Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asus Gl553VW turn on no windows boot

Hello people!

Ive got this asus gl553VW and when i wanne install windows it shuts down, in bios the laptop stays on forever without problems.
    Ive replaced the fan/repasted and measured lots of things but everything seems normal, also nothing seems to be heating up as far as i know.
    I made a video to show u guys what it does, hope someone can put me into the right direction of whats broken and where to look for. Its not a heat issue i excluded that for sure

Thanks for taking ur time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40_N...=BigMouthBilly

Re: Asus Gl553VW turn on no windows boot

Sometimes it can be related to faulty RAM or even a faulty CPU. I went through similar cases when the device failed to install OS and replacing RAM and sometimes CPU solved the issue.

First of all, I suggest you to try booting Ubuntu or Linux Mint from Live USB stick and check if the laptop is able to boot and run the system successfully.

In second place, run memtestx86 from USB stick and check for RAM errors. If it happen to get too many errors then you likely have a faulty RAM in the laptop.

Comment

Hi smoxx,

Thanks for ur respond! Its not a ram issue ive tried different sticks.

U might be right bout the cpu, is there a way to measure it? Or can it be also power management or the hm170 chip?

Greetings daniel

Comment

Did you check the VCore rail? Sometimes a bad capacitor can also cause shutdown issues. You can also check the voltage when attempting to install OS to see if there is voltage drop or other anomalies.

When only in BIOS settings, there is very little CPU demand and that is why the device can stay on as forever without shutting down. On the other hand, the OS install will require more CPU and so the failure will appear.
        Last edited by Smoxx; 02-18-2021, 12:28 PM.

Comment

[double post]
          Last edited by Smoxx; 02-18-2021, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Smoxx View Post
            Did you check the VCore rail? Sometimes a bad capacitor can also cause shutdown issues. You can also check the voltage when attempting to install OS to see if there is voltage drop or other anomalies.

When only in BIOS settings, there is very little CPU demand and that is why the device can stay on as forever without shutting down. On the other hand, the OS install will require more CPU and so the failure will appear.
            Thanks again for ur respond, is it the capacitors circled on the picture ?
            or wich ones shud i measure? thanks for ur help!!!

https://ibb.co/Vt6gk9N (link to foto)

Comment

Alright i have been measuring the capacitor ( marked in circle ) their al 19.6v

the nr 1 marked measures 0V
              the nr 2 marked measures 3 to 5.5V
              the nr 3 marked measures 0.4-0.6v
              the nr 4 marked measures 3 to 5.5v
              the nr 5 marked measures 0v

wil wait for a replay to see what to do or whats next, im not sure myself.
              thanks for making time for me !

https://ibb.co/N19Hsym ( link to picture )

Comment

try to replace the hard drive.. maybe a faulty drive.. worth to try.
                Never stop LEARNING because life never stops TEACHING!

Comment

Originally posted by Duranitron View Post
                  try to replace the hard drive.. maybe a faulty drive.. worth to try.
                  Thanks for ur respond, ive tried different hdd also tried a m.2 stil the same issue.
                  It is somewhere mainbord related. I can solder and measure. But im not sure what to measure.

Fans spin, nothing gets hot. Are those voltages i measured okay? Im nit sure about the 2 coils having 0v

Comment

Not coils, inducter.

Comment

Let's try re-check some basics first.

1)What is the exact laptop model and hardware specs (board revision, CPU, RAM, etc)

2)Does the shutdown occur regardless of whether the device is powered by PSU or battery?

3)Is the PSU original? Have you tried with another one?

3)What about the battery? Is it original? Is visual inspection OK? Have you checked the voltages?

4)Has the device been repaired before? Has the BIOS been reflashed?

In what condition did you check the voltages? With the laptop powered on to BIOS settings only?

The 19v in the polymers is correct but you shouldn't get above 1.5v on coils 1,2,3 and 4, otherwise CPU would be already fried and the board dead. These values do not seem to be correct.

Can you take a picture of the entire board marking all coils then measure all voltages and post the results?
                      Would be even better if you'd measure the voltages while booting to OS install.

Comment

Let's try re-check some basics first.

1)What is the exact laptop model and hardware specs (board revision, CPU, RAM, etc)

2)Does the shutdown occur regardless of whether the device is powered by PSU or battery?

3)Is the PSU original? Have you tried with another one?

3)What about the battery? Is it original? Is visual inspection OK? Have you checked the voltages?

4)Has the device been repaired before? Has the BIOS been reflashed?

In what condition did you check the voltages? With the laptop powered on to BIOS settings only?

The 19v in the polymers is correct but you shouldn't get above 1.5v on coils 1,2,3 and 4, otherwise CPU would be already fried and the board dead. These values do not seem to be correct.

Can you take a picture of the entire board marking all coils then measure all voltages and post the results?
                        Would be even better if you'd measure the voltages while booting to OS install.
                        awsome!

1) model nr GL553VW-FY089T. intel i7-6700HQ. 2x4GB ddr4 ( used also ddr4 from my own laptop same outcome). gtx 960M 4gb.

2) powering on just battery same outcome, powering on just PSU same outcome, powering with both same outcome. All original, PSU is good, battery is good.

3) all original, visual inspection good. measuring 14.7v on all red wires.

4) board never been repaired before, i have flashed bios to latest ( was already latest ) reflashing didnt make a difference. i have a bios programmer but did it just the normal asus way ( in bios ez flash )

( ur right i measured the wrong side of the coils)
                        coils 2+3+4 on boot its 0.97. as soon windows loads it jumps between 1.1 and lowest 0.3
                        coil 1+5 is 0.01v
                        coil 6 is 1.05v
                        coil 7 is 14.2v
                        coil 8 is 1.37v
                        coil 9 is 0.96
                        coil 10 is 1.22v ( its near the ram under the black plastic )
                        coil 11 is 1.0v
                        coil 12 is 3.35v
                        coil 13 is 5.12v

Voltages are measerud while trying to load into windows

i notice that coil 2-3-4 jumps araund a bit while the other seem more stable voltage.

today i managed to install windows almost full, the shutdown happen not always on the same moment. sometimes it takes a minute sometimes 5, and sometimes 30 seconds.

https://ibb.co/9yxdQRq ( link to foto )
                        Last edited by Pfudaniel; 02-19-2021, 06:54 AM.

Comment

Good!

There are 3 coils missing (those near the GPU. They seem to be covered with thermal compound, maybe glue...)
                          Also check the voltages in the 560uf polymers and the 470uf tantalum in that rail.

Please also check the voltage of the two 470uf tantalum in the +Vcore rail (coils 2+3+4)

Comment

Good!

There are 3 coils missing (those near the GPU. They seem to be covered with thermal compound, maybe glue...)
                            Also check the voltages in the 560uf polymers and the 470uf tantalum in that rail.

Please also check the voltage of the two 470uf tantalum in the +Vcore rail (coils 2+3+4)
                            Cheers!!

coil 14 is 0.9v
                            coil 15 is 0.9v
                            coil 16 is 0.9v
                            1 (560uf) is 0.9v
                            2 (560uf) is 0.9v

1 (470uf) is 0.97v on boot ( gos little up and down when loading windows )
                            2 (470uf) is 0.97v on boot ( gos little up and down when loading windows )
                            3 (470uf at the gpu coils ) is 0.9v

again foto linked https://ibb.co/nc14L2Q

Comment

+VCORE - coils 2+3+4 on boot its 0.97. as soon windows loads it jumps between 1.1 and lowest 0.3 (voltage is OK and that's normal, it will vary according to CPU demand)
                              +VCCGT (Intel GFX core) - coil 1+5 is 0.01v (missing or disabled by GPU?)
                              +VCCSA -coil 6 is 1.05v - OK
                              +BAT_R - coil 7 is 14.2v - OK
                              +1.35VO_VGA - coil 8 is 1.37v - OK
                              +VCCIO_O - coil 9 is 0.96 - OK
                              +1.2VO_DDR - coil 10 is 1.22v - OK
                              +1.0VO - coil 11 is 1.0v - OK
                              +3VO - coil 12 is 3.35v - OK
                              +5VO - coil 13 is 5.12v - OK
                              +NVVDD - coil 14+15+16 is 0.9v - OK

All voltages are OK but not sure about GFX Core. It can be disabled by default due to discrete graphics in this board or maybe is really missing due to a fault in that rail?

Could anyone confirm the default for this board? I would appreciate.

Comment

+VCORE - coils 2+3+4 on boot its 0.97. as soon windows loads it jumps between 1.1 and lowest 0.3 (voltage is OK and that's normal, it will vary according to CPU demand)
                                +VCCGT (Intel GFX core) - coil 1+5 is 0.01v (missing or disabled by GPU?)
                                +VCCSA -coil 6 is 1.05v - OK
                                +BAT_R - coil 7 is 14.2v - OK
                                +1.35VO_VGA - coil 8 is 1.37v - OK
                                +VCCIO_O - coil 9 is 0.96 - OK
                                +1.2VO_DDR - coil 10 is 1.22v - OK
                                +1.0VO - coil 11 is 1.0v - OK
                                +3VO - coil 12 is 3.35v - OK
                                +5VO - coil 13 is 5.12v - OK
                                +NVVDD - coil 14+15+16 is 0.9v - OK

All voltages are OK but not sure about GFX Core. It can be disabled by default due to discrete graphics in this board or maybe is really missing due to a fault in that rail?

Could anyone confirm the default for this board? I would appreciate.
                                thanks for that answer! thats a really good question, im not sure if it shud be disabled by default or not in bios there is no such option to enable/disable. if all voltages are ok, the problem can be with the cpu itself?

intel website shows theres a Intel® HD Graphics 530 in this cpu, makes me believe theres a fault in the rail. but i cant tel for sure. il wait for a respons on it.
                                https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us...-3-50-ghz.html

or od u happen to know what to measure check for on that rail ?
                                can it not be the super i/o chip (ITE) is faulty ?
                                Last edited by Pfudaniel; 02-19-2021, 10:48 AM.

Comment

+VCCGT should be 0.55v~1.55v

I found a boardview for GL553VD, wich looks very similar, or maybe they are even the same board.

Open it with boardviewer and check L8004 and L8003 rails. Check if there is 19v on pin 8 of U8004 + U8006 and if there is voltage on pins 16 to 26.
                                  Attached Files
                                  Last edited by Smoxx; 02-19-2021, 11:48 AM.

Comment

+VCCGT should be 0.55v~1.55v

I found a boardview for GL553VD, wich looks very similar, or maybe they are even the same board.

Open it with boardviewer and check L8004 and L8003 rails. Check if there is 19v on pin 8 of U8004 + U8006 and if there is voltage on pins 16 to 26.
                                    Smoxx man ur amazing! ive tried looking for a schematic/boardvieuw but cud not find it anywhere. I truly appriciate ur time! ive checked voltage !

L8004 = 0.02v in and out
                                    L8003 = 0.02v in and out

U8004 (pin 8) = 13.50v
                                    U8004 (pin 16-26) = 0.02v

U8006 (pin 8) = 13.50v
                                    U8006 (pin 16-26) = 0.02v

is this what were looking for xD ? greetings daniel

Comment

iGPU core voltage is almost never relevant. Typically stays off unless there's a significant load on the iGPU. In general it spikes a couple of times during POST (but that may be depending on the platform, not sure).
                                      OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Originally posted by piernov View Post
                                        iGPU core voltage is almost never relevant. Typically stays off unless there's a significant load on the iGPU. In general it spikes a couple of times during POST (but that may be depending on the platform, not sure).
                                        damn there go's all hope what wud be next ?

Comment

Working...
                                        X