Samsung UN65MU8000FXZA Panel Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung UN65MU8000FXZA Panel Removal

We are starting to see the Samsung MU Series Tv's coming in for backlight repairs. This one has 3 tiny screws on each corner bottom and no screws for the bezel so I'm assuming it is double sided taped in. Has anyone pulled this panel yet and have any removal diagrams? I've got a UN75MU8000FXZA coming in too soon for a backlight repair. These look risky and I average 3 backlight repairs a week and this one is stressing me out. If you have the3 service manual I'll see if it sheds some light. Thanks forum.

Re: Samsung UN65MU8000FXZA Panel Removal

I've yet to see a service manual that details how to remove a panel - if the SM is even available. Look for the bezel snapping into the main frame. I've seen both double sided tape AND an non-hardening glue holding the panel, especially on the larger sizes. I use a hair dryer to weaken the bonds enough to separate the panel from the frame without damaging the panel. I then use a pair of double suction cups to lift the panel off the frame. It is frightening, I know, but it does work without damaging the panel.

Comment

Here is a picture of the back side and it appears the bezel is double sided taped all around with just a small screw keeping it tight around the corners. And I see these metal rods going all around like clips holding something down. Do these need to be removed? It looks like they hold the diffusers down. With the panel up I see a possible entry point to get a thin plastic sheet and use a hair driver to get the adhesive loose to release the panel and maybe put some plastic playing cards behind it to keep it from re-adhering to the adhesive almost like removing a cell phone digitizer I guess huh? I love the flush look but they sure know how to make it difficult on this old coot. Time to get the heat gun out. I'm going to need a lot of time and patience with this Sammy and then I've got it's big sister 75" 8000 series right behind it. If I can pull that one off it's going in the game room man cave.
      Attached Files

Comment

Don't use a heat gun - too much heat. Use a hair dryer.

I still would bet that the bezel just snaps off once the screws are removed. There appears to be a metal bar across the bottom. That has to be removed first.

Comment

Aren't those rods what the back clips onto ?

Comment

Hairdryer & an old credit card, library card or whatever card you have spare.

Comment

It's hard to tell if the black plastic surrounding is part of the bezel or if it's the black plastic trim that has the adhesive to the panel. I've got so many backlight repair tv's coming in it's going to be awhile before I can get to it. It appears the silver trim is wrapped around the tv and held in tight with the small screws in the lower corners. And it looks like the panel just lays in that black plastic trim inside the silver bezel with double sided adhesive holding it tight down to the black trim. I thought I would remove the screws first and see if the silver trim comes off first and see if the black trim is glued inside of it. Then take a hair dryer and try to get a playing card underneath the panel to separate it from the adhesive ever so carefully. And then wondering if it has side drivers with delicate ic's that I have to be careful around. I will take pictures as I go along to help others to understand the "Unknown Territory" so it will make some sense. Unfortunately the guys at ShopJimmy has not made a video of this model yet. I'm not sure what role the metal rods do going around the perimeter and one in the middle yet but I'm leaning towards they may be what holds the stantions that holds the defuser's and panels flat away from the casing. I'm praying someone out there has done one of these backlight repairs on these beautiful 8000 series tv's MU's and can shed some light on this for us because they are starting to roll in so we might as well educate each other other. Luckily Yuppie Scum gave these to me when I quoted the backlight repair cost so I have time and nothing to lose or risk. I'll use the 65 as a practice run before I dive into that 75 inch and sell the 65 so it will pay for both backlight kits and I will have no money in it at all. I'll earn my bragging rights on these. Any Samsung Authorized Service Center guys out there that can see if there is a fast track bulletin on removing this panel? Thanks everyone for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
                Aren't those rods what the back clips onto ?
                Yes. 100% they do not hold the diffusers or anything else. just the back of the TV

Comment

It's edge lit and it's a shame that they didn't just have two backlight modules to screw in from the back side once you get the back clips from hell popped up. But that makes too much sense....thanks engineers. Do the metal rods have to come out to do a backlight repair since I'm needing to access the other side to get to the edge lit bars or do they stay in? The thin silver bezel looks like its held around the panel with a thick black adhesive. The panel looks like its laying in a indentation of that black plastic insert inside that silver bezel and just needs to be slightly heated to get something thin under it to separate the adhesive like a cell phone screen repair. Whenever I run into adhesive situations I like to use my ufix bean bags I heat up for 2 minutes in the microwave and lay it on the panel for about 5 minutes and it softens the adhesive enough to get a playing card or thin guitar pick to run under the edge to separate the adhesive and leave them so the adhesive doesn't cool and re adhere. It's a little safer on panels and really puts out a lot of dry heat.

Comment

I think the backlight assembly on the MU series may be riveted to the chassis? I know some of the newer Samsungs go that route. Just one more challenge to replace them I suppose.

Comment

Rivoted? Oh that would suck. to the engineers that thought up that lame brain idea. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to install led backlights from the back of the chassis instead of having to pull a panel to do it? My backlight led bar just came in so I'll send a couple of pics. I'm praying that once I take those 3 small screws out in the lower corner the bezel will come off easily but it looks like it has adhesive in there. The other backlight repairs are taking up all my big tables and hope to get to it soon. I'll take pictures as I go along for everyone.

Comment

Here are the pics. ShopJimmy send the whole backplate with the led bar's already installed. Nice. The 75" Mu that I just got in has a conventional bezel surround instead of the thin edge to edge look. Has anybody seen the NU's or RU's in the 8000 and 9000 series to see if they are gonna be the same pain?
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by brucetv; 07-31-2019, 08:10 AM. Reason: Update

Comment

Nightmare #2 On this model there is a silver trim piece with the Samsung Logo that has to be removed first. On each end where they are fused to the surrounding bezel are clips on each end that have to be carefully pried up until it pops the first clip. Then I used my 5 in 1 tool to pry that up and pop each clip until the trim comes off. Next step is to start in the upper corner of the panel and heat the panel up to loosen the two way black foam tape that holds the panel down so there is no light leakage and that panel to panel edge look. I heat a 10 inch section at a time and after about 3 minutes I can slide a plastic playing card under it safely. Then move onto the next section sliding the playing card behind the panel and replacing it with a new card so the adhesive will no re-adhere. Once you have it on all sides except the bottom it's ready for removal and pulls up nicely with suctions cups. Clean up the left over foam that comes off. Now comes the next nightmare. The friggin bezel also has a foam surround holding it in so grab that heat gun again cowboy and get ready for another long ride. It's clear Samsung did not design these for easy backlight repair and you gotta have balls and a lot of time. But I'm up for the challenge Here's some more pics at what stage I'm at and I'll keep you all updated when I can get back on it in the shop.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Nightmare #3 The silver bezel and the black bezel that holds the difussers underneath use clips so use the 5 in 1 tool to pop the clips and remove the bezel. No adhesive tape luckily. Once you get the diffusers moved over the Nightmare # 4 starts. JJ was right, the mammoth led bar(it's about 10" wide) is rivoted to the chassis. Give me 10 minutes with the Samsung engineer that thought that idea up. No problem, popped them rivots like butter with my whammo jammo 5000 tool. Here are some more pics. It's Heineken time.
                            Attached Files

Comment

What's a whammo jammo 5000 tool?

What kind of rivets are they? I can understand the rivets - the LEDs create so much heat that the bar must ALWAYS be in contact with some type of heat sink, something that heat tape can't always do. I think that I would like rivets better than tape if they are simple pop-rivets.

Comment

The rest of it is fairly simple. I used short machine screws to reinstall the new backlight bar and did a test and all leds lit up great. The original symptom was dark shading on the right side and when I pulled the old one out I was missing around 20% of the led's lighting up on the right side. It's a shame because these Samsung led's are usually pretty stout but the owner had it on Dynamic and they eventually blew. The bezels use thin clips and popped down nicely but the two corners have to be bent back square to snap tightly with the bottom black bezel. I used 2mm of red adhesive tape around the 2 sides and the top of the panel so it lays down onto the original foam gasket nicely to avoid light leak so get some help to line it up before you lay the panel down. Replaced all the thin rods and fired her up and it looks great. In retrospect the difficulty of repair was a 8, 10 being the hardest and it will not be a cost effective fix to my customer's due to the amount of bench time involved to do a backlight repair. Samsung could have easily engineered this backlight bar to be installed from the back instead of pulling a panel. But instead they hope you get stupid and run your Tv on Dynamic and go and buy another new 8000 series at $2000-$3500 a pop. Hope this helps everyone that wants to attempt this repair and I'll include a picture of the led bar.
                                Attached Files

Comment

The whammo jammo 5000 tool is my Chicago Electric cutting tool with a 4 1/2" Warrior cutoff wheel. You can get them at Harbor Freight and it's fast and easy. On this model there are two pop rivets that are close to the wide ribbon cables so tape those back out of your way. After you cut the back of the rivot off the other piece falls out. You are correct when you say the bar acts like a heat sink to distribute the heat evenly from the Samsung led chips. You can also use a pop rivot removal tool. I didn't have any pop rivots that small so I used small machine bolts and nuts to hold the bar tight to the chassis. I'm praying the 75" big brother I've got coming up next is not this difficult. Shame shit, shading on the right side and it uses 4 led bars. The bezel is wider and I'm hoping that its a 1 piece and easy to remove. I've got a buyer for this 65" already and will use part of that to get the kit for the 75" and it's going in the sports room. Yuppie scum will be giving these away like candy once they find out the repair charge for a backlight repair which is good because the Tv also has a history of flashing on and off mostly which is the Main board 60% of the time and Power Supply 40% so check those voltages before you assume it's bad backlights. It has a beautiful picture but it uses a one connect box. If you look at the new 8K's they use this same very thin bezel look so I don't see myself doing any backlight repairs on it unless they give it to me. I'm getting too old to take on that kind of liability especially at the price of those beautes.
                                  Attached Files

Comment

I love those HF angle grinders. I have 3 around the house right now. Pretty much my go to work horses when it comes to steel work. One has a cut-off disk, one has a grinding disk and one has a flap sanding disk. You can really abuse them without worrying about their repair costs - when they go bad, just toss them and pick up another.

Even so, I would have preferred to drill out the rivets to prevent the metal shavings being any where close to the TV.
                                    Last edited by SLK001; 08-25-2019, 02:19 PM.

Comment

I am working on one of these right now. I’m curious what double sided tape everyone is using to put the panel back together?

Any recommendations?

Comment

Working...
                                      X