Electric oven tripping circuit breaker after turned on for 3-5 minutes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Electric oven tripping circuit breaker after turned on for 3-5 minutes

Today I reinstalled back the upper and lower elements, re-connect everything except the leaking upper element outer loop. Everything as there were, without additional RCCB.

Here's some unexpected, but interesting outcomes:
    - Set mode to Lower Heating only, temperate at 50c, this was the last time when it tripped in about 3-5 minutes. Not expected to trip now since I have tested it previously, in full power for more than 10 minutes without tripping. But it trip! After 6 minutes.
    - So I was thinking it could be caused by thermostat issue when it clicked off at set temperature.
    - I reset power, and rerun Lower Heating mode but now at at Max (~230c). After running for ~20 minutes, all is still good at it has not reached the set temperature. I then turn the temperature knob down slowly. I think point I was expecting it to trip again when the thermostat clicking off, but it didn't!
    - So I played around the temperature knob, turning it up and down to hear it clicking on and off. Nothing happened. I also set temperature at 150c and it clicked off and on without issue.
    - I also set mode to Upper and Lower Heating mode, repeat various temperature settings, all OK.
    - In all, after ~60 minutes of heating at various temperatures, including turning off and on a few times, all is good now.

So what could be the issue on 1st power up?

***I guess I will redo these tests again tomorrow, start with same Lower Heating mode, but set temperature higher at 150c to see if it would trip again at ~6 minutes point, or when it reaches the set temperature.

-

Comment

This is what happens when you have an intermittent problem sometimes it works and sometimes times it does not work

At this point I would not trust this element at all
      Here is why let just say that this element developed a semi short but not enough to trip the breaker right a way but enough to heat up your wiring and causing to catch on fire but you do not notice it right a way

This is not a good situation to be in

This is the reason why I would not trust this element any more

When I use to air conditioning service in a past life I would have customer who would bypass the grounding terminal on the unit because it was tripping the breaker and now it shocking them when they would touch the cabinet

Or

They would put in a bigger breaker so it would not trip

But the problem was that there compressor was semi shorting and need to be replaced
      Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 05-13-2020, 08:44 AM.
      9 PC LCD Monitor
      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
      30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
      10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
      6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
      1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
      25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
      6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
      1 Dell Mother Board
      15 Computer Power Supply
      1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
      2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
      All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Also make sure your connections are solid. If you have a loose connection, that can cause tripping.

Comment

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post
          This is what happens when you have an intermittent problem sometimes it works and sometimes times it does not work

At this point I would not trust this element at all
          Here is why let just say that this element developed a semi short but not enough to trip the breaker right a way but enough to heat up your wiring and causing to catch on fire but you do not notice it right a way

This is not a good situation to be in

This is the reason why I would not trust this element any more

When I use to air conditioning service in a past life I would have customer who would bypass the grounding terminal on the unit because it was tripping the breaker and now it shocking them when they would touch the cabinet

Or

They would put in a bigger breaker so it would not trip

But the problem was that there compressor was semi shorting and need to be replaced
          So if the coil shorted to the outer shell, this would caused an earth leak and trip the RCCB if the current leaked is >30mA. However, if the leakage is <30mA, then the earth wire could be heated up so much so that it could melt and burn?
          My my education, can you help me to understand how this work -that 30mA leakage current could heat up the earth wire so much to melt and burn it, where as the live and neutral wire connected to the element that draws ~5A are OK?

Comment

There is the outcome of tests done today:
            1) Set oven to Lower Heating mode, temperature at 150c:
            - it ran OK, nothing happened at 5 minute point!
            - at ~25 minutes, thermostat clicked off
            - at ~33 minutes, thermostat clicked on
            - playing around with various heating mode and temperature, all OK.
            - switched oven off after 60 minutes.

2) After letting cooled for few hours, I re-do a test: Lower Heating mode, temperature at 50c
            - at ~4 minutes point, thermostat clicked off
            - at ~15 minutes, thermostat clicked on.
            - set temperature to 100C
            - thermostat clicked on( and off after 10+ minutes)
            - switched of oven after 60 minutes.

3) I repeated #2 after let it cool for 2 hours - all is good!

Now I am suspecting if all the power trips in the past were caused by the thermostat clicked off at 50c after 3-5 minutes of heating up???

But somehow cured itself after heating up repeatedly???

Comment

Me personally I would not trust this element any more
              9 PC LCD Monitor
              6 LCD Flat Screen TV
              30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
              10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
              6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
              1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
              25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
              6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
              1 Dell Mother Board
              15 Computer Power Supply
              1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
              2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
              All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Well, considering I have replaced a lot of mechanical thermostats, and I have never seen one that trips breakers, I'm going to say the thermostat is unlikely. What seems more likely to me is that all the elements have absorbed water to some extent. If you are dead set against replacing the elements, which I understand, I'd continue the slow low bake. You don't want the water expanding quickly, and maybe causing other problems. A 50C oven is probably 100C in the elements or more when it's on. If I had to guess, you are probably looking at somewhere between 8 and 48 hours to get all the water out.

Comment

Originally posted by clearchris View Post
                  Well, considering I have replaced a lot of mechanical thermostats, and I have never seen one that trips breakers, I'm going to say the thermostat is unlikely. What seems more likely to me is that all the elements have absorbed water to some extent. If you are dead set against replacing the elements, which I understand, I'd continue the slow low bake. You don't want the water expanding quickly, and maybe causing other problems. A 50C oven is probably 100C in the elements or more when it's on. If I had to guess, you are probably looking at somewhere between 8 and 48 hours to get all the water out.
                  Yes, I intend to continue testing the elements in the quest of knowledge. At the end, if the elements are good and safe enough to use, then all is well. Otherwise, I would replace them, or look for a resale unit in the local online marketplace.

With this in mind, I have basically continue baking the elements. Started with Lower Heating mode at 50c, going up to 100c, and then switched to Upper and Lower Heating mode. I have ran it for ~3 hours today. I intend to do the same thing over the next days, but run it for ~6 hours at 100c.

The ultimate test will be to re-connect the upper element outer loop that was shorted to ground when last tested outside the oven. If this loop do not leak anymore, then it will prove that baking it works, and most importantly implying moisture absorbed after sitting idle for long period of the root cause.

Will update how it goes in few more days.

Comment

The bad part is this, if the safety GND failed and the RCCB also fail (do you check its function once a month) so if some touch the stove that will be dangerous.
                    Never stop learning
                    Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                    http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Someone needs to change this thread's index topic from "Circuit Breaker" to "RCD" or "GFCI" or RCCB even ... Ugh... this has been bothering me...

sorry, pet peeve...

Comment

Measure the current during normal operation and during the fault conditions.
                        Also, measure any current to the ground. RDC-s trip if there is insulation fault and current to the ground.
                        Circuit breakers trip if there is a short circuit or excessive overload.
                        There has to be insulation breakdown somewhere. Or excessive moisture.
                        What I see is that you are from tropical country, this means lots of moisture.
                        Perhaps, it's a good idea to have also moisture absorber installed.
                        If the heating element is defective, moisture could soak up inside the heating element.
                        Last edited by televizora; 05-19-2020, 11:33 PM.
                        Useful conversions. I don't "speak" imperial. Please use metric, if you want to address me.
                        1km=1000m=100000cm, 1inch=2.54cm, 1mile=1609.344meters, 1ft=30.48cm 1gal(US)=3.785liters, 1lb=453grams, 1oz=28.34grams

Comment

Thinking about it again, is it really a RCD trip or is it excessive current shorting when hot? The latter is not really likely but still plausible if a large amount of current if the outside shield is more conductive than the heating wire. This somewhat makes more sense because when running the heating elements outside of the grounded oven, there shouldn't be a current leak. However you should see hot spots on the element.

But either way, the element should be replaced. Not safe.

Comment

Originally posted by beetle1303 View Post
                            Yes, I intend to continue testing the elements in the quest of knowledge. At the end, if the elements are good and safe enough to use, then all is well. Otherwise, I would replace them, or look for a resale unit in the local online marketplace.

With this in mind, I have basically continue baking the elements. Started with Lower Heating mode at 50c, going up to 100c, and then switched to Upper and Lower Heating mode. I have ran it for ~3 hours today. I intend to do the same thing over the next days, but run it for ~6 hours at 100c.

The ultimate test will be to re-connect the upper element outer loop that was shorted to ground when last tested outside the oven. If this loop do not leak anymore, then it will prove that baking it works, and most importantly implying moisture absorbed after sitting idle for long period of the root cause.

Will update how it goes in few more days.
                            \
                            any updates??
                            i hv been repairing ovens and facing this kind of situation every now and then where oven trips if left unused for sometimes,

and from my experience if I force the suspected elements to heat up few times, it may trips a few times but after few trial, it will works without tripping. there are 2 oven that i rescue months ago now working flawlessly time being, will test it again this sunday if it will trips after i hv left it sitting there few weeks since last test....

Comment

I kinda forgotten this tread since I didn't get any email alert till now. My apology for not getting back on my final tests outcome.

This was the results:
                              - After a few days of intentional heat tests at various temperatures and duration, I reconnected the bad element. At lowest temperature setting 50C, it tripped within 3-4 minutes. I let it cooled for and hour and repeat - same outcome.
                              - I have since then disconnected this bad element, and use the oven regularly like 1-2 times weekly. Works like a normally good oven.
                              - When I received an email alert from @ktgohdt125 yesterday, I decided to re-try one more time - the result is still the same: it tripped within 3-5 minutes.

So, my take is, baking the presumed moisture soak element does not work..

Comment

well, thats a pity. i am also experiencing a similar issue but its on my mother's LG washing machine. a few days ago, she used the hot water function to wash her clothes and it tripped the circuit breaker after a few mins. i think the short was so bad that it actually tripped the breaker outside the flat at the power meter!!

she said she hadnt used the washing machine's hot water function for over a month and decided to use it because of the cold weather. when i restored power, she tried resuming the washing with hot water, but i could smell a distinct burning smell coming from the washing machine tho it didnt trip the power *yet*...

i told her not to use the hot water function and to turn it off and wash with regular cold tap water. it looks like the water heater in the washing machine shorted also wtf!

i wonder if the same can also happen to the water heater for showering if u dont shower with warm or hot water for awhile... hahaha! sometimes the weather in sinkieland is so hot, i dont use the water heater for showering at all...

ah well... i guess my mom's washing machine is focked and can no longer be used to wash with hot water. guess i will have to take care not to soil my clothes or make my clothes too smelly... hahaha!

Comment

Working...
                                X