Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Designing a peltier cooling system

Hi all,

First of all, I m not sure where this thread should go. My apologies if this is the wrong section.

I'm currently studying solvent crystallization in materials and would like to create a discrete cooling system that I can place under a microscope to observe crystallization. To be more specific, I need to create a temperature gradient with freezing temperatures (ideally down to -30°C) on one side and room temperature on the other. After some research in the literature, I found exactly what I need:

https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-01902742/document

Now, what they built is rather complex. Fortunately, I don't need the whole thing. The very first step and most important one is to build a system with two peltiers that are temperature controlled, connected with a temperature sensor to place on the material to be cooled.

I know the very basics of electronics and enjoy tinkering with stuff. My hopes was that you guys could help me answer some questions and guide me through the process.

I m gonna get the same peltier modules they got. The peltier modules are 3.9 A and 15.7 Vdc. The temperature controller they use is $1000. It's a TEC-1122 Dual Thermo Electric Cooling Temperature Controller. I m not sure why they got such an expensive device. My guess is that this is for lab use and it's super accurate which usually equals super expensive. This is not a requirement in my case.

Can I use a more reasonably priced temperature controller that has an output around 15Vdc ? I was looking at the inkbird ITC-106RL which is around $25. I would need two of them to control the two peltier modules.

I have more questions but I think this is a good start.

Thank you!

Vrasp
    Attached Files

Re: Designing a peltier cooling system

No and it's complex as it needs to be. The water cooled silicon carbide heatsink looks interesting.

Comment

That's too bad. Could you tell me what cheaper controllers don't have that make them inadequate for this project? If I can understand what exactly is required, I could try to find something in between.

In their setup, the authors were able to go from -25°C to +90°C. Honestly, if I can get to -10°C and keep the second Peltier at room temp, that's a start. Let's just say the aim of this project is to first see if I can build something that can create a stable temperature gradient. If it works, I can easily get the budget to set up something more efficient with a bigger temp range.

Any guidance would be helpful. Thanks!

Vrasp

Comment

The TEC-1122 will provide power constantly to give precise control. the inkbird just turns on or off.
        A pair of 30v 5A power supplies will give you the control you want, i think you'll need some sort of water chiller though.

Comment

We have water-baths in the lab that I can hook up to a heat sink. Are you saying I could just hook up adjustable power supplies and just figure out the amperage needed to get to the temperature I need? Assuming a constant room temp and minimal effect from the heat transfer with the sample.

Comment

Yes, I'd use adjustable power supplies. Aren't water baths heated ? There's a reason they've picked a chiller that goes to -5c.

Comment

These waterbaths can go to negative temps. I 've actually been using one that goes to -15°C for my current experiments.

Comment

Nice, I'm guessing you have power supplies already so just the heatsink to sort.

Comment

Working...
                X