X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cyberpower CP900EPFCLCD - F03 Error

Hello guys.
    Please help me fix this UPS!

I got this UPS from a guy on Ebay. It stated that it wasn't working, but didn't specify about the F03 error.
    Anyway, when I received it, I supposed that just the battery was dead, a quick fix. Changed the battery, connected the device, and everything worked without issues. However, three days later, the UPS started beeping, showed the F03 error, and had to switch it off, as I didn't know what was going on.

Going forward, I researched about the problem, and found that it was an issue with the charging circuit. It seems that, while the battery was at full charge, the ups was working normally. It was when the battery lost part of the charge, and the circuit tried to recharge it, that the problems arised.

I opened the box, and found that a cap and the vyper22a were blown. And also, it is possible that other parts are bad, as the infamous glue was around several critical spots. I removed all of the glue, but obviously the parts need to be swapped.

I removed the blown cap and the vyper22a, but in the process, I also broke a SMD capacitor (C15). Does any of you know the capacity of the white capacitor I removed by mistake? Or if there is a way to calculate it?
    Furthermore, I think the zener diode and the s1g diode may be also dead. Any idea of the values of the piece were I to buy it? So far, I ordered the capacitor, the vyper22a, and some smd capacitors, but I don't know about which values I need.

So, long story short, I need the specs for the white capacitor (C15) and the zener diode (Z1) in order to buy them to try to replace them.
    Could you give me some ideas, please? I am really in the dark right now What other components should I test? Is there anything else I could do?

Thanks everyone!
    Attached Files

Re: Cyberpower CP900EPFCLCD - F03 Error

The datasheet for those IC's contains implementation examples.
    Usually the manufacturers follow those quite closely so that is a good starting point.
    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
      The datasheet for those IC's contains implementation examples.
      Usually the manufacturers follow those quite closely so that is a good starting point.
      Do you mean the datasheet for the Viper22a or the board? I am pretty inexperienced in electronics, so I'd appreciate if you could share a link to follow, please.

Comment

Originally posted by Shinjinkun View Post
        Do you mean the datasheet for the Viper22a or the board? I am pretty inexperienced in electronics, so I'd appreciate if you could share a link to follow, please.
        Well, if you can find a schematic for the UPS, that would be great. But if not, the VIPer22a datasheet does contain a lot of useful information.

VIPer22a datasheet:
        https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...55464b79b4.pdf

So, long story short, I need the specs for the white capacitor (C15) and the zener diode (Z1) in order to buy them to try to replace them.
        Z1 is not that critical for the operation of the VIPer22a - it's there for protection, in case V_dd goes too high. Since the VIPer22a IC is rated for up to 50V on the V_dd pin (though operating, it is specified for 9-38V), my guess would be that a Zener anywhere in the range of 30-40V should be safe to use without possibly clamping too early (if the transformer's primary auxiliary winding - the winding that supplies V_dd to the IC via diode D5 - has a really high output, for example.)

Just make sure diode D5 is good or replace it. Here, a fast-recovery 40-100V rated diode should work fine.

Also, don't forget to replace the small 50V, 47 uF cap! That's your startup/run cap.

As for ceramic cap C15... this one might be a little more challenging to guess. I don't see anything in the VIPer22a datasheet that specifies how to calculate it. That said, I looked up images of random VIPer22a schematics, and the value for the capacitor in this spot varies anywhere from 220 nF to 10 nF. My guess would be that 47-100 nanoFarads will be OK. Just know that the higher the capacitance, the slower the response of the feedback to the IC will get. This could be a good thing or a bad thigh, of course. From what I'm seeing from the online picture schematics, 47 nF is the most common value, so perhaps go with that. As for voltage rating... since pin 3 of the VIPer IC gets is current from the V_dd supply through an optocoupler's output transistor, the voltage will probably be lower. Nevertheless, 35V-50V rating of the cap should be sufficient.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
          Well, if you can find a schematic for the UPS, that would be great. But if not, the VIPer22a datasheet does contain a lot of useful information.

VIPer22a datasheet:
          https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...55464b79b4.pdf

Z1 is not that critical for the operation of the VIPer22a - it's there for protection, in case V_dd goes too high. Since the VIPer22a IC is rated for up to 50V on the V_dd pin (though operating, it is specified for 9-38V), my guess would be that a Zener anywhere in the range of 30-40V should be safe to use without possibly clamping too early (if the transformer's primary auxiliary winding - the winding that supplies V_dd to the IC via diode D5 - has a really high output, for example.)

Just make sure diode D5 is good or replace it. Here, a fast-recovery 40-100V rated diode should work fine.

Also, don't forget to replace the small 50V, 47 uF cap! That's your startup/run cap.

As for ceramic cap C15... this one might be a little more challenging to guess. I don't see anything in the VIPer22a datasheet that specifies how to calculate it. That said, I looked up images of random VIPer22a schematics, and the value for the capacitor in this spot varies anywhere from 220 nF to 10 nF. My guess would be that 47-100 nanoFarads will be OK. Just know that the higher the capacitance, the slower the response of the feedback to the IC will get. This could be a good thing or a bad thigh, of course. From what I'm seeing from the online picture schematics, 47 nF is the most common value, so perhaps go with that. As for voltage rating... since pin 3 of the VIPer IC gets is current from the V_dd supply through an optocoupler's output transistor, the voltage will probably be lower. Nevertheless, 35V-50V rating of the cap should be sufficient.
          Wow, that's a thorough explanation! Let me review all these values and see if I could get all these components. But at least, it looks promising
          Thanks a lot for the suggestions!

Comment

Wow, that's a thorough explanation! Let me review all these values and see if I could get all these components. But at least, it looks promising
            Thanks a lot for the suggestions!
            FYI, I already ordered all the missing components.

I got a zener diode kit for Z1, with several values:
            ZMM30V (30 V), ZMM33V (V), ZMM36V (36 V),ZMM39V (V).
            Which one of them should I use? You commented it should be between 30 to 40V, but which one should do better?

Bought the S1G cause I think is in bad shape.
            Got an extra 50V 47uF in case it doesn't work.

For the C15, also got a kit with loads of values, 47nF included. I hope that one should work ok.

One last comment, in case the SMD resistor 551 break or something, also got a resistor kit but, the kit only contains a 560 OHM, instead of the 550 OHM that the 551 should have. Because they have a 5% tolerance, I suppose it should work too...

I will let you know once I receive all the components. Thanks again!

Comment

One last comment, in case the SMD resistor 551 break or something, also got a resistor kit but, the kit only contains a 560 OHM, instead of the 550 OHM that the 551 should have. Because they have a 5% tolerance, I suppose it should work too...

I will let you know once I receive all the components. Thanks again!
              It should work
              9 PC LCD Monitor
              6 LCD Flat Screen TV
              30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
              10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
              6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
              1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
              25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
              6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
              1 Dell Mother Board
              15 Computer Power Supply
              1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
              2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
              All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Hi guys!
                Finally, I got all the components needed to reattach.
                As you can see in the attached picture, I got:
                Viper22a integrated
                Capacitor 400V 10uF
                Capacitor 50V 47uF
                Diode S1G
                Capacitor SMD 470pF
                Zener Diode MELF 39V

I already removed all the components.
                I checked the 50V cap, but I found that it was fine... anyway, I will put a new one.
                About the 551 resistor, I don't think I need to change it.
                Do you have any suggestion to resold everything back?
                Is there any test I should perform after having everything in place?
                Thanks again!
                Attached Files

Comment

So have you tried to power up this switching power supply yet to see if you fix it or not
                  9 PC LCD Monitor
                  6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                  30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                  10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                  6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                  1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                  25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                  6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                  1 Dell Mother Board
                  15 Computer Power Supply
                  1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                  2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                  All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post
                    So have you tried to power up this switching power supply yet to see if you fix it or not
                    No, I haven't yet, as I didn't complete all the soldering. I am waiting to get a socket for the integrated, so once I receive it, I will complete the final piece. I attached the picture of the current motherboard after soldering most of the components.

I will show you the final pictures and tell you if it works or not once it's complete.

Thanks!
                    Attached Files

Comment

@Shinjinkun

Very nice soldering on your board.

Have you tested the UPS yet?
                      Auto mator

Comment

Originally posted by pete_c View Post
                        @Shinjinkun

Very nice soldering on your board.

Have you tested the UPS yet?
                        @pete_c I finished with the fix a couple of days ago, but I was using it in case I got the F03 error again. It doesn't look like it is the case though. So far is working great.

Big thanks to @momaka for the suggestions of components. It seems that they were spot on.

In the end I swapped both caps (the 50V and the 400V). About the Viper22a, I added an extra socket in case I have to change it in the future, but I hope it won't be needed.

You can see the pictures with the final board components. I was using the multimeter to check that the voltage of the battery was within normal values. It is curious that this UPS doesn't overcharge the battery as some off-line ones that I own. The others charge the battery at 13.5V, but this one seems to only use 12.5V instead. The reason is probably the better design and components, but who knows...

Again, thanks to all for your help. It is really appreciated.

Regards
                        Attached Files

Comment

Guys, forget about what I said previously. I just got the dreaded F03 error again. I checked the battery, and it was around 10.29V, so I have the impression that for the latest 3 days, the battery has been discharging without realizing it....
                          this only means that even that I swapped all the broken components, there is still something wrong with the board. Now I have no idea how to track the error and what can I do to fix it.... T_T
                          Any suggestions will be really appreciated.

Comment

Yes proper standby charge voltage for a lead acid battery is around 13.7v and charge voltage is around 14.7v
                            Now that you replaced the Viper have you checked what voltages you have on the capacitors you replaced, so we are sure that it is working at all?

I notice in your first picture some soot around component U7.
                            I think it is a ST 324 op-amp that is probably used in the charge control circuit.
                            Hard to know without a circuit diagram of course.

I attached a picture where I highlighted a possibly bad solder joint for a through hole component.

I also would not exclude the 550Ω resistor or the optocpupler U3 since they are in the path of destruction too...
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Per Hansson; 05-14-2022, 08:59 AM.
                            "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Yes, it is clear that the 550 Om resistor has a burnout.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Yes proper standby charge voltage for a lead acid battery is around 13.7v and charge voltage is around 14.7v
                                Now that you replaced the Viper have you checked what voltages you have on the capacitors you replaced, so we are sure that it is working at all?
                                Can I use the multimeter directly over these caps while working? I mean, should I get the 50 or 400V on them? I never did this, so it is difficult for me.

I notice in your first picture some soot around component U7.
                                I think it is a ST 324 op-amp that is probably used in the charge control circuit.
                                Hard to know without a circuit diagram of course.
                                Yes, I also noticed the burnt marks, but I thought it was from the cap or the viper when it poofed. I checked continuity on the components on top of the U7, but I am not sure how to test the U7 itself.

I attached a picture where I highlighted a possibly bad solder joint for a through hole component.
                                I can desold and resold it just in case.

I also would not exclude the 550Ω resistor or the optocpupler U3 since they are in the path of destruction too...
                                I thought about replacing the 550Ω resistor, but I thought it was ok. I can replace it as I have some spares. Regarding the optocupler, how can I check it? I will try to find this part somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by lotas View Post
                                  Yes, it is clear that the 550 Om resistor has a burnout.
                                  I will try replacing it.

Comment

Can I use the multimeter directly over these caps while working? I mean, should I get the 50 or 400V on them? I never did this, so it is difficult for me.
                                    Yes exactly, start there and then we can look at the rest.

Comment

If the switching power supply works, then voltage should appear on this capacitor.
                                      Attached Files

Comment

Yes exactly, start there and then we can look at the rest.
                                        I took the measures for the three capacitors. These are the values I obtained:

C3 - 400V 10uF ---> 0.403V
                                        C14 - 50V 47uF ---> 0.184V
                                        C17 - 25V 470uF ---> 0.939V

I haven't replaced the 550Ω resistor yet, though. Not sure if this point can affect the taken measures.

I attached a couple more pictures in case they help.
                                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                        X