Sony XBR-65X900C - water in behind the lcd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony XBR-65X900C - water in behind the lcd

I have a Sony Bravia XBR-65X900C ultra thin android tv and I have some kind of fluid in behind the screen. I need to disassemble the panel housing to get at the diffuser panels to clean and dry them and to clean the back of the LCD and dry it as well. I will also clean and dry the inside of the LCD panel housing while I am in there and make sure there is no more fluid. When viewing the tv, you can see spots where there is fluid. I am not positive how it got fluid in the panel, I just know I need to disassemble it and clean and dry everything.

Is it possible to tear it apart and clean and dry everything inside where the panel is? Is the LCD glued in there or something? I'm not even sure how the LCD panel is supported in there and not falling out tbh. Any help sure would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

EDIT - I did try and google it but was unsuccessful. I did find a lot of videos covering how to remove and work on the LED's but unfortunately with this tv you do not need to disassemble the whole panel, which is what I need to do to clean the fluid that's in it and dry everything really good.

And again, any help would sure be appreciated.
    Last edited by james28909; 08-19-2020, 10:15 AM.

Re: Sony XBR-65X900C - water in behind the lcd

Well I ripped a tab bond half way off. It looks like its just tape adhesive or glued on there, can I just reheat it and apply pressure till it cools?

Does the lcd just slide out from the bottom? The way this thing was assembled is blowing my mind. Any help sure would be appreciated! Thanks
    Last edited by james28909; 08-19-2020, 03:32 PM.

Comment

the bonds are thermally set. DO NOT play any more with it... keep it where it is to maintain alignment on the connections. It might already be too late. :-( get some thermal padding or equivalent to help put pressure on it. IF you are lucky it might still working but the odds are against you.

Comment

shame you done that as it is possible to wipe each layer ..it can be tricky chasing and dust though because of static build up ..i did it not long ago .i used the static to chase the specs of dust to the edges .

Comment

After ripping the tab bond over half way off of the driver board, I stopped because I ripped it off when my hand slipped and hit it. I still do not know how to disassemble the actual panel.

Does anyone know how to remove the lcd? The diffuser panel seems to have a huge sheet of thick adhesive tape that wraps around something. I cannot see having to peel all of this tape back. At the bottom on the panel, with the screen laying face down, I can lift up the thick diffuser panel that illuminates the lcd and I can see the fluid in there but cannot get at it good. But the LEDs shine into the edge of this diffuser panel which illuminates the lcd, but I have yet figured out how to remove the actual LCD screen without damaging anything and the diffuser panel seems to be permanently fixated (which is why I think the LCD comes out and the diffuser panel and everything else is the stays).

Also, don't they sell tab cof tape/adhesive that you can use one of those soldering tips that is T shaped with a rubber edge? I watched a few videos and have pretty good soldering experience. It doesn't seem like it would be that hard, just clean heat up the cof's edge where the bond is until it delaminates and pull it away, clean everything down, apply new tab cof adhesive tape and apply heat with the T shaped soldering tip. I would probably unplug it and apply pressure until it cooled down a good bit to ensure continuity, i think when the adhesive cools off it pulls the connections together tighter. Other than that its soldering the thing back in place, but that will not be as trivial as slapping a thin strip of tab cof tape/adhesive and applying heat.

If anyone has any extra input on how to actually disassemble the panel, and I can get in there and clean it, I will buy the few things I need to repair the tab cof. I am pretty sure I can do it, it doesn't seem that hard to do. Just need the right things. But please if anyone has any onfo on how to disassemble the panel so I can clean and dry everything. The diffuser panel seems to just be a single sheet of plexiglass about 3/16 to 1/4" thick, but it is adhered with a huge sheet of adhesive. So I would think that there has to be a way to get the LCD itself out? Please, any info on this would help. If I cannot figure out how to disassemble the panel, then I am not going to bother with the tab cof ribbon. Any info would be awesome. Thanks again.
          Last edited by james28909; 08-19-2020, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Looks like there is not a USA based seller for this 2.0 mm acf tape/adhesive. Is there anyone in the USA that has some that can ship it to me? I don't need but about 12". Will gladly pay more than its worth. I'm not even going to attempt to put a wedge of some sort in there because I know that will fail quickly because of how the frame is designed. There is no good way to press against the cof and have it stay in place during reassembly. If it comes down to it I will try to solder it, but this acf tape looks to be pretty easy to do, especially with the T style head for a soldering iron.

But again, I need some help trying to figure out how to actually disassemble the panel. How is the LCD held in there? If I could figure this out then I can get my beloved tv back . Any help sure is appreciated

Comment

Sorry for spamming this thread, but I think I may have figured out how to disassemble the panel itself. It looks like that on the back of the set, there is an adhesive sheet that goes all the way to the edges of the top and each side to the edge of the "bezel". The bezel isn't very wide, maybe 1/4" or .25", so I would assume the maybe I can take some heat and an exacto knife and peel this adhesive layer back enough to free up the diffuser panel and remove it. I am thinking about videoing this as well because there is absolutely nothing on youtube or anywhere else that describes this process.

Anyway, hopefully later today I will proceed and get it disassembled and will atleast be able to post some pictures and maybe even a video. But if no video then atleast some pictures.

If I can get the panel disassembled then I will go ahead and order the stuff (T headed solder adapter and ACF to COF to PCB bonding) to repair the COF and restore the connection where I ripped it over half way off. The shipping for that stuff will probably take over a month to get to me, but I will post pictures and possibly videos of the process.

And again, if anyone has any insight to removing the LCD or the diffuser panel on this tv I sure would appreciate it. Thanks again

Comment

Working...
              X