Dead Hp Compaq PSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dead Hp Compaq PSU

I just picked up a Dead little Hp Comapaq d530 unit for free. Its has a P4, 2.66 Mhz CPU, 2 Gigs of 333mhz dual channel ram, a Barracuda 7200 rpm HD, and a Sony CD/RW DVD/ROM. All this stuff is shoved into one of those Small Form Factor cases. The PSU is all screwed up. Something let all the "factory filled" smoke out for real. I would think that it took a lightning strike. Upon inspecting the PSU I found a few burnt up things. There is a little IC that has exploded. At least thats what it looks like because a major portion of it is just gone! There is also a diode that looks to be fried, and there are two or three other blacked parts near it. The top side of the board also has a few black spots on it. I didn't pull it apart to see the bottom "trace side" of the boards as of yet.
    Well I took a regular P4 PSU, and plugged the system up. I also had to plug in the fan wire going to the burnt up PSU because the system gave me the "PSU Fan Not Working" warning on the boot. As it turns out, that little Hp Compaq screams compared to my Dell, 2.4 P4. My test was fair too. Each PC now has one gig of the ram that came with the Compaq in it. I think my Dell must be sick to have gotten shown up so badly by that little compaq. Oh I also put all the programs on the compaq that I use on the Dell. The only difference is that the Dell is on Xp Home, and the Compaq is on Xp Pro. I want to fix the little compaq up for my wife. I can do this three different ways. One, Maybe the smoked PSU can be fixed. Two, I could get a new PSU, or three, I could recase the compaq in a regular P4 Case. The compaq has a queer PSU to say the least so I bet a new one would be expensive. The old one may be beyond all hope of getting fixed. If I were to recase it in a regular case, how do I get around the CPU fan not working warning? Now when I say "fix" the old PSU I'm not fixing it. One of you guys will get that job for real. What do you good people think I should do? If you want to look up the PSU here are the numbers off it. Its a 185 watt unit and says P/N 308439-001. Replace with Compaq Spare 308617-001.
    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
    Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
    John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
    Rod Serling

Re: Dead Hp Compaq PSU

Those HP compaqs are pretty fast. Most have Asus motherboards.

I'm on a dell dimension 4600 right now with a 2.66ghz p4, and it is slow. Dells from this era are stable (if it has good caps as this does, about 4 years of non-stop running), but slow for some reason. This thing is terrible with games, a 1.4ghz p3 with 256mb of ram and a fx5200 would run like farcry (18-20 fps) on low settings, this thing has a 2.66 p4 with 512mb ram and a fx5200, and it barely (5-6fps) runs farcry on the lowest settings.

Comment

I would choose option number three : recase the compaq in a regular P4 case. Because, that will be cheaper and easier in my opinion.

As for the "PSU Fan Not Working" warning on the boot, i think you can easily fix it by using a three wire fan (with rpm sense) and plug it into ur mobo. Just let the mobo think there is a psu fan there (with rpm sense) and all will be smoothly going.

But maybe others have different opinion..
      days are so short when you actually do something..

Comment

@ yanz: thats exacty what i did with one of those HP boards..

put everything into a regular ATX case, wanted to boot it up.. psu fan warning *argh*

popped the PSU open and got the 2pin fan out, used a 3pin 80mm fan and soldered + & - to the original fan's connector (inside the PSU) and put the rpm sense line (yellow one most of the time) out of the PSU case and plugged it into the board. works perfectly fine and the PSU fan is still temp. controlled

Comment

I agree with Yanz and Scenic, it just might be easier to get a new case and PSU.

If the blown HP PSU is a Delta or Lite-On, maybe post some pics as it could be worthwhile fixing it. If not, maybe you could use it for parts - those units always have plenty of pi filters and coils and good input capacitors.

Comment

Originally posted by Junk Parts
            I just picked up a Dead little Hp Comapaq d530 unit for free. Its has a P4, 2.66 Mhz CPU, 2 Gigs of 333mhz dual channel ram, a Barracuda 7200 rpm HD, and a Sony CD/RW DVD/ROM. All this stuff is shoved into one of those Small Form Factor cases. The PSU is all screwed up. Something let all the "factory filled" smoke out for real. I would think that it took a lightning strike. Upon inspecting the PSU I found a few burnt up things. There is a little IC that has exploded. At least thats what it looks like because a major portion of it is just gone! There is also a diode that looks to be fried, and there are two or three other blacked parts near it. The top side of the board also has a few black spots on it. I didn't pull it apart to see the bottom "trace side" of the boards as of yet.
            Well I took a regular P4 PSU, and plugged the system up. I also had to plug in the fan wire going to the burnt up PSU because the system gave me the "PSU Fan Not Working" warning on the boot. As it turns out, that little Hp Compaq screams compared to my Dell, 2.4 P4. My test was fair too. Each PC now has one gig of the ram that came with the Compaq in it. I think my Dell must be sick to have gotten shown up so badly by that little compaq. Oh I also put all the programs on the compaq that I use on the Dell. The only difference is that the Dell is on Xp Home, and the Compaq is on Xp Pro. I want to fix the little compaq up for my wife. I can do this three different ways. One, Maybe the smoked PSU can be fixed. Two, I could get a new PSU, or three, I could recase the compaq in a regular P4 Case. The compaq has a queer PSU to say the least so I bet a new one would be expensive. The old one may be beyond all hope of getting fixed. If I were to recase it in a regular case, how do I get around the CPU fan not working warning? Now when I say "fix" the old PSU I'm not fixing it. One of you guys will get that job for real. What do you good people think I should do? If you want to look up the PSU here are the numbers off it. Its a 185 watt unit and says P/N 308439-001. Replace with Compaq Spare 308617-001.
            iirc that is one of the units that was poured full of that nasty brown glue.
            it becomes conductive and BANG!!
            just recase the system and you will be fine.
            i see lots of these and if you get them before they blow up and clean out the glue they will be ok too.

Comment

Yes Kc8adu I'm going to go with the recase on this unit. This would give me better cooling, more power, and room for more drives too. I just may try to get around the PSU fan warning by wiring up a simple three wire case fan, and feeding the control signal back to that PSU rpm header on the mobo. I can get a Dell Dimension 4550 case for free right now from my buddy. I wonder if I can get this Hp Compaq mobo to fit in the Dell case???? I have a "back up" Dell PIII under my desk but I do not wish to bust it up for this repair project. That old PIII has more heart than all of this newer junk that I have for real!
              "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
              Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
              John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
              Rod Serling

Comment

Ok I have the Compaq all broken down in pieces now. I'm putting it in a junk raidmax case that I had here. Need to get some nuts for the four screws that hold the CPU cooler bracket to the mobo. I also need to find a few more brass stand offs for mounting up the mobo in the case. The fun part as always will figuring out the front pannel USB's, headphone jack, power button, and indicator lights. I'm going to use an older ATI All In Wonder Video card in it now that the AGP slot will have a full sized bay to play in. I wish this flu would go away. Its kicking my ass. Taking that PC apart was all that I did yesterday, and it took me all day! It should have taken me twenty minutes to do that job. I guess I need so beer or something....
                Mark Twain

John Paul Jones

Rod Serling

Comment

Cut off the P9 connector from the old 308439-001 PS, connect it to a 1k resistor and put the connector on the motherboard. On a cold boot, it will not issue the fan error. It does, however, on a warm boot. Don't know why...

I've also heard that just dead shorting that connector works as well. Never tested it.

I brought a D530 to life by using a surrogate ATX power supply and the 1k resistor trick, until I got my mitts on a replacement.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Personally, I'd find a PSU on eBay and throw that in, but used PSU's are nothing but trouble sometimes. Each has an advantage and disadvantage.

Comment

If you want to look up the PSU here are the numbers off it. Its a 185 watt unit and says P/N 308439-001. Replace with Compaq Spare 308617-001.
                      185 watt? Talk about under-rated.

Can you plug a fan to the fan connector on the mobo that used to have the 2 wires coming from the 185 watt P/S? I would think that would be suffice to trick it.

Comment

my dad's d530 has a delta psu. the model number starts with dps.
                        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by lucky13
                          185 watt? Talk about under-rated.
                          Hi Lucky

Actually, 185 watt isn't under-rated at all. It's adequate to power most reasonably modest systems.

The big problem is Over-Rated power supplies. The ones that should be marked "185w" but are instead marked "300w", "400w" or even "550w".

Over-rated junk leads people to believe that any computer needs at least a 300, 400 or 500 watt PSU just to operate and 1kw plus if you're going to get serious.
                          It just isn't so. Check the various online PSU calculators.

I'll take an honestly rated 185w PSU any day over a fraudulently-rated anything.

I'd say recap because it's probably a well-engineered unit and worth saving.

Good Luck,
                          Keri
                          Last edited by KeriJane; 08-06-2009, 04:57 AM.
                          The More You Learn The Less You Know!

Comment

Originally posted by KeriJane
                            Hi Lucky

Actually, 185 watt isn't under-rated at all. It's adequate to power most reasonably modest systems.

I'll take an honestly rated 185w PSU any day over a fraudulently-rated anything.

I'd say recap because it's probably a well-engineered unit and worth saving.

Good Luck,
                            Keri
                            Hi Keri,

I forgot to add the

So it should read...

185 watt? Talk about under-rated

Of course I know the old fashion way of rating them....not the "mine is bigger than yours" syndrome.

Persoanally I judge p/s by their weight; the heavier the better

Comment

Working...
                            X