Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black Bricks

No not those, Power Supply bricks.
    You can't get into it, unless you Dremel in, so who would ever know what caps are in there.
    Jim

Re: Black Bricks

Vicor's VI-200 series modules use(d) tantalums. I've seen and smelled too many that vented, but tantalums are unpleasant that way.
    PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
    To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

I need to get a prescription for Tantalum. I heard it cures altziemers.
      Jim

Comment

Have you seen the gigantic ones for alienware laptops? They even have fans in them!!

Comment

I remember several years ago when a major name brand company was sizing their P/S, an external adapter, for a new desktop (or under desk) product, then in development. One early scheme would have been 185W, with a case temperature of 65C. The thought of some one wearing sandals accidentally touching this with their feet under their desk scared me. I also was wondering about the temperature rating of carpet. They did something a little more reasonable, and the product line flopped anyway.
          PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
          To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Working...
          X