Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is my silver conductive trace paint not conductive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is my silver conductive trace paint not conductive?

I'm working on repairing a keyboard, there is trace damage on the membrane. So I got my little pen of silver conductive trace repair paint and repaired the trace. Let it completely dry, test it, and its not working. So I take my multimeter out, put it on continuity, touch 2 different area of the paint, and nothing. I put it on resistance, I get OL most of the time, occasionally it might flash to something ridiculous like 17 mega ohms or something.

Why is this stuff not working? This is what I am using https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B88B9KI

Re: Why is my silver conductive trace paint not conductive?

Here is the data sheet for this part number

https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...fc6efabdc7.pdf

Did you shake the tube for a while before you apply the product and did you let it dry for 24 hours before you checked the resistance

You might have to do another layer of the product before you get the results that you are suppose to get

I personally have not used the product before so I can only go by the data sheet

You might want to get in touch with the company that made the product for technical support
    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 05-04-2022, 02:20 PM.
    9 PC LCD Monitor
    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
    30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
    10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
    6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
    1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
    25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
    6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
    1 Dell Mother Board
    15 Computer Power Supply
    1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
    2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
    All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post
      Here is the data sheet for this part number

https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...fc6efabdc7.pdf

Did you shake the tube for a while before you apply the product and did you let it dry for 24 hours before you checked the resistance

You might have to do another layer of the product before you get the results that you are suppose to get

I personally have not used the product before so I can only go by the data sheet

You might want to get in touch with the company that made the product for technical support
      I am shaking it up, and I have let it dry completely, and it appears to be a very inconsistent product. The way I am applying it is I am blotting it onto a piece of plastic, then using a paintbrush to apply it. So I have 5-6 dried puddles of the stuff on this piece of plastic. I checked those for continuity, and some of them beep right away, and some are just dead OL.

I did read some people complaining that buying it from Amazon is a bad idea as this stuff loses potency the longer it sits and so it should always be purchased direct form the manufacturer. I will try picking up another tube and see if I can get this damn keyboard working

Comment

Originally posted by SluggerB View Post
        I am shaking it up, and I have let it dry completely, and it appears to be a very inconsistent product. The way I am applying it is I am blotting it onto a piece of plastic, then using a paintbrush to apply it. So I have 5-6 dried puddles of the stuff on this piece of plastic. I checked those for continuity, and some of them beep right away, and some are just dead OL.

I did read some people complaining that buying it from Amazon is a bad idea as this stuff loses potency the longer it sits and so it should always be purchased direct form the manufacturer. I will try picking up another tube and see if I can get this damn keyboard working
        I would try contacting the manufacturer end tell them the problem you are have with their product.
        Here is a interesting read.
        https://eprpartner.com/conductive-ep...%20is%20secure.

Comment

I tried a few more coats of the stuff, and tested it with my meter both wet and completely dry, and this shit isn't conducting anything. Luckily I saved the packaging, I'm sending it back. $33 and a lot of frustration for this garbage

Comment

Just as a follow up I returned the garbage I had before and ordered the Chip Quik brand of conductive paint and it worked perfectly (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FBBBD87)

Comment

Working...
            X