Help diagnosing no backlight and no picture - Wasabi Mango

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help diagnosing no backlight and no picture - Wasabi Mango

Hi there, I have a rather interesting looking set of boards in this Wasabi Mango U400UHD TV (korean OEM), not much information available online.

The components inside appear to be a mismatch of OEMs - the power board comes up as an RCA part? The TCON has Samsung logos on it, and there are no real identifiers on the mainboard, which I think is a generic part?

Either way, I'm not getting any indication of life now, aside from the power LED changing colors and the startup chime. The shutoff chime seems to be gone, although the LED does change from blue to red when shutting down. I was able to get it working for a period of time previously by jiggling some cables (not sure which it was, it just magically started afterwards), but have no such luck now.

I didn't find any obvious test points or things to check on these boards - any pointers for what I should try to diagnose?
    Attached Files

Re: Help diagnosing no backlight and no picture - Wasabi Mango

1) Can you show us the whole back side of the TV showing all the boards so we can see how they are connected together?

2) Remove the power supply board and see if there are pin labels for the connectors printed on the bottom side of the board.
    Never stop learning
    Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
    http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Photos attached below. Thanks for the pointer to look behind the board. I'm guessing my next step will be to test the 5V and 24V outs to see if they're high when the power is on?

There's unfortunately this plastic backing piece which is attached with pins that's rather hard to remove from the power board.
      Attached Files

Comment

Just took some measurements on the PSU - 5VSB line was about 5V with tv off, and measured 12.97V on the +12V line and 5.5V on the +5V line both on the bottom section and top section cables when powered up. Doesn't look like 24V pins are hooked up.

Comment

There's also two other signal lines which look like PON and BK/ON for which the voltages have not been given
          Willing to help but I'm no expert.

Comment

Usually if a tv turns on and off with no backlight or a flash of backlight, the backlights are suspect. A LED tester is helpful in this scenario. Also confirm the backlight on control signal is going high.
            Last edited by neilc6; 02-22-2021, 07:24 AM.

Comment

What's happened to the solder joint of the component above D22 as in your photo 2 - 2 in post #3

Comment

Originally posted by dick_barton View Post
                there's also two other signal lines which look like pon and bk/on for which the voltages have not been given
                +1
                Never stop learning
                Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

What's happened to the solder joint of the component above D22 as in your photo 2 - 2 in post #3
                  Sharp eyes! I think it's just a bit of debris - I was able to remove most of it with tweezers.

Here are the rest of the readings:

PS-ON: 3.1V
                  BK/ON: 5.1V
                  ADJ (I think, pin right above BK/ON): 4.7V

All of these measured about 20-50 mV when TV is powered off. Side note, I just noticed that the optical audio out port lights up when powered on, so it seems like unit is receiving adequate power?

Comment

Any additional thoughts? Would it be possible to verify the backlight is working by shorting some of the pins on the psu directly?

Comment

Can you post a clear picture of the label you mention on the back of the powerboard?

Comment

Originally posted by nomoresonys View Post
                        Can you post a clear picture of the label you mention on the back of the powerboard?
                        There is no "label" per se, just a plastic shield behind the components on the back and where it's mounted against the metal back of the panel.

I've attached another angle of the back of the board, where it's more visible and the top pin outs are clearer. Is there anything else I should look out for?
                        Attached Files

Comment

Can you press menu on the remote and look very carefully with a bright light (torch) at an angle to see if there is an image on the screen.
                          I suspect you have bad led(s) or led connection

Comment

Can you press menu on the remote and look very carefully with a bright light (torch) at an angle to see if there is an image on the screen.
                            I think you're right - I kept clicking around in the menus to see if it was visible, and started to see text at a very precise angle - very hard to find!

Miraculously, the TV suddenly lit up while I was doing this. It seems to be working as normal now, not really sure why - nothing was really changed during this time, and connections are the same. I noticed the back panel was a little warm, so could it have needed to warm up?

Still perplexed at why.. I checked pure white and black screens, and the lighting appears to be uniform as well.

Comment

So it does appear to be some sort of backlight only issue. If you get it running again, turn the backlights down as far as you can while still having a visible image and see if this alters the sets behaviour.
                              Last edited by dick_barton; 02-27-2021, 04:44 AM.

Comment

can you press menu on the remote and look very carefully with a bright light (torch) at an angle to see if there is an image on the screen.
                                +10

Comment

Yep, definitely the backlight. The set worked fine for about 5 power cycles, but now it's not lighting up again. Seems odd that it's temperamental, but I guess I'll have to take apart the panel and start testing the bulbs individually now.

Comment

Sounds like a loose connection in the back lights, most likely why it works only sometimes, lots of times a tap on the tv here and there (NOT ON THE SCREEN) will temporarily make the connection and it will work till it loses contact again.

Comment

Working...
                                    X