Westinghouse LTV-32w6 no sound except on one source

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Westinghouse LTV-32w6 no sound except on one source

I tried searching the forums for this model, but all I found were issues related to either power or no image and/or no sound. My issue is that sound works, but only on one of the input sources. Switching to the other sources works fine insofar as getting an image is concerned. However, there is no audio for any of the other inputs. Does anyone have an idea of what the problem may be?

Re: Westinghouse LTV-32w6 no sound except on one source

You can try doing a factory reset.

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
      You can try doing a factory reset.
      I tried this and it had no effect.

Comment

you might get more help if you provide a few more details about which source inputs / sources that you have tried.

Comment

Originally posted by budwich View Post
          you might get more help if you provide a few more details about which source inputs / sources that you have tried.
          Will do. For inputs, the unit has composite/s-video (shared), two component, one antenna, one HDMI, and one VGA+headphone input. When I connect a device to the second component input set, I get both video and audio. However, when I connect the same device to the other component input, I only get video and no sound. The same applies to all the other input sources: video is there, but no sound. Specifically with the HDMI port, devices (like my XBox 360) detect the port as a DVI port (i.e. no sound) and not HDMI.

I tested the ports with the same XBox 360 using both HDMI and AV cables. On another TV, everything (video and sound) works -- so I know nothing is wrong with the console.

My suspicion is that whatever mechanism that is used to change the source of sound is broken. I.e. the sound works, but it won't switch to other input sources and is currently "stuck" on one of the component inputs.

Comment

ugliest set manual and functions that I have ever seen... :-)

what is your "autosource" setting. What is your system info for each source that you have tried?

Comment

Originally posted by budwich View Post
              ugliest set manual and functions that I have ever seen... :-)
              Haha no arguments here.

what is your "autosource" setting. What is your system info for each source that you have tried?
              With autosource turned on, the TV automatically changes to the appropriate source when it is on, and there is a signal from that source. However, still only sound from the second set of component ports. With it off, I have to manually select the input source. And even still, no sound except for the second set of component ports.

Testing with just the XBox 360:

HDMI:

Miscellaneous Info
              F/W Version: V3.02
              Micro Version: V021

Source/Channel Info
              Source Type: HDMI
              RF Band: -

Audio/Video Stream Info
              Video Resolution: 1360 x 768
              Video Scan Type: Progressive
              Audio Type: -

Component 2:
              (everything same as above, including missing audio type, except)
              Source Type: Component

Just want to add that I appreciate you taking the time to help trouble-shoot.

Comment

ok... thanks for the additional info. Not sure what to say outside of, do you have any electrical test equipment / meter to check things out. Note that the system info shows an HDMI type connection yet I think you mentioned a "DVI" detection at the xbox. What audio setting do you have at the xbox -> things like coding, channels, etc. I see in the manual that the hdmi is V1 which is pretty old so that might be an issue.

In terms of testing, you might keep to the component / audio area as these have "easier implementations" and then you can start checking things.

The other thing, I think you misunderstood me about the "system" info. You need to provide those for ALL inputs (including over the air) so you can check against things that are and aren't working. Related to that, does over the air work?

NOTE***** further look at your system info. Your resolution setting is "no good". That resolution is a computer setting not for this TV and as a result, it thinks you are using a computer which then is likely a "dvi" (ie. no audio).
                One other question: which curbside did you find this set on... :-)
                related to this... was the xbox ever connected via a dvi connector to a display at any time... and have you tried resetting it? NOTE there are some "odd" / old posts of this type of problem with xbox360. I would say your problem is with xbox for the hdmi... get another device to test with... beg / borrow / steal a cheap dvd player.
                Last edited by budwich; 09-09-2020, 07:20 AM.

Comment

I will delve deeper this weekend. That said there are so many cheap (free, even) TVs on Facebook Market that I may just junk it and get a used one for my kids to play on. I’m mostly here to see if there is anything to learn about fixing this thing.

Comment

well it is likely fixable. The one problem is likely a setting problem on the xbox and the other problem with no audio (on the component vid) is likely a problem with input board which needs to be electrically looked at... both learning experiences... :-)
                    Last edited by budwich; 09-09-2020, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X