Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ENERMAX Liberty ELT500AWT

Hello again.

Today the caps arrived and I soldered them in the circuit. They fit very good. Thx to Behemot.

Sadly I think something went wrong. I dont know if I short the circuit at one place. All other soldering joints are good imho. Just one went a little bit too big and contacted to another solder area.

Pls look at the pictures. Does anybody know something about this circuit area?

Don´t want to reasemble the psu before I make sure I didnt short the circuit.

Greets

TCC
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Tomcatciller; 09-25-2013, 07:27 AM.
    Successfully repaired: Benq FP93GX+ (bad capacitor) / Samsung 2233RZ (bad inverter) / Enermax Liberty ELT500AWT (bad capacitors)

Comment

Seems like +3,3 V. Use your multimeter set on diode test between +3,3 V and ground while PSU unplugged from power. If it will show 0, you got short there, if 6+, than it should be OK.

Double or even tripple check your soldering and also polarity. Quite often I swap caps the other way around (mostly on negative rails). Last time it took me half an hour of staring into the PSU to find it…
      Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
      Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Hm, my tools are very limited. I only have this mutimeter. (see picture) Can you tell me what setting on my mutimeter is the right one?

I can messure 3,3V on every psu cable connector? Or should I messure on the circuit?

I checked polarity of the caps several times. I soldered them correctly. I can compare with previous pictures and the markings of the board.

Greets

TCC
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Tomcatciller; 09-25-2013, 08:02 AM.
        Successfully repaired: Benq FP93GX+ (bad capacitor) / Samsung 2233RZ (bad inverter) / Enermax Liberty ELT500AWT (bad capacitors)

Comment

That white diode icon, right from ohm meter.

This tool is also useful for tracking paths and so, it makes some kind of buzz noise while in short.
          Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

I messured 3,3 V and ground on ATX power connector with multimeter diode setting. It shows 016 - 015 in both directions (red -black interchanged).

I shorted the two multimeter pins and the multimeter shows 001. So maybe no short circuit?

Some things are known from this thread:

(See picture for comparision): The black area is ground, because all the black wires go from it to the psu connectors.
            My question is: Is the blue area all together (including purple area with pin of my replaced cap)? Because I contacted the cap pin (red) with the blue area. Imho all areas which have a copper layer under it are connected to each other. So I should not made a short circuit, imho....

Just dont want to blow anything up.

EDIT:

Just want to mention. The big coil is connected to the blue area (3 pins).

EDIT2:

I checked +12V and +5V Rail with diode setting. No short circuit. (>>001)

EDIT3:

Hm, I just found another Enermax Liberty psu... I totally forgot it....

It is a Enermax Liberty ELT620AWT. Has this psu the same circuit like the ELT500AWT? So I can check if blue area is connected with the one cap pin.

Greets

TCC
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Tomcatciller; 09-25-2013, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Ok, I dissembled the ELT620AWT and found a similar psu circuit to the ELT500AWT. I measured it and find there is a connection between the one cap pin and blue area. So I should made no short circuit on ELT500AWT.

I reassembled the ELT500AWT and tested it with 3x 120 mm Fans and a water cooling unit. Everything worked so far, no blow ups.

Are there any measurements/tests I can do before I put the psu back in my pc?

Edit:

I put the psu back in the system and it works well. 5 V Line got more stable, but 12V and 3,3 V improved a little bit too. Thx to everyone. Maybe I will replace the caps on my ELT620AWT too. Atm I dont need this psu. So I must think about this...

Greetings form Germany

TCC

Greets

TCC
              Last edited by Tomcatciller; 09-25-2013, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomcatciller View Post
                My question is: Is the blue area all together (including purple area with pin of my replaced cap)?
                Yeah that's the same and seems like +3,3 V. It is primary side of output Pi filter, than there is coil connecting it to secondary side. Typical output filter setup is capacity - inductance - capacity.

Well, glad to hear another one is in order

I almost forgot, if you'll be cleaning it from dust in future, make sure you clean all the bloody yellow glue. It gets conductive, even though they used some "better" one in later revisions, even this thing gets conductive and may short something.
                Last edited by Behemot; 09-26-2013, 05:38 PM.

Comment

I'm finally getting around to fixing this PSU, but I got 1000uf 10v CTC 8x20, but I replaced it with a smaller 8x16 nichi HM series cap, does can size matter? I don't even remember what the ripple and esr was on the ctc.

Anyone want to clue me in?

Comment

Can size shouldn't matter, although the ESR may be slightly different. I think it should be fine especially on one of the minor rails. As long as the ripple current is the same or higher

Comment

If it's close enough, I don't think it matters if it's slightly lower. Especialy on rails such as +5 V SB, -5 V or -12 V where are only small current outputs.

Comment

It was a successful recap, power supply works.

Comment

I also brought one with me from home so I will be doing it in a few days…

Comment

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
                            I also brought one with me from home so I will be doing it in a few days…
                            Well I used these

http://www.digikey.com/product-searc...eywords=p14404

for the 3300uf 16v caps since I couldn't find them in 10x30, sat one butt flat and other one was raised a bit and used heatshrink tubing on the leads. I left it as is, since the wire harness and coil to the left of it made it pretty snug so I don't think no movement is going to occur.

Just a tip if you can't find any 10x30.

I also recommend 40w iron for the blobs on the board and 25w for the non-blobs.
                            Last edited by Mad_Professor; 10-08-2013, 02:50 PM.

Comment

I am currently the only distributor of high-quality D10x30 mm 3300uF/16V capacitors so I think that would not be a problem.

Comment

Digging this topic up from the grave, to let you know that I, too, managed to revive my ELT500AWT thanks to a set of new capacitors from a well known veteran member of this forum :-)

Comment

Working...
                                X