This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

Today's freebies are 2x Compaq towers that were so scuzzy I didnt want to touch them...but upon disassembling one of them, I test fitted that leftover X7DCA-L I've got....and with a small trim, this oddball mATX board will fit!

...and the last one was a Fujitsu Lifebook t730 i5 @ 2.67 8gb RAM. Dual batteries. OS was trashed and full of crapware. It's a real pain getting stuff to work on this thing....

Attached Files
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Dan81 View Post
      Scored a PC today w/ another IP35.

Will check when I get home though, I got it to power on but that's as far as I could do (other than soft-off.) with it due to missing beeper.
      If it's got a bad socket/socket pin, don't even expect it to bleep at all, just LEDs and fans, likely...
      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
        If it's got a bad socket/socket pin, don't even expect it to bleep at all, just LEDs and fans, likely...
        The heatsink was never removed. In fact, I got the PC as the owner left it.
        Main rig:
        Gigabyte B75M-D3H
        Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
        Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
        16GB DDR3-1600
        Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
        FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
        120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
        Delux MG760 case

Comment

The heatsink was never removed. In fact, I got the PC as the owner left it.
          Well, the processor still being installed, usually prevents that type of issue...
          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

Comment

Another box of 1TB drives.

And, a "Display Port Hub" -- now what the hell will I use THAT for??

Comment

Well, the processor still being installed, usually prevents that type of issue...
              Exactly.

In fact, the only reason I got it is because the seller said that the PSU blew. He went to some "pro" (yeah, right.) repair shop and they told him that everything was smoked because of the PSU (which is some pretty huge BS, in rare cases it can happen but smoking a floppy drive would be ridiculous given that it was connected correctly.

Very likely just the PSU blew and everything survived. SB doesn't get insanely hot and board does turn on and off using the power button (if SB was smoked it would get hot when 5vSB is applied regardless of powering on or not) but that's as far as I tested.

Other goodies it came with are a C2D E6400, a Antec 80mm fan and a crappy 80mm fan which was seized (near the CPU cooler, above I/O shield) which I threw away.

The case is somewhat above Deer quality. It's like the Frontier I mentioned a few pages back (momaka might know it, it came with a Deer ) but much more polished - by that I mean the sharp edges were somewhat fixed and I didn't cut my fingers in it. It also features a temperature sensor w/ LCD, although it's probably just for the CPU, since I found only one probe and the sensor doesn't have a 3-way switch either (unlike a Deer/JNC I have which has three probes and a three way switch, which monitors CPU,HDD and "SYS").

Back to the thread, I traded my old Galaxy Core Prime 4G for a Note 4. So far I found out what was wrong with the N4 - whatever stupid shop tried to unlock it not only triggered the KNOX counter, but they also changed the IMEI to a N9109W.
              Last edited by Dan81; 03-09-2018, 04:16 AM.
              Main rig:
              Gigabyte B75M-D3H
              Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
              16GB DDR3-1600
              Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
              Delux MG760 case

Comment

Found this beautiful beast at Goodwill for $2.99
                What a deal! These were hard to find in Black, and it's in really good shape. I brought it into work to show off and use as my main work keyboard since our Dell docking stations have PS/2. The <30 year old crowd had no reaction, and the >30 year olds thought it was super awesome.

The sound of the keys is unique and the feedback on it is great. The spacing of the keys is perfect for my hands. Will own until I'm dead. Long live PS/2! I am okay with USB mice, but I haven't liked any USB keyboard as much as my PS/2 keyboards.

Attached Files

Comment

Free scores for last week :

1 - A lot of 18 Webcameras Board-x , all working . Spent like two hours to separate their cables , lol ..

2 - One Acer Aspire 7112w 17" , looks like out of a WWIII . Paint is really bad , lot of scratches and keyboard is dusty and greasy , one hinge is broken and there are no inlet power . Just two wires getting out of its hole . On testing , it's fully working . This one has a rotating camera view and since it's 17'' , it's worth reconditioning .

3 - One laptop Lenovo G555 , Without screen . Upon fitting a compatible one and testing , it turns on for awhile and then shut off . I will try another CPU next ..

4 - One Pentium 4 case , it will go for scrap . Goodnight XP..

Comment

Got a Enermax EG365P-VE 350W for cheap.

Seized Globe Fans (I thought Enermax wouldn't go that low, guess I was wrong then ) and Hitachi primaries with pretty new PCE-TUR caps on the secondary.

Already gutting it. I don't have any use for it considering I have a Seasonic SS-351HT that is better.
                    Main rig:
                    Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                    Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                    16GB DDR3-1600
                    Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                    Delux MG760 case

Comment

You're looking at $30K... I'm sure the manufacturer has some way of justifying that price!
                      Attached Files

Comment

they justify it by saying that the customer doesnt have a leg to stand on!

you know the medical industry are all fucking vultures!

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                          you know the medical industry are all fucking vultures!
                          Actually, they are, apparently, not the "vultures" that you might think!

From https://www.inc.com/jeff-haden/the-1...profitabl.html:

Here are the 15 most profitable industries in 2016, ranked by net profit margin:
                          • Accounting, tax prep, bookkeeping, payroll services: 18.3%
                          • Legal services: 17.4%
                          • Lessors of real estate: 17.4%
                          • Outpatient care centers: 15.9%
                          • Offices of real estate agents and brokers: 14.8%
                          • Offices of other health practitioners: 14.2%
                          • Offices of dentists: 14.1%
                          • Specialized design services: 12.8%
                          • Automotive equipment rental and leasing: 12.5%
                          • Activities related to real estate: 12.3%
                          • Warehouse and storage: 11.6%
                          • Offices of physicians: 11.5%
                          • Nonmetallic mineral mining and quarrying: 11.2%
                          • Medical and diagnostic laboratories: 11.1%
                          • Other schools and instruction: 10.5%
                          A good deal of the cost of medical devices and care (USA) has to do with the sheer amount of LABOR involved in delivering that service (damn little labor involved getting a PC from drawing board into average consumer's hands, when averaged over the number of units sold!).

[By far, I spend more money (time) installing and configuring software than it costs me to purchase a machine at ANY price point!]

I found a copy of the "order form" for the chair. An endless list of "options" to choose from. And, these aren't "trim level" choices ("Would you like the Corinthian leather and the 5 channel sound system?") but, rather configuration options that are related to the needs of the person CONFINED to the chair (this is the sort of chair someone LIVES IN, not "rides around when they're at the grocery store"):
                          • oxygen tank holder
                          • ventilator tray (assisted breathing)
                          • tray for battery pack for ventilator
                          • chin cup for joystick (i.e., control joystick with your chin instead of hand)
                          • armrest pad (left and/or right)
                          • arm trough adapter (holds arm in place)
                          • elbow support
                          • foot plate
                          • calf support
                          • headrest/support
                          • thigh/hip support
                          • chest support/belt/strap
                          • etc.

Even the things that look like they might be "luxuries" are probably rooted in "need" instead of "desire":
                          • push handles (someone to push you along)
                          • "attendant" controller (someone to "drive" the chair for you)
                          • self-leveling cup holder
                          • "incontinence covers" (for many of the body-contact components)
                          • etc.

Would a "phone holder" be considered a "need" or a "desire"? Or, hooks to hang a "medical necessities bag" off the back of the chair?

OTOH, I suspect there is a bit of snob-appeal to the color LCD joystick control over the monochrome version (which is undoubtedly an up-sell from the discrete LED indicator version!)

And, everything has to be installed and adjusted to the body size/shape and physical requirements/capabilities of the "driver" -- i.e. labor!

When folks grumble about a "$100+ office visit" -- "And I only saw the doctor for 10 minutes!!" (implying that he gets $600/hour), I remember all of the other folks working behind the counter in the office... the receptionist who scheduled my appointment and sorted out the paperwork for the visit; the physician's aid who got my vitals and quizzed me as to the reason for my visit; the doctor's time; the billing department's time with my insurer; etc.

So, as I read the prices for each of these wheelchair "options", I use that sort of metric to decide just what's outrageously priced and what is probably a true representation of the cost of providing that option.

$236 for an armrest pouch (a little canvas bag affixed to the armrest) seems high; the bag itself can't cost more than a couple of dollars -- even if it has to be removable and washable (when user spills coffee on it, vomitus, etc.). And, fastening it, securely, to the armrest of the user's choosing can't be THAT time consuming.

OTOH, $160 for an elbow support might be in-line with true costs considering it will have to be positioned exactly and fixed in that position (so the user's body movements don't knock it out of adjustment)

[And, of course, no idea if there are prenegotiated rates for all of this with insurers, medicare, etc.]

Comment

Got two MBs for cheap, each listed as broken:

MSI P35 Neo2 Platinum - been told it hangs on the main POST screen - inserted a Elpida 1GB stick, a E2160 and it POST'd straight away.

ASUS P5K SE/EPU - been told it would show "USB overvoltage" and then shut down. Somebody stuck a jumper between two of the USB header pins .
                            Had a few bent pins in the socket but I straightened them out and it POST'd as well.

Both MBs have Marvel 88SE6111-NAA1 SATA & eSATA PCI-E controllers integrated. The only differences are the ASUS does not feature a separate USB port for it while the MSI does.
                            Main rig:
                            Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                            Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                            16GB DDR3-1600
                            Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                            Delux MG760 case

Comment

Kenwood KR-A5040 Stereo Receiver (80W per channel) for $1, a little banged up (some scratches/nicks on the front panel and a few dings on the top of the case) but fully working.

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by dmill89 View Post
                                Kenwood KR-A5040 Stereo Receiver (80W per channel) for $1, a little banged up (some scratches/nicks on the front panel and a few dings on the top of the case) but fully working.
                                A steal and a nice bit of kit, I have a KR-V5090.

Comment

Best computer score was about two years ago. A neighbor knocks on my door and tells me someone just put three computers in one of the facility dumpsters. Which are frequently used by non residents as well.

So I head over immediately head over there and two were still there.

So I scored two nice Dell Dimension desktops with XPS motherboards, core 2 duos. Two very high speed CD readers in each, no hard drives. I kept one for spare parts and put one in the driver's seat. With what was once a hot PCIe GPU installed, 4 GB ram, a high end Intel server network card, and with OS Linux Ubuntu 16.04 it runs better than most new non-game or non-graphics optimized desktops I've seen and as reliable as an anvil.

I intend to ride this horse until it quits, and then shoot it.
                                  Why don't you mine your own Bismuth,
                                  Mine your own Bismuth
                                  Mine your own Bismuth
                                  Why don't you mine your own Bismuth,
                                  So you won't be mining mine?

Comment

Cheap tires for my Suburban! 2017 manufacture date according to the listing, so they're fairly new - some of the tires this seller has listed are new old stock, but if the listing was accurate I got a good deal! Has to be better than what I have on there right now, and they're all different (not great on a 4WD)...

Comment

THose are a little worn.....thats one drawback of a dual rear wheel pickup....have to buy 6 tires...
                                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                                      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                                      http://folding.stanford.edu/
                                      Team : 49813
                                      Join in!!
                                      Team Stats

Comment

Got two MBs for cheap, each listed as broken:

MSI P35 Neo2 Platinum - been told it hangs on the main POST screen - inserted a Elpida 1GB stick, a E2160 and it POST'd straight away.

ASUS P5K SE/EPU - been told it would show "USB overvoltage" and then shut down. Somebody stuck a jumper between two of the USB header pins
                                        It should say "USB overcurrent" I would think...

And for the first motherboard, assuming it's DDR2, raise the VDIMM to 1.90 V before adding more sticks! (especially more than 2 RAM sticks!) I had that kind of bullshit with my Asus P5QL Pro motherboard, IIRC.
                                        Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 03-16-2018, 05:24 PM.
                                        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

And for the first motherboard, assuming it's DDR2, raise the VDIMM to 1.90 V before adding more sticks! (especially more than 2 RAM sticks!) I had that kind of bullshit with my Asus P5QL Pro motherboard, IIRC.
                                          Actually I narrowed it down to his RAM sticks being crap. I used a Elpida, then a Kingmax and finally a Corsair, each passing POST successfully. Yes, it's DDR2.
                                          Main rig:
                                          Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                          Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                          16GB DDR3-1600
                                          Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                          Delux MG760 case

Comment

Working...
                                          X