Rant: Glossy screens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rant: Glossy screens

I always thought glossy screens sucked. I got used to them after some years with them, but still think one can do better. Much better. And indeed, some manufacturers have once again started putting matte screens in their laptops since a couple years ago (HP 625/635 come to mind, and i'm sure there are many others). I'm glad that this is happening.

Now, you might say it does not bother you, that you're fine with a glossy screen. I thought that too, until i put a modern laptop with a glossy screen next to a 2003 thin-and-light laptop with a high brightness matte screen. The matte just blows it away in all aspects, even though it's 10 years old. No competition. Even with the glossy at full brightness and the matte at half, the matte still kills it. I now see the software on the screen when i'm working in the daytime, not the reflection of myself and my room!
    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
    A working TV? How boring!

Re: Rant: Glossy screens

I couldn't agree with you more, I loathe glossy screens. I've been known to go out of my way to get matte screens, and a lot of the time, a glossy screen will be a deal breaker for me when deciding whether to purchase a monitor or not. I just think the matte displays look so much better.

Come to think of it, I hate glossy components in general, sure the glossy black casing looks nice if you never touch it, but one finger print and the look is ruined. I can't wait until they start making laptops with matte finishes again, it can't happen soon enough for me.

Comment

I also hate glossy screens. That is part of the reason I like Lenovo Thinkpads and Dell Latitudes. They don't use any glossy surfaces.
      I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

I must be the only one who likes glossy screens then. :-/
        Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

They're good for multimedia use with dim or no lighting as they have better contrast. However, as soon as any significant light enters the picture (pun not intended), the contrast advantage is nullified.
          Originally posted by PeteS in CA
          Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
          A working TV? How boring!

Comment

I agree with you about glossy screens here at work they are especially bad with all of the fluorescent lights the glare is terrible. At home it isn't so bad because it is much darker the glare isn't as noticeable.

Comment

Originally posted by stevo1210 View Post
              I must be the only one who likes glossy screens then. :-/
              no i compared screens, i like glossy
              Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

They're even worse on tablets as fingerprints show up as well as reflections
                I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

the main reason I hate glossy screens is when the background is black or dark, I have to look at the reflection of my ugly face... HAH
                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                  Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                  http://folding.stanford.edu/
                  Team : 49813
                  Join in!!
                  Team Stats

Comment

Yeah, I don't like glossy screens either. But then again, all of my CRTs are more or less quite glossy, so I am used to them. I mostly use my CRTs at night, though, so it's not that big of a deal. Actually, they looks quite good at night and I prefer to use them when I can. Matte LCDs - good for daytime office work (and not anything graphics-related), but not so much for multimedia, games, and Photoshop IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                      Matte LCDs - good for daytime office work (and not anything graphics-related), but not so much for multimedia, games, and Photoshop IMO.
                      Why are they so bad for that stuff?

The only glossy screen I have is on my laptop. The picture quality is so poor that I use an external monitor, but that isn't caused by the screen being glossy instead of matte.

Comment

Originally posted by lti View Post
                        Why are they so bad for that stuff?
                        The matte finish reduces some of the light going out of the monitor. Same with any anti-reflective coatings.

Comment

Thought glossy screens are supposed to display better colours thats why they became popular ?

Comment

Working...
                          X