Clear All

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

Originally posted by Dan81 View Post
    Won a retro lot comprised of:

- ASUS ISA-486SV2 w/ Intel 486-DX2
    - PC Chips M577 (VIA MVP3) w/ Cyrix M II
    - S3 Trio 3D 2X 4MB "C368 Ver 1.0"
    - miro Video 22SD-PCI / S3 Trio 64v+ 2MB
    - Winfast A6200TD 128MB 128bit AGP (isn't this one of the few 6200s that can unlock into a 6600?)

All untested, so boy this is gonna be awesome retro fun for me, especially the 486 mobo.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

This week has been great for walk-ins giving things away. Yesterday was a doctor that was cleaning out his office.....

There's tons of stuff, but here's some of the picks of the litter...

2x Acer Variton L410 Ultra-smalls. Neither would POST. Research revealed a dead CMOS battery causes this.....and sure enough. Replaced the CMOS batteries in both, and bam! Away they went. Rumor has it these will run Phenom 9350E's......I'm tempted to buy one to try....with a few upgrades, these would be fabulous web browsing, emailing, facebarfing, letter typers!!

Acer i3 system, works.

MPC ClientPro 414 AIO. HDD bad, slow 2.8GHz CPU and 1gb RAM.....but I fixed that....I'll get back to that in a minute.

Some laptops & tablet, untested so far.

The usual monitors that breed at night...there was also a pile of keyboards....I tossed those in the dumpster immediately.

Now for some 'doctor stuff'...an ultrasound machine & centrifuge!! ...and a brother laser printer...and more fugging monitors...

Now back to the MPC ClientPro 414..... Thanks to Momaka and his blunder where he accidentally left this CPU in a SBC he sent me.....and I never thought I'd use this....but here we are!!! THis is an Intel 915 chipset, 800FSB only and no multicore support, atleast with this firmware.....I tried several pentium-d's & 800FSB C2D's, no joy.

I also tossed 4gb RAM in it.....3.3gb usable. The HDD was bad (seagate no less) and the CMOS battery is dead....and it seems to be a real fiasco to replace the batt (system has to be completely disassembled)...

Win7 actually runs pretty good on this!!

There was also a box full of random old software, a 65" Samsung TV with a broken screen, and some other whatnots....
      Attached Files
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

Won a retro lot comprised of:
        All untested, so boy this is gonna be awesome retro fun for me, especially the 486 mobo.

- Winfast A6200TD 128MB 128bit AGP (isn't this one of the few 6200s that can unlock into a 6600?)
        If it's 128-bit memory bus, it probably is. Check the GPU chip though - either through physical inspection or GPU-Z. If it's a NV43, it should be 4 pixel, 3 vertex pipe GPU, with 4 extra pixel pipes being unlockable in software through RivaTuner (or BIOS editing?) Whichever the case, DON'T try directly flashing a 6600 GT BIOS on there, as most 6600 GT cards come with faster RAM and therefore will likely have the incorrect frequency and timings for the RAM. A 6600 LE BIOS might work... but even many of these had the 4 pixel pipes masked/locked. Therefore, I suggest to edit the original BIOS if you do want to flash the card to be permanently unlocked.

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
        This week has been great for walk-ins giving things away.
        Gotta love it! - People coming to you to give you free stuff (well, computers)

2x Acer Variton L410 Ultra-smalls. Neither would POST. Research revealed a dead CMOS battery causes this.....and sure enough. Replaced the CMOS batteries in both, and bam! Away they went. Rumor has it these will run Phenom 9350E's......I'm tempted to buy one to try....with a few upgrades, these would be fabulous web browsing, emailing, facebarfing, letter typers!!

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...1&d=1619147730
        Those looks pretty slick, actually. Almost like a slightly thicker notebook.

If they'll run Phenom 9350E, they'll probably also run the slightly slower Phenom 9150e. Not that there'd be a point in downgrading, but the 9150e might be easier/cheaper to find. I have one running in a Gigabyte mobo. It's fine for general browsing, but performs a bit underwhelming on YT (will do 720p OK for the most part, but 1080p not so much.)

And wow, just dead CMOS batteries bringing them down? That's crazy. Who though of that terrible design. Also, if the machines were actually connected to the grid / AC, then those CMOS batteries shouldn't be dying really, as they should only be used when power is not available to keep CMOS and realtime clock. Perhaps they are placed in a bad spot where they are getting overheated and die? Or just crappy batteries, maybe?

Either way, these machines aren't old enough to have chewed through their CMOS batteries. On a related note, the CMOS/RTC battery in my Canon PowerShot A20 P&S camera finally gave out the ghosts last month - that's almost 20 years of life. My sis got this camera back in 2001 or 2002... and used it until about 2004/5. So until then, most of the time the camera did have batteries in it and the CMOS battery wasn't used. But after that, I started using it, and only with batteries occasionally. Since at least around 2010 or a little after, I've been using it only with an AC adapter, and only when taking pictures, meaning the little CMOS battery in it has kept RTC/CMOS settings for at least 10 years.

MPC ClientPro 414 AIO. HDD bad, slow 2.8GHz CPU and 1gb RAM.....but I fixed that....I'll get back to that in a minute.

Now back to the MPC ClientPro 414..... Thanks to Momaka and his blunder where he accidentally left this CPU in a SBC he sent me.....and I never thought I'd use this....but here we are!!! THis is an Intel 915 chipset, 800FSB only and no multicore support, atleast with this firmware.....I tried several pentium-d's & 800FSB C2D's, no joy.

See?! I told you you'd find use for it way before I do, and I was right.
        It was just meant to be.

I also tossed 4gb RAM in it.....3.3gb usable. The HDD was bad (seagate no less) and the CMOS battery is dead....and it seems to be a real fiasco to replace the batt (system has to be completely disassembled)...

Win7 actually runs pretty good on this!!

Yup, those 65 nm Cedar Mill P4's aren't all that bad.
        It won't run great on YT, but can still be used for light browsing / searching online (eBaying, Wikipedia, BCN and etc.) along with typewriter duty. So it's not a completely useless machine.

Some laptops & tablet, untested so far.

LOL. That HP on top looks THICC. Let's hope it's not one of those with a desktop P4 chip. I have a VAIO like that here, and it's a miracle the whole thing can work without overheating. Its "power brick" really is a brick.

The usual monitors that breed at night...there was also a pile of keyboards....I tossed those in the dumpster immediately.

LCD monitors are like plastic bags. Back in the day when they were new, everyone was so amazed by them. And now, it's hard to give them away for free.

As for the keyboards... I'm guessing most of those were USB/corded/non-beige? That said, do keep an eye on what you get. Some of the early 2000's HP/Compaq keyboards in black/gray style (doesn't matter if USB or PS/2) were pretty nice. I have one like that here (later model USB) and really like that it feels like a click beige KB in terms of key travel and feel, yet is very quiet. Best of all, it has proper n-key roll-over. A lot of cheaper keyboards don't and will usually stop responding with more than 2 simultaneously pressed keys (save for Ctrl-Alt-Del or some other special keys) - makes them terrible for any kind of gaming.

Now for some 'doctor stuff'...an ultrasound machine & centrifuge!!

That's pretty cool.
        Don't tell me you will re-purpose/incorporate those too into the [former] Dolby build... or should we call it, Pat.
        Last edited by momaka; 04-23-2021, 01:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
          If they'll run Phenom 9350E, they'll probably also run the slightly slower Phenom 9150e. Not that there'd be a point in downgrading, but the 9150e might be easier/cheaper to find. I have one running in a Gigabyte mobo. It's fine for general browsing, but performs a bit underwhelming on YT (will do 720p OK for the most part, but 1080p not so much.)
          I noticed that the 9350E's aren't the easiest to find...the 9150E's are, and cheap. FWIW, I had a 5600+ laying around and tried it, no problem. That got it to 2.9GHz. As a matter of fact, this post is from it.
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

And wow, just dead CMOS batteries bringing them down? That's crazy. Who though of that terrible design. Also, if the machines were actually connected to the grid / AC, then those CMOS batteries shouldn't be dying really, as they should only be used when power is not available to keep CMOS and realtime clock. Perhaps they are placed in a bad spot where they are getting overheated and die? Or just crappy batteries, maybe?

Either way, these machines aren't old enough to have chewed through their CMOS batteries. On a related note, the CMOS/RTC battery in my Canon PowerShot A20 P&S camera finally gave out the ghosts last month - that's almost 20 years of life. My sis got this camera back in 2001 or 2002... and used it until about 2004/5. So until then, most of the time the camera did have batteries in it and the CMOS battery wasn't used. But after that, I started using it, and only with batteries occasionally. Since at least around 2010 or a little after, I've been using it only with an AC adapter, and only when taking pictures, meaning the little CMOS battery in it has kept RTC/CMOS settings for at least 10 years.
            I found some AMD boards with the same ATI chipset that wouldn't POST. I didn't get far enough into troubleshooting them, but I wonder if the dead CMOS battery preventing it from booting (and fast battery drain) is something that happens with that chipset. It's a shame because those were development boards that probably got scrapped.

I had to change the battery in my old Compaq last year, and it looked like the original battery from 1999 (the same brand they came from the factory with, at least).
            Last edited by lti; 04-23-2021, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Another walk-in drop off.

Ricoh Color laser printer, doubt it works.

Toshiba C2D laptop; untested as of yet

Sony Vaio laptop; i5 w/8gb RAM with charger. Batt is even good!

Had a BIOS password...easy to crack though.
              Attached Files
              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
              Team Stats

Comment

If it's 128-bit memory bus, it probably is. Check the GPU chip though - either through physical inspection or GPU-Z. If it's a NV43, it should be 4 pixel, 3 vertex pipe GPU, with 4 extra pixel pipes being unlockable in software through RivaTuner (or BIOS editing?) Whichever the case, DON'T try directly flashing a 6600 GT BIOS on there, as most 6600 GT cards come with faster RAM and therefore will likely have the incorrect frequency and timings for the RAM. A 6600 LE BIOS might work... but even many of these had the 4 pixel pipes masked/locked. Therefore, I suggest to edit the original BIOS if you do want to flash the card to be permanently unlocked.
                Welp, quite a disappointing result:

-6200 is not recognized by any board
                -PCChips M577 is unfortunately dead as a doornail, as well as its Cyrix MII - I have literally tried anything I could think of, that would bring it to life, to no avail. (recapping, cleaning with 99% IPA, using all CPU and GPU combinations I could think of (even as far as using an ISA ATI VGA Charger, dang it!) as well as trying about any stick of RAM that was 128MB max and PC100 (and some early 133 sticks)

- same goes for the ASUS ISA-486SV2, although I have no idea about the CPU. There was a cracked 74F245 near the cache chips, which when I desoldered, came off with half of the soldering pads as well. Might try and solder a replacement 74F245 out of some dead Chicony board (also VLB) but I'm not expecting big results considering what damage is in there.

-both S3s fortunately work - the 3D/2x had two slightly bent pins which caused it to show the DOS underscore all over the screen, easily fixed, and the Miro 22SD was literally plug and play.
                Main rig:
                Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
                16GB DDR3-1600
                Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
                120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
                Delux MG760 case

Comment

Had a BIOS password...easy to crack though.
                  Vaio's are nice... but drivers can be a real PITA.
                  sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                    Vaio's are nice... but drivers can be a real PITA.
                    It really wasn't too bad. I installed 10 Pro on it, it had the drivers for everything except the IME and the card reader....and I use the OEM's for those....screw dealing with Sony! It desperately needs a SSD though.... Win10 on spinners in laptops are miserable!
                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                    Team Stats

Comment

It really wasn't too bad. I installed 10 Pro on it, it had the drivers for everything except the IME and the card reader....and I use the OEM's for those....screw dealing with Sony! It desperately needs a SSD though.... Win10 on spinners in laptops are miserable!
                      Lucky... my two 2006 vintage ones were a nightmare. Especially the one with primitive hybrid graphics. Even the ricoh webcam was a no-go.
                      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Win10 on spinners in laptops are miserable!
                        QFT, it's like Windows 95 on a 386 SX 16 Mhz with 4 MB of RAM, IIRC.
                        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Welp, quite a disappointing result:

-6200 is not recognized by any board
                          Are all the voltages (GPU V_core, RAM V_dd, and GPU V_tt) all present as they should be? 5V going to the RAMDACs? If yes, check board for any chipped SMDs that might be related to detection of the card. If not, perhaps the GPU went bad? Kind of surprising, though, as these usually develop artifacts rather than completely go out. If everything checks out in terms of voltages and components, perhaps give it a reflow. Keep in mind that the caps could be bad too. IIRC, Leadtek often used cheap brands or UCC KZG. No telling of their condition at this age just by visual inspection.
                          OK I did a bit of research online / memory refreshing, and apparently only the NV43 A2 core can unlock. NV43 A4 core may not unlock. And NV44, which is what appears to be on your card (still could be a 128-bit bus GPU), there are no unlockable pipes, because the GPU doesn't actually have them.

-PCChips M577 is unfortunately dead as a doornail
                          as well as trying about any stick of RAM that was 128MB max and PC100 (and some early 133 sticks)
                          How about without RAM? Does it beep? Got a POST card to check if it's going through POST codes? (That is, with and without RAM.)

And also, this is one of those instances where it's always handy to have lower capacity modules like 64 MB and 32 MB. After all, it could be that the board just doesn't support 128 MB sticks.

I noticed that the 9350E's aren't the easiest to find...the 9150E's are, and cheap. FWIW, I had a 5600+ laying around and tried it, no problem. That got it to 2.9GHz. As a matter of fact, this post is from it.
                          5600+ is pretty decent too - almost the same as a 6000+ minus 100 MHz, and the X2 6000+ is said to perform somewhat on part with a C2D E6600/6700.

They undervolt pretty well too. I run my X2 6000+ (90 nm / Windsor 95W TDP) @ 2.4 GHz and 1.2V, IIRC (or thereabouts.) The 9150e is great for multitasking and overall better online (at least with Quantum FF engine.) But in single or dual-threaded applications, that X2 5600+ will whoop its butt pretty badly.

Originally posted by lti View Post
                          I had to change the battery in my old Compaq last year, and it looked like the original battery from 1999 (the same brand they came from the factory with, at least).
                          That's pretty good life!
                          Unfortunately my Dell Latitude C600 and all of my old CPi-X series came with rechargeable 7.2V Ni-MH battery packs comprised of several small coin cells (don't remember the rating, but I think somewhere around 50-100 mAH?) ** EDIT ** These are VARTA 40 mAH 7.2V 6-cell packs. Pretty much all of them are dead at this point and wont take a charge... though some still do if trickle-charged long enough. The one in my C600 holds settings for about 2-3 hours max now if I unplug the laptop from the wall. A few years ago, it would still hold for about a day. These are such a PITA to replace, though. I really wish Dell went with regular lithium coin cells like everyone else. Makes me wonder what kind of RTC circuit they are running to need that much power and if I can just bodge it with a few caps (or super caps?)

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...1&d=1619204673
                          Nice!

I like the full keyboard too (on the Vaio.)

The Toshiba C2D also sounds interesting, though. A family friend of ours gave me their old one a few years back (17" screen with nice speakers and full keyboard too.) Just needed a new HDD as the Toshiba HDD in there had a ton of bad blocks - several GB clusters worth of them. . I refurbed the laptop with a new HDD and then gave to my sister / her husband to use. This was like 5 or 6 years ago. And they still use it and think it's a great laptop... and frankly, I also think it's nice. Has never given them any problems (aside from some software decluttering given by me once in a while, of course. )
                          Last edited by momaka; 04-23-2021, 09:56 PM.

Comment

How about without RAM? Does it beep? Got a POST card to check if it's going through POST codes? (That is, with and without RAM.)

And also, this is one of those instances where it's always handy to have lower capacity modules like 64 MB and 32 MB. After all, it could be that the board just doesn't support 128 MB sticks.
                            No beeps at all. I also tried the lowest stick I have which is 16MB EDO SDRAM (since it's 168pin) and no dice. It's a VIA MVP3 and these do support 128MB sticks (I have a Lucky Tech P5MVP3 running two of them) so that isn't the issue.

It literally won't POST or beep at all. I've also set all jumpers accordingly for each CPU to no avail. CPUs warm up, but that's it.
                            Main rig:
                            Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                            Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                            16GB DDR3-1600
                            Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                            Delux MG760 case

Comment

Carboot started up again after lockdowns!

Scored a boat load of high end PC hardware all customer returns from a guy who does recycling

RTX 2080 Aorus 8GB
                              RTX 2060
                              GTX 1080Ti
                              a few older cards
                              Asus AX1100 AX router complete boxed
                              Load of boxed X570 motherboard (hoping just bios issues)
                              CPUs, nothing special AMD A series APUs bent pins
                              A few power supplies
                              a couple of gaming laptops
                              8TB Ironwolf drive (warranty till 2024 so got a rma going striaghtaway )
                              EK distro block
                              Loads of AIO coolers

Guess how much?

£150 for the lot and thats just what i can remember off the top of my head.

The seller had loads, i think i got the best stuff and about 3 boxes full. Another guy got about 6 boxes, and quantity was more but a lot of his stuff was unboxed. For example he got a large box of modern looking motherboards but were all naked stacked (probably about 20-30 boards) still a bargain for what seller was charging.

Comment

Originally posted by mikay786 View Post
                                Carboot started up again after lockdowns!

Scored a boat load of high end PC hardware all customer returns from a guy who does recycling

RTX 2080 Aorus 8GB
                                RTX 2060
                                GTX 1080Ti
                                a few older cards
                                Asus AX1100 AX router complete boxed
                                Load of boxed X570 motherboard (hoping just bios issues)
                                CPUs, nothing special AMD A series APUs bent pins
                                A few power supplies
                                a couple of gaming laptops
                                8TB Ironwolf drive (warranty till 2024 so got a rma going striaghtaway )
                                EK distro block
                                Loads of AIO coolers

Guess how much?

£150 for the lot and thats just what i can remember off the top of my head.

The seller had loads, i think i got the best stuff and about 3 boxes full. Another guy got about 6 boxes, and quantity was more but a lot of his stuff was unboxed. For example he got a large box of modern looking motherboards but were all naked stacked (probably about 20-30 boards) still a bargain for what seller was charging.

Looks like no one around here will do that! Any RTX or even a GTX I could find, except a very-long-in-the-tooth one, are being scalped!
                                ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post

Looks like no one around here will do that! Any RTX or even a GTX I could find, except a very-long-in-the-tooth one, are being scalped!
                                  These are all faulty / likely faulty as customer returns.

The things I did well with last time I got stuff off this seller were the routers as 9/10 were firmware issues.

But looking on eBay even faulty cards are doing insane money, it's beyond my repair levels so card will just be tested and sold as is.

Comment

Some more scores:

- Linkworld 3210 case
                                    - Gigabyte 7VT600P-RZ
                                    - LG GSA-H12N IDE DVDRW
                                    - Samsung SH-182 DVDRW
                                    - LG DH40N SATA DVDRW
                                    - DFI Infinity NF4 SLI w/ Athlon 64 939
                                    - unknown case w/ temperature sensors & Cooler Master fan
                                    Main rig:
                                    Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                    Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                    16GB DDR3-1600
                                    Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                    Delux MG760 case

Comment

Probably one of my better scores of all time. Customer dumped this non working Peachtree Amp. After some fiddling, it turned out to be the front headphone jack was improperly detecting headphones being plugged in cutting off the main amp board. Fresh solder on the headphone board patched that right up...
                                      --------------------------------------------------------------
                                      Ryzen 3600x
                                      16GB Patriot 3600MHz
                                      MSI B450 Gaming Plus
                                      MSI Air Boost Vega 56
                                      Acer 32" 1440P Freesync
                                      Rosewill Capstone 750W
                                      --------------------------------------------------------------
                                      Hakko FX-888D Station
                                      FX-8802 Iron
                                      MG Chem .8mm 63/37 RA 2.2%

Comment

Was actually a ROG GT-AC5300 in the box of a ROG AX11000

Still a monster of a router.

Just manually flashed latest firmware on it and all working great.

Completely maxing out my internet download speed, getting 350mb wireless on my phone off it which is incredible compared to my old router.
                                        Attached Files

Comment

Where are the antennas? Either install antennas or terminators or disable the RF amplifier. Running it like that will have the RF amp running with a very high SWR, which could damage or kill the RF amp if left unterminated.
                                          Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
                                          RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                                          Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
                                          - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
                                          - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
                                          - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
                                          - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                          X