Comment

"power conditioner" ? what is? how many hours lasted the test?
                    Last edited by Davi.p; 01-28-2017, 03:31 PM.

Comment

This is what I refer to as the power conditioner:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-DELL...oAAOSwq19XDDmG

It has lasted at least a dozen hours.

Thank you!

Comment

"power conditioner" is a term that i'm unable to translate, anyway that is a mains input filter...
                        "It has lasted at least a dozen hours."
                        what do you mean? At which one do you refer?

It's very a strange behaviour, ususally a bad psu board doesn't work for minutes or hours and after it stop.. apart maybe for bad solder joints, but on switching psu without high voltage transformers i've never heard.. only a thing makes me supect now, since you talk about that "power conditioner" board, on it there is an NTC, it is the 2 legs green pastil, try to measure it's resistance by cold, then measure it in the meantime you heat it with soldering iron, if you see that the resistance lowers to approx 0 ohm and it lasts, it's ok, if not is broken.
                        Last edited by Davi.p; 01-31-2017, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Would you be able to tell me if it has bad solder joints?

Comment

With monitor switched on you hit the board many times with a screwdriver handle.. if problem come up, are bad sol. joints

Comment

Is that the official method lol

Comment

Replaced the power board and "power conditioner" using parts purchased on and everything is running smoothly for the past few days. Thank you all for the help!

Comment

Darran, is your monitor still running w/o issue? I too am experiencing the same problem and want to know whether to order the Dell U3011 Power board PS-2201-3-HF. Thanks!

Comment

I bit the bullet and ended up ordering the part from AliExpress for $50.

Back in business!!!

Comment

Fix broken solder joints of gray rectangular capacitor near the center of PCU board. It worked for me and for some another guy.

Comment

Good to know, thanks for sharing your finding!

Comment

Originally posted by Eugene13 View Post
                                          Fix broken solder joints of gray rectangular capacitor near the center of PCU board. It worked for me and for some another guy.
                                          You're a lifesaver man, that fixed my problem too. Just re-soddered that component and everything is back to normal!

You have saved me $$$ on changing the whole power supply.

Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                                          X