X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

Originally posted by TechGeek View Post
    Where are the antennas? Either install antennas or terminators or disable the RF amplifier. Running it like that will have the RF amp running with a very high SWR, which could damage or kill the RF amp if left unterminated.
    In the box, I was just testing. Better turn it off then until I get it setup in a permanent location!

On a side note testing graphics cards

2080 super - working (some cosmetic issues but card itself working fine)
    1080 ti - working
    RX 550 XT - working

Rtx 2060 - not working. No power, looks like there are tiny caps & resisters missing around the vram. Looks to be a rejected rma as has stickers with arrows pointing to the missing components. Gigabyte usually do that. Apppears to be 1 resister and 1 cap from each vram module. Not sure why someone would remove as don't think it was accidental

Rx 570 8gb - not working. Now power
    Gtx 1060 - not working no display

Can't believe got 3 working cards so for out of this lot, unbelievable for what I paid.

Comment

It's been a smorgasbord this week!!

Some kind of camera setup from an EDU used for online classes....they told me it was ~12,000 bucks new....I forgot the name of it....but there's a lot to it.

HP Laserjet 3800N color laser printer. Paper tray has a broken tab on the feeder. I rigged it up well enough to test the printer, and it prints beautiful! Color toners are near full, black is about 50%. I can replace the tray for about 20 bucks; worth it IMO.

Several 22" 1080 ultrasharp monitors with the soundbars....yea, more monitors I know....but these are nicer ones.

2x Lenovo slimline i5 systems.

2x Dell full tower 755's, those will probably be scrapped.

a LG 1080 plasma TV. Not sure of the size, but it looks to be ~50" give or take, doesn't power up...haven't taken it apart yet.

a Samsung 43" 4k TV, has power issues...working on that one.

a 'neat' document scanner, power up but havent tested any further.
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
      http://folding.stanford.edu/
      Team : 49813
      Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

Today's freebies (that I was paid to take) were 3x CRT TV's. 2x 27" Sanyo's and a 36" Zenith. All work....but the vertical linearity is a little out of kilter on the Zenith....probably needs caps...lol... I normally don't take these....but I was trying to help someone out...
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

WATCH OUT on that Zenith! If it's one of the 1990s console sets, check to see who made the CRT. If it's a Zenith-made CRT, junk it. Those like to short and take the HV section with it. Usual symptoms is no standby light, no power, unresponsive to remote.
          Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
          RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
          Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
          - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
          - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
          - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
          - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

WATCH OUT on that Zenith! If it's one of the 1990s console sets, check to see who made the CRT. If it's a Zenith-made CRT, junk it. Those like to short and take the HV section with it. Usual symptoms is no standby light, no power, unresponsive to remote.
            It was made in 1997; big table-top model. CRT seems to be ok. Bright & good color. Gonna try and rehome it.
            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
            Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
              It was made in 1997; big table-top model. CRT seems to be ok. Bright & good color. Gonna try and rehome it.
              That's good. Zenith had since switched to using RCA-made CRTs by the mid-1990s. RCA had a fairly strong controlling interest in Zenith by 1995. RCA made some pretty solid CRTs for consumer sets.
              Fun fact: This post made from a Clonezilla live USB while I'm taking a disk image of the HDD in this computer. w3m FTW.
              Last edited by TechGeek; 04-30-2021, 10:13 PM.
              Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
              Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mikay786 View Post
                On a side note testing graphics cards

2080 super - working (some cosmetic issues but card itself working fine)
                1080 ti - working
                RX 550 XT - working
                Can’t believe got 3 working cards so for out of this lot, unbelievable for what I paid.
                That really is a mega score, especially considering the current situation with the chip shortages. Here where I am, you can't find an RTX card in *any* condition. And if you do find a working one for sale, prepare to get charge an arm, a leg, and quite possibly a kidney for it too.

Several 22" 1080 ultrasharp monitors with the soundbars....yea, more monitors I know....but these are nicer ones.
                I mean, 22" monitors are still fine everyday use as far as I'm concerned.

2x Dell full tower 755's, those will probably be scrapped.
                I guess Core 2 systems are no longer relevant to people anymore - at least not from a resale standpoint, thanks to Windows 10 being such a hog and requiring so much RAM and CPU power to run decently. Shame, because those Dell BTX systems are really reliable workhorses (well, save for bad caps in the PSUs and sometimes on the motherboard too, of course.)

And here I am soon to "update" my parents' PC to one of those Dell BTX towers (not sure if I'll use a Dimension E520 or an Optiplex 755/760). They already are on a C2D system, but it's in a custom case and the USB ports aren't in the handiest of places. And mobo is limited to only 2 memory slots and 2 GB (won't take 2 GB modules, I tried.) So it's really going to be more of a side-grade than an upgrade at this point... but it doesn't matter too much. Their PC just needs to be able to handle printer/scanner duty and the occasional banking websites (as some of them don't have very good tablet/Apple support, according to my mother - and if she's complaining, that means it really must be bad.)

HP Laserjet 3800N color laser printer. Paper tray has a broken tab on the feeder. I rigged it up well enough to test the printer, and it prints beautiful! Color toners are near full, black is about 50%. I can replace the tray for about 20 bucks; worth it IMO.
                Yessir.
                Good color lasers are always worthwhile, especially if they come with nearly full toner.

I considered replacing my parents's printer about 2 years ago when it started printing scan-lines everywhere... but the options for a new printer on the market were depressing at best. There were some "disposable" laser printers that are very cheap, but their toners were said to not last worth anything (not even 200 pages!), and a new toner cost an arm and a leg - basically a cash-cow to sell and profit from toners. So that was a no-go.
                The ink-junks won't work with my parents, because they need to print way too infrequently. So the thing will probably get clogged heads.
                Used lasers are an option... but then finding one that's for sale because of an office moving and not because someone has printed and abused the living ghosts out of it is rare - at least around here. So I did a bit more research and figured a new fuser/drum assy might get their old printer going... and indeed that did the trick. $15 later got it working pretty well again. It's still not 100% perfect (looks like the new drum is also a bit "spotty" in terms of print quality), but overall much better than the old one.)
                Last edited by momaka; 04-30-2021, 10:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                  I mean, 22" monitors are still fine everyday use as far as I'm concerned.
                  ...and 1080, that's all most seem to care about..

I guess Core 2 systems are no longer relevant to people anymore - at least not from a resale standpoint, thanks to Windows 10 being such a hog and requiring so much RAM and CPU power to run decently. Shame, because those Dell BTX systems are really reliable workhorses (well, save for bad caps in the PSUs and sometimes on the motherboard too, of course.)
                  Systems like the 380 can accept Xeon mods (5450's are great), and with DDR3 (can take 8gb) + SSD, run 10 nicely actually. These are just in poor condition.....but since the end of the covid panic, towered PC sales are back to the toilet again.

Yessir.
                  Good color lasers are always worthwhile, especially if they come with nearly full toner.
                  I also grabbed a 500 sheet additional tray that the entire printer sits on. Tray 2 was the broken one, got one for $28 shipped. Tray 3 is the new addition, it was another $30 shipped. The reason they said they didn't fix the tray issue was when they "upgraded" to win10, it wasn't printing right using the 10 embedded driver. Color was all messed up. I was able to replicate the issue....and in the process of troubleshooting realized the machine had the original/first-release firmware on it. I updated it to the latest firmware, the issue was cured. I love inept IT guys that can't seem to fix things like that.
                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                  Team Stats

Comment

...and 1080, that's all most seem to care about..
                    Oh. Ugh.... For some reason I thought these would be 16:10's.
                    Well, don't get me wrong, they're still worthwhile monitors. I just prefer a little more vertical resolution personally... of course not so much like the vertical tiktok video crap trend. Double ugh!!!

At least 1080p 16:9 will do fine for YT... errr, sorry I meant "productivity".

On a side note, I always get a fun kick out of when I stumble upon an old YT video that was uploaded in proper 4:3 and fits perfectly on my CRTs. *sheds a tear of joy*:

These are just in poor condition.....but since the end of the covid panic, towered PC sales are back to the toilet again.
                    Interesting.
                    Here, PCs (of all kinds) are still in fairly steady demand. Maybe not as before when Covid kicked in, but still there.

If you're planning on scrapping those Optiplex cases, I actually might have a use for a few pieces if yours still have them. Will have to check exact parts, but off top of my head, I *think* a front optical drive bay area bezel plastic cover (not the part that covers the 5.25" slot itself, but the one that goes around all of them) and rear metal expansion card door/cover + plastic part. And maybe some parts for the plastic latch mechanism... but again, I'll have to check... and again, only if you're planning on scraping those cases, of course. I don't really "need" these parts, but would be nice for the sake of completion.

Also, I don't imagine your 755's came with RS232 and 2x PS/2 expansion bracket? Kind of a rare item (and I made one myself for one of my Dimensions that doesn't have the mobo header), but neat if wanting to add PS/2 support to one of these machines.

The reason they said they didn't fix the tray issue was when they "upgraded" to win10, it wasn't printing right using the 10 embedded driver. Color was all messed up. I was able to replicate the issue....and in the process of troubleshooting realized the machine had the original/first-release firmware on it. I updated it to the latest firmware, the issue was cured. I love inept IT guys that can't seem to fix things like that.
                    Well, you committed wizardry there that only the most elite of IT men are allowed to posses.
                    Last edited by momaka; 05-01-2021, 01:25 AM.

Comment

Well, don't get me wrong, they're still worthwhile monitors. I just prefer a little more vertical resolution personally... of course not so much like the vertical tiktok video crap trend. Double ugh!!!

On a side note, I always get a fun kick out of when I stumble upon an old YT video that was uploaded in proper 4:3 and fits perfectly on my CRTs. *sheds a tear of joy*:
                      Off-topic storytime:

At work the only things that aren't 1080p are some laptops (such as mine; the Latitude rugged series doesn't come in a 1080p version AFAIK). Everything else is 1080p or higher (external monitors, etc.). Heck, I've saved 1080's from the recycle bin for work use (can't take that home sadly!). Most recently, a 24" AOC clear polycarb unit with one bad backlight LED (not super noticable)... it had been used on a camera system for our tube mill (and was COVERED in nasty oil residue); I pulled it and after 10 minutes of elbow grease (and a lot of spray cleaner), I cleaned it most of the way up (as much as I can do without a teardown). Was fun fitting it on my desk (with another 24" 1080 plus my laptop and it's dock (whose screen I do use in this setup, for a total of three screens), but it works...

However, at home, aside from three LCDs (two of which were Topcat tradebait for the 4U Racks), nothing is 1080... I agree, for a given diagonal size, 16:10 feels bigger. Hence why the 22" 1080's from Topcat went to my wife, not to me (as they don't seems like an upgrade from the 22" HP professional 16:10 LCDs on my nicest system).

And then there's the workhorse system in my basement (what I find myself using the most, like right now)... with big bertha, the 24" FD Trintron in it's 16:10 glory, a whopping 2560x1600 @ 75hz. (so fine, I have to run windows 10 scaled to 150% to make it usable). The only downside (besides space, weight, power usage, and needing frequent manual degaussing) is that since it's VGA, long-term GPU support is an issue (most modern HMI/Display port to VGA adapters won't do that resolution, or much in the way of 16:10). My system has a GTX970 GPU, one of the last Nvidia's to support VGA (via a DVI passive adapter).
                      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Only bought a couple of items today at carboot as my pile is getting a bit too much, need to get rid of some stuff before buying more.

Dreamcast complete with controllers £25

and todays prized bargain a

roksan candy K2 integrated amplifier. £15

Looks a beauty, not tested yet.

Comment

Reading some of your findings puts mine to shame, but oh well, better something than zilch - found a still working PS3 Classic close to the trash next to my home. No controllers, but maybe I can figure something out later.
                          Btw. I'm kind of amazed that people would throw out a working console, especially on such times. On the other hand it's older now, newer consoles are getting slightly less expensive and common.

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                            Off-topic storytime:

At work the only things that aren't 1080p are some laptops (such as mine; the Latitude rugged series doesn't come in a 1080p version AFAIK). Everything else is 1080p or higher (external monitors, etc.). Heck, I've saved 1080's from the recycle bin for work use (can't take that home sadly!). Most recently, a 24" AOC clear polycarb unit with one bad backlight LED (not super noticable)... it had been used on a camera system for our tube mill (and was COVERED in nasty oil residue); I pulled it and after 10 minutes of elbow grease (and a lot of spray cleaner), I cleaned it most of the way up (as much as I can do without a teardown). Was fun fitting it on my desk (with another 24" 1080 plus my laptop and it's dock (whose screen I do use in this setup, for a total of three screens), but it works...

However, at home, aside from three LCDs (two of which were Topcat tradebait for the 4U Racks), nothing is 1080... I agree, for a given diagonal size, 16:10 feels bigger. Hence why the 22" 1080's from Topcat went to my wife, not to me (as they don't seems like an upgrade from the 22" HP professional 16:10 LCDs on my nicest system).

And then there's the workhorse system in my basement (what I find myself using the most, like right now)... with big bertha, the 24" FD Trintron in it's 16:10 glory, a whopping 2560x1600 @ 75hz. (so fine, I have to run windows 10 scaled to 150% to make it usable). The only downside (besides space, weight, power usage, and needing frequent manual degaussing) is that since it's VGA, long-term GPU support is an issue (most modern HMI/Display port to VGA adapters won't do that resolution, or much in the way of 16:10). My system has a GTX970 GPU, one of the last Nvidia's to support VGA (via a DVI passive adapter).

I'm still running a pretty good hodge-podge of displays.
                            ViewSonic VA903mb, 1280x1024 (5:4)
                            ViewSonic VG730m, 1280x1024 (5:4)
                            Acer V206HQL, 1600x900 (16:9)
                            Dell 1704FPT, 1280x1024 (5:4)
                            Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 710, 1440x1080 (4:3)
                            2002 23" Apple Cinema Display HD, 1920x1200 (16:10)
                            2x LG 30ML600M-B, 1920x1080 (16:9)

Kooky and Kool Systems

sigpic

Comment

The smorgasbord continues!!

The monitors bred...again!!

24" Polaroid TV...doesn't power up, probably needs caps.

13" TV/VCR combo; works.

13" TV; works.

Playstation2; works.

A couple VCR's. The one in the box has never been used.

A custom build in another awesomesauce coolermaster case.... Motherboard appears to be bad. Powers up but won't post. I'm guessing buzzed by lightning. The onboard NIC is already taped off and marked 'bad', typical of lightning/surge damage.

50" LG Plasma. Has power issues, haven't looked into it yet....and a 43" Samsung 4k in the background...

53" Scepter.....fixed for someone....

Attached Files
                              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                              Team Stats

Comment

RCA had a fairly strong controlling interest in Zenith by 1995. RCA made some pretty solid CRTs for consumer sets.
                                And then, RCA was hit-and-miss at best by later-on in the '00s!

In fact, I came across a 2005 RCA CRT TV with the dreaded "clicks off to standby syndrome".
                                ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

I looked at these closer.....they're 2007WFPb; 16:10 but 20" not 22.... :-/ I believe those are 1680x1050....but I'm with you completely on 16:9 versus 16:10. 16:9 is fine for a TV, but on a monitor I want the extra vertical real estate! I will never replace my 3x 30" 16:10's.....if I can't fix them when they die, I'll find more like 'em!!
                                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                  Team Stats

Comment

Looks like the PSU possibly killed the Asus P5N-D.
                                    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                                      Looks like the PSU possibly killed the Asus P5N-D.
                                      I have no idea, I haven't dug into it at all. I was just admiring the case.
                                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                      Team Stats

Comment

HDMI Switcher and PNY 9400GT today that I already cleaned up
                                        --------------------------------------------------------------
                                        Ryzen 3600x
                                        16GB Patriot 3600MHz
                                        MSI B450 Gaming Plus
                                        MSI Air Boost Vega 56
                                        Acer 32" 1440P Freesync
                                        Rosewill Capstone 750W
                                        --------------------------------------------------------------
                                        Hakko FX-888D Station
                                        FX-8802 Iron
                                        MG Chem .8mm 63/37 RA 2.2%

Comment

Now we get to box 2; and the pick of the litter!! I stumbled over this box twice and paid no attention to it until after I had already checked out.....and then it dawned on me....that box said Supermicro on it.....so I went back and opened the flaps to see this!

I looked at it no further....I closed it back up and walked it up to the counter.

...and here's what I got!! Brand new in box Supermicro SC-742 eATX chassis!! It's of course in perfect condition and BEIGE!! Anything NIB beige is getting nearly impossible to find, then add in it's a Supermicro! MEGA SCORE!!!

Bag still sealed.

Taken out of the bag for the first time.....it even still smelled new!

HDD's are internally mounted, it doesn't have the hotswap backplane...but I can live with that.

Case internals, shiny & new!!

FSP 300w PSU....that's nothing to get overly excited about.....but is an ok PSU....I'll still check the caps before use.

Not a bad haul. The case was $25. Total, I spent $70 bucks.
                                          I believe I have found just the right board to go in this. Yes, it's an eATX Supermicro....running some harder to find CPU's..... While nothing housed in a case like this would ever qualify as a 'sleeper', what's going in it is certainly not what one would expect to find.
                                          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                          Team Stats

Comment

Working...
                                          X