Increasing capacitance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Increasing capacitance?

I am recapping a power supply and I've hit a snag, my supply has a 1650uF 16V capacitor. I can't find a suitable capacitor of those exact specs. So, since I know it is a bad idea to decrease capacitance, my question is: how much higher than the original capacitance should I go? Plus, I've noticed that the 12V rail is a bit low, 10.6V, would increasing the capacitance increase the output voltage?

Thanks,
    Justin

Re: Increasing capacitance?

I'm guessing that 1650uF 16V cap is a Fuhjyyu cap? It's not so much the capacitance that is important, but the amount of ripple current it can do, and the ESR. That cap may be GP, so any good low ESR cap will far exceed the ripple current of the old one. Is the capacitor failed? That could cause funky voltages.

Comment

It is a Jameco, but there were a couple of Fuhjyyu caps in this supply. No, I don't think the capacitor has failed, this supply isn't that important to me, so I am really just tinkering with it at this point. I believe I have a few 2200uF 16V Panasonic FC's in my collection, do you think I could get away with using one of them?

Comment

Originally posted by jpyerry View Post
        It is a Jameco, but there were a couple of Fuhjyyu caps in this supply. No, I don't think the capacitor has failed, this supply isn't that important to me, so I am really just tinkering with it at this point. I believe I have a few 2200uF 16V Panasonic FC's in my collection, do you think I could get away with using one of them?
        Yeah that would be a good replacement if it fits, aren't those 12.5mm? You should post some pictures of the supply

Comment

Use a 1500uF or a 1800uF 16v capacitor rated for 16v.

The voltage may be low at 10.6v because there is no load on 5v. If you put some device on 5v, the voltage on the 12v will probably go up a bit, closer to 12v.

Comment

Originally posted by mariushm View Post
            Use a 1500uF or a 1800uF 16v capacitor rated for 16v.

The voltage may be low at 10.6v because there is no load on 5v. If you put some device on 5v, the voltage on the 12v will probably go up a bit, closer to 12v.
            I know that I have 1500uF 16V Panasonic FC's on hand, I don't even have to go looking through my collection to find them. I might have to try putting one in.

And, yes, the 2200uF 16V FC's are 12.5mm, but I know I can make them fit, a little heat shrink goes a long way

As for pictures, I am currently in the middle of moving and my digital camera is buried in one of my boxes, so any pictures will have to wait at least a week and a half.

Justin

Comment

As far as the esr is the same, you could use 2200uF or even 3300uF caps.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys, but this project is going to backburnered until after my move is complete. I will update in a couple of weeks.

Comment

I can provide you with Samxon RS, 3300 uF/16 V in D10 if you need.
                  Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                  Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

What series are the Jameco caps, if you remember?

Comment

I was wondering, Jameco or Jamicon ?

I never thought Jameco, a US distributor, made capacitors... but perhaps they did start rebadging?

Comment

Working...
                      X