Corsair ax1200 hard short

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corsair ax1200 hard short

Will post more details tomorrow, I have a corsair ax1200 psu in the workshop for repair, there is a hard short across the line in rails, investigation found two smd diodes D102 and D103 shorted on main board,

also several 15 ohm resistors gone bad and the diodes next to them
    see next pic

removed the daughter board (DSP) and located c841 which went had failed in a bad way, and D811 failed and D812 failed,

The DSP board provides as far as I can work out the 5 volt supply and standby stuff, I am not finding anything obviously shorted around the daughter board that would account for this damage.

pic below
    Attached Files

Re: Corsair ax1200 hard short

there are broken solder joints in those foto's

Comment

Well D102 and D103 were lifted by myself to confirm whether the bridge rectifier was bad. As for the remaining R117, D3, D4, R101, R123 on the main board, C841 on daughter (DSP) board and D812 and D111 also (DSP) daughter board

These are not so much bad solder joints although I appreciate they may look that way from the image but components that have actually failed several have badly overheated and in the case of D111, C841, R123 they have popped.

Unfortunately I am not able to locate a board schematic (no surprises there).

Comment

Any other thoughts on this, wondering if I should just go ahead and replace the failed components

Comment

will revive an old post but my AX1200 is dead. When I checked the D812 and Q817 on the Daughter Board are blown. Does anybody have the SMD part values? Can't find any schematics or values.

Comment

Unless llonen or someone else who has this PSU (and has it open on their bench) can provide these values, I think the best way to figure it out is to find a datasheet for all of the ICs on the daughterboard. In particular, is this daughterboard for the 5VSB circuit or for the APFC + PWM control. If it's for the latter, before wasting any more time trying to figure out small SMD component values, check the primary capacitor(s) for open or short-circuit, as well as proper capacitance and ESR. While at it, also check the APFC MOSFET(s), APFC diode, and main switching MOSFETs. I suspect this may be yet another APFC circuit failure, but we will surely need a lot more pictures and info to start working on this issue.

Comment

Working...
            X