Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LG 55UK6950PLB Lines down the left of the screen

Hi,
    purchased a LG 55 4k smart tv with black lines down the left side sides. When I took it apart one of the ribbons had blown.
    My question is, can this be repaired or is it part of the screen and is only good for the bin now.
    Attached Files

Re: LG 55UK6950PLB Lines down the left of the screen

can you clarify... is that along the side OR bottom of the panel?
    IF its on the side, then you might be able to save it by removing them on the side...BUT do some reading about tab removal AND also post a picture of the display. Usually side tab problems show up as horizontal lines across part of the screen.
    Last edited by budwich; 08-22-2020, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Hi,
      It is at the bottom right of the tv, I went as far as removing the casing to see if they were attached to the actual screen. couldn't quite make it out.

Comment

you can usually only see how they are attached by removing the front bezel to expose the edge of the panel. Also look at the bottom of the panel. there should be similar layout along the bottom...NOTE: be very careful especially along the bottom as those tabs if damaged can be "improved" by the method that I suggested.

Comment

This is the picture I have now, it flickers and also the there are lines across the tv now, this was due to me touching the buffer ribbon that was blown. It actually blew another track when I was touching it.
          Attached Files

Comment

do not play to much (more) with it at this point as you maybe causing issues along the bottom. You need to remove the plastic along the frame at the bottom. It will reveal edge boards of similar design as the sides. It will also reveal how the cabling from the main board to tcon / driver / panel boards are connected.

When you say it "blew another track" what are you referring to?
            Last edited by budwich; 08-22-2020, 10:18 AM.

Comment

one of the wires in the faulty ribbon. as shown in the picture in post one. I have removed the bottom panel to reveal the two buffer boards. Buffer boards have about five ribbons on each, which are glued to the boards.

Comment

Burn marks on a COF on one of the flex ribbons driving a vertical section. Not repairable. If these were on the sides, then the bad side could be removed which is where budwich is heading.
                Last edited by neilc6; 08-22-2020, 11:22 AM.

Comment

look at the bottom corner of the panel / bottom edge board to see if there is an issue there. Just a check.... along with any of the tabs going from the bottom to the panel. This is just a check. It is quite likely that the set can be saved by removing the tabs on the bad side... BUT this is a one way "street"... there is no going back if it doesn't resolve the problem and give you a good display. There is no guarantee that it will be but there are tons of posts about this method being successful (including from me). However, I am not sure that this particular set has ever had this done / posted.

The physical damage that the drivers on those side tabs is likely a "major problem" that can not be repaired back to "factory design" but the removal will likely allow the set to function normally.

Comment

Not repairable,
                    So only good for parts then?, Glad I only paid £30 for it.

Comment

Originally posted by neilc6 View Post
                      You didnt look carefully at his first pics budwich. He has burn marks on a COF on one of the flex ribbons driving a vertical section. Not repairable.
                      I did... he confirmed that the tab drivers that he posted are on the side and not the bottom... that is why it is strange that there is a large vertical blank shown.

Comment

Yes avoid any tv with vertical lines or bands since these are issues with the TAB bond connections or panel. Horizontal lines and double images may be repairable with a workaround.

I have never encountered a tv with panel boards on the sides but may be common in larger screen sizes over 70 inches.

Still confused if there are boards on the sides. From the pic, the burnt flex corresponds to a vertical section. "Bottom right" means bottom edge and from pic, second flex from the edge.
                        Last edited by neilc6; 08-22-2020, 11:33 AM.

Comment

What do you mean by the panel boards on the side? I may have confused you, The panel boards COF are on the bottom of the TV.

Comment

You confused budwich who then confused me. There are some models (usually 70 inches or more) which have panel boards on both sides of the tv. If one side fails, it can be removed and the other side can drive the screen by itself.

Not in your case.
                            Last edited by neilc6; 08-22-2020, 11:38 AM.

Comment

appologies to you both,

So parts bin and scrap then I guess?

Comment

You can sell the boards on ebay. Bundling cables will differentiate your listing and post a pic of the screen. I salvage the led strips as well but its a lot more work.

Comment

Thank you both for your help.

Comment

hi sir i have to know if you had repair ur tv if not can you contact me for ur mainboad i need this because i can not found in the web i found only one in the france but he verry expensive

Comment

Originally posted by vbiste View Post
                                      hi sir i have to know if you had repair ur tv if not can you contact me for ur mainboad i need this because i can not found in the web i found only one in the france but he verry expensive
                                      you can contact me by email to vbiste@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                                      X