Gigabyte Aorus 1080ti - card not initialising

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gigabyte Aorus 1080ti - card not initialising

Yikes, its had an overvoltage on the 5v rail it would seem. I know the FDMF6820a drmos cannot handle more than 6v, similar thing happened to me and when the 3rd drmos popped it took the gpu memory controller with it It'd be a shame to give up now

Comment

Ordered more up9511's from the "chinese site"

Comment

Looking at pinout and the results of the voltage injection / alcohol test, the heat is between 5VCC and the ISEN (current sensing pins from DRMOS chips) as per the attached diagram. Could be current flowing out of the ISEN pins to the DRMOS causing the heat on those 2.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by benwaterson View Post
          Ordered more up9511's from the "chinese site"
          Good man, yeah dunno about the drmos I take it they are not shorted source to drain? You can check the gate high and gate low pins for shorts.

Comment

Not checked yet, will have a look and report back (there is no 12v short to gnd through the core though)
            Last edited by benwaterson; 03-10-2022, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Do you mean between the marked pins on the attached? (GL and GH)
              Attached Files

Comment

Yeah gh and gl, I would expect a 5v overvoltage event to have blown up a running drmos completely so if it seems ok then probably it is.

I think I would remove the up9511 then check the resistances on the suspect drmos pins and compare to a non-suspect one
                Last edited by Bozog; 03-10-2022, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Waiting for my Quick 861DW to arrive as my cheapo hot air station is not up to the job on this card.

Comment

preheat the card, its the best when working with graphic cards

Comment

So the aliexpress seller of the up9511 says no stock so not shipped

Have ordered 3 from seller on ebay (from hong kong) https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/202672573393

Comment

Originally posted by foshland View Post
                        preheat the card, its the best when working with graphic cards
                        Thanks, yes i intend to.

Comment

Whilst waiting for supplies and thought I would do some more checking.

Isolated the up9511 from 5v by removing the 2.2ohm resistor attached to pin 12.

Did another voltage injection test and have found the failed DRMOS now. As all the current on 5v was going through that it has failed with a puff of smoke and a hole in the top (this was at 2.5v, not the full 5v). None of the remaining 10 seem to have failed.

Had already removed a failed one at the very start of this, so am down to 10 from 12 chips.

Time to order more chips......
                          Attached Files

Comment

Ok, progress update.

Received the Quick 861DW this morning. Preheated the card to 100c with a temp sensor below. Cranked it up to 460c / 110 air and low and behold the DRMOS was removed in 30 seconds!

Removed the up9511 in even less time.

Tested for 5v rail short, and voila - short gone (100k resistance).

Just need new chips now
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by benwaterson; 03-14-2022, 05:23 AM.

Comment

Please keep posting your adventures! Very useful.

Comment

Originally posted by benwaterson View Post
                                It's usb powered (using front usb connector on pc). Shows freq of 316khz. Tested the crystal on the card with this set up and it reported a pure 27mhz sine wave (no interference).
                                What model is it? I am looking for a bare minimum to repay my gpu.

Comment

It's a yeapook ads1014d

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B099S4QP3T

Rebranded FNIRSI-1014D

Comment

So I was checking the specs for the DRMOS chips and the ones on the card are superceded by a new part number (AOZ5166QI-01), which is available in the UK (https://www.enrgtech.co.uk/product/p...7/AOZ5166QI-01).

Looking at the datasheets they are pin compatible with the same specs, internally they look a little different. Would using the newer part cause issues? If so the new design might help failure rate?

Website (note the recommended replacement) http://www.aosmd.com/products/power-...s/AOZ5036QI-01

Old datasheet https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...8c1c33edaa.pdf
                                    New datasheet https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...e7e3415b8c.pdf
                                    Last edited by benwaterson; 03-15-2022, 05:55 AM.

Comment

I have emailed the manufacturer to ask

Comment

So I had a reply from AOSMD who make the DRMOS chips (TLDR: it will work) :

"Dear Ben,

yes, the AOZ5166QI-01 should work as 1:1 drop in replacement fort he AOZ5036QI-01 in the very most cases.

Main differences are larger hysteresis in the PWM interface which requires slightly more accurate logic levels from the controller. This should be given in a well-designed circuit without problem.

Second the AOZ5166QI-01 provides faster switching which results in higher efficiency but on the flip side may cause larger EMI.

So if your question is just for repair purpose of a dead graphics card or laptop GPU I would say yes, give it a try, in 99% of all cases it should work. If it is for series production of your own product I would suggest to retest EMI.

Best regards
                                        Bernd

Bernd Riemann | Senior Field Application Engineer Europe | Alpha and Omega Semiconductor"

Comment

Received the DRMOS chips and the up9511 chips.

Soldered in the up9511 (mp1475 was already soldered).

Now have 5V and 3.3v on the PGOOD pin - yay!

Don't have 1.8V or PEX - boo!

Need to check EN pin and any components inbetween on the AOZ1268QI-1 1.8v buck converter, otherwise that might be toast too.

Comment

Working...
                                          X