Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My new (used) Fluke 87

Originally posted by LDSisHere View Post
    Did that guy really just drill through the PCB where he guessed it would be OK? I hope he had X-Ray vision or something.
    Using a screw is has two big problems. One, it can be conductive if it touches a trace through normal movement. Two, the screw can be dislodged if the meter is dropped which then makes it very dangerous to use.

If the price of the 85 was $20 + free shipping, I would be all over it.

PS. The description also notes the fuses are good, but as I found out in a 77 III auction that I won, it doesn't mean they are the correct rated fuses or HRC.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I recently purchased a Fluke 87 V. The reason I mention it is because it has Hi RES mode that gives it 0.01mv resolution. Its going to be very useful for finding mainboard shorts.
      It would have been cheaper on eBay. I got it from Element14 instead, no need to leave feedback. And it was delivered on the next day.
      Last edited by rievax_60; 12-13-2013, 01:00 AM. Reason: extra

Comment

Hmm... I ended up getting a "Neused" Fluke 77 series II (I think). Well the first thing I had to try is to compare with my other meters. It matched my Tenma for a 8xNiMH battery pack I had on hand to test, and it seemed to track my Tek to the LSB. Unfortunately I'll have to redo measurement comparisons as the batteries I tested before have drifted quite a bit... Plus I'm sure all of my meters have drifted since the last time I compared them.

One thing I was kind of surprised and dismayed at of the Fluke: the continuity beeper is slow like my Cen-tech 96308. I'd expect more out of a Fluke compared to a crappy Cen-tech... My Mastech and Tenma meters have instant beeping when continuity is detected (or at least under 50 ohms or so).

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
          Unfortunately I'll have to redo measurement comparisons as the batteries I tested before have drifted quite a bit...
          As I might have mentioned before, when I do a meter comparison, I usually hookup them simultaneously to an ATX power supply thanks to multiple molex connectors. I can get 5 or 6 measuring simultaneously.

One thing I was kind of surprised and dismayed at of the Fluke: the continuity beeper is slow like my Cen-tech 96308.
          Not all Flukes (past or present) have the near instaneous continuity beep.

The original 70 series I/II/III, 25, 27 and 8025 don't have near instaneous continuity beep.

The 80 series I/II/III/IV/V, 77 IV, 170 series, 113-117, 10-12, 187, 189, 27 II and 28 II all do near instaneous continuity beep.

As for the other series 8xxx, 110-112, 183, 185, 101, 106, 107, 15B, 17B, 18B I'm not 100% sure as I haven't used them yet.
          Last edited by retiredcaps; 12-15-2013, 12:16 AM.
          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I just picked up a nice Fluke 87 V for about $200 on EB, complete with probes. No manual but that's available electronically. I'm considering getting it calibrated but don't know if there is sufficient value for the expense. Has anyone here done their own calibration or know of a good way to DIY? I used to work in a manufacturing facility for very esoteric high-end stuff so I'm familiar with the requirements - but I don't really need NIST traceability for fixing some TV's.

Comment

i dont think they drift.

Comment

Originally posted by theojt View Post
                I'm considering getting it calibrated but don't know if there is sufficient value for the expense. Has anyone here done their own calibration or know of a good way to DIY?
                It is highly unlikely the Fluke 87V has drifted from its calibration spec. I have purchased a lot of used and abused Fluke meters and ALL of them were within its calibration spec (even after repair).

DIY is impossible for the average user. There are several steps to complete and all must be done using expensive equipment.

Getting it sent in for calibration check will cost you probably $60 to $100 USD.

If you want a really cheap, but potentially suspect reference, there are plenty of "voltage references" on ebay for $5 USD + free shipping.

Huge threads about it over at eevblog. Search for AD584.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/metrol...nits-worth-it/
                --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Working...
                X