• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Windows XP End of Life Approaching

what about activation system??

Comment

I hope the activation system stays for a while. I still have about 35 or so unused OEM licenses.

I think I will be using XP even long after this "EOF" debacle. It still does everything I need for school (typing documents, email, and doing research).

Originally posted by Heihachi_73
      I still use the Windows 2000 theme on XP, so a pre-XP style GUI is not going back to the old days for me
      Same here. I just love the simplicity of that GUI, especially with all of the stupid animations and [d]effects turned off. Examples:
      https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...8&d=1338868550
      https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...9&d=1338868550
      On Windows Vista and 7, it's just not quite the same, though.

Originally posted by dood View Post
      https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.n...44299206_o.jpg

I've been supporting these exact machines for the last 11 years. Originally as a student in HS, when I installed an entire building full of GX260's. After I graduated, I started working where I'm at now, and we bought a bunch of them as the school was cycling them out. I've continued to string them along with recaps for the last 6 years... Some of these have my handwriting on them from when I was still in school, because even then we were replacing motherboards by the dozen.
      Nice story. Those computers might have suffered from bad caps, but 11 years is still impressive IMO. Last Fall I was working/volunteering in IT dept. in a NGO, and they still had quite a few of those Optiplex 260/270/280 machines (mostly the non-SFF ones) chugging and churning. I think they phased out most of them this year, though.
      I'm still amazed that those Pentium 4 CPUs have held up all those years.

Comment

Microsoft does not say a word about the activation engine, therefore I consider that it will stay unaffected.

But they kill also and the office 2003, I have the small business office 2003, and I got it few years back mostly for compatibility purposes.
        But who cares MS never supported it correctly.

After April 8, 2014, there will be no new security updates, non-security hotfixes, free or paid assisted support options or online technical content updates.

Running Windows XP SP3 and Office 2003 in your environment after their end of support date may expose your company to potential risks, such as:

Security & Compliance Risks: Unsupported and unpatched environments are vulnerable to security risks. This may result in an officially recognized control failure by an internal or external audit body, leading to suspension of certifications, and/or public notification of the organization's inability to maintain its systems and customer information.
        Lack of Independent Software Vendor (ISV) & Hardware Manufacturers support: A recent industry report from Gartner Research suggests "many independent software vendors (ISVs) are unlikely to support new versions of applications on Windows XP in 2011; in 2012, it will become common." And it may stifle access to hardware innovation: Gartner Research further notes that in 2012, most PC hardware manufacturers will stop supporting Windows XP on the majority of their new PC models.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiriakos GR View Post
          Microsoft does not say a word about the activation engine, therefore I consider that it will stay unaffected.
          an inquiry was sent to Microsoft by where I work and Microsoft's response was that the activation, registration, and verification systems (there are multiple of them!?!) will be affected and keys will no longer be verified come EOL.
          Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Expect M$ to torpedo Windows XP in full salvoes, they're eager to eclipse it. Also expect them to progressively sabotage Windows Se7en.

They're hell-bent on the path of destroying the real Windows and unifying to the lowest common denominator (tiled walled garden for retards).

There's a chance the next CEO kicks a lot of asses and corrects course, but I'd prepare for the worse ...

Comment

Originally posted by goontron View Post
              an inquiry was sent to Microsoft by where I work and Microsoft's response was that the activation, registration, and verification systems (there are multiple of them!?!) will be affected and keys will no longer be verified come EOL.
              Please repeat this inquiry, if activation is effected only by the automated way?
              Always was available and the manual way of activation by contacting them by phone...

Comment

Some one talks here for 100$ manual activation after the EOL date.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...6-34c541f88fa4

I bet that soon the most popular keystrokes on Google will be the text: XP license backup / restore software.

Comment

Originally posted by goontron View Post
                  So does that mean they will accept pretty much any activation key (as long as the disc accepts it first, of course), or will they simply not let you install?

If the latter, then I guess I better dust off that volume license XP SP2 CD .

Comment

Since day one there was numerous ways to crack this down.
                    Even me I have around a copy of a volume license on CD ( non legit) but the point is that MS does not kill just XP, they just prove to the world that even by been legit, this Windows software was never really yours.
                    Last edited by Kiriakos GR; 11-27-2013, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiriakos GR View Post
                      Please repeat this inquiry, if activation is effected only by the automated way?
                      Always was available and the manual way of activation by contacting them by phone...
                      sorry let me correct my self.
                      multi volume licenses wont activate anymore. however we never asked about OEM.
                      Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

who cares?
                        probably more cracked copies out there than legit.activation cracks worked fine all these years and will continue to work.

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu View Post
                          who cares?
                          All the planet cares because not legit copies in a legit-able business are an issue that in case of inspection by the revenue office, your ass will be toasted.

Even the volume license is illegal in a solo PC when is not used in a small company as intended.

Comment

then clone the disk now before it breaks on you.

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu View Post
                              then clone the disk now before it breaks on you.
                              Ghost 14 & Raid-0 is my friends for the past 10 years.

But for what I am worry about is for the big picture, if some ones does IT work, he would have to face the end customer and to explain and apologize to him for this significant inconvenience.
                              While Microsoft workers feels safe by hiding behind the anonymity under their faceless logo ( umbrella ), Microsoft partners and IT folks they will be in the first line of fire.

Comment

Heh, seems the masses refuse to jump on the Tiles Wonder bandwagon:

Windows XP remains nearly flat; Windows 8/8.1 up slightly in November's OS data

Comment

Yes the masses that is the customers base that Microsoft needed 10 years to build it does refuse to get manipulated by those smart ass product developers in Microsoft.

Comment

Originally posted by TELVM View Post
                                    Expect M$ to torpedo Windows XP in full salvoes ... Also expect them to progressively sabotage Windows Se7en ...
                                    Microsoft No Longer Selling Windows 7 to Retailers

Comment

Good.....this will open the doors for others to creep in and take over. I'm sure Apple is thrilled about this, as is google (with Android), and of course the many varieties of linux. MS shooting themselves in the foot once again, what a shocker. You'll still be able to buy win7, it's just the OEM's that won't preload it on PC's anymore. Win8 is such a horrendous pile of infernal shit, no wonder MS is now the laughing stock.

FWIW, I'll stay on XP well beyond end of life.
                                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                                      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                                      http://folding.stanford.edu/
                                      Team : 49813
                                      Join in!!
                                      Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                                        FWIW, I'll stay on XP well beyond end of life.
                                        Yep.

All the "followers" of the irrelevant "tech sites" have been in this irrational panic for the last few months.

"Mommy! My com-pew-tuh's gonna stop werking! Big micro$oft, come in an' save meeee!"

Exactly the response I'd expect... never trying to fix, or learn, anything for themselves. Endlessly falling for lie after lie. Only "big government"- er "big micro$oft" can save 'em.

Let 'em go buy a new tile-puter after date: xyz!
                                        They'll only fall and be ignored, just as they are now.
                                        "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
                                        Originally posted by shango066
                                        All style and no substance.
                                        Originally posted by smashstuff30
                                        guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
                                        guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

FWIW, I absolutely hate just how often M$ release new OSes now. 7 barely had the chance to season before releasing that disaster known as Windows 8.
                                          I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Working...
                                          X