Startech PSU (ATNG PS-300S)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Startech PSU (ATNG PS-300S)

Just pulled this one out of my sister's computer. She lives out-of-state, and brought the computer to me to look over, not because it was having issues, but just because I hadn't seen it in a few years. Apparently since about when I put this PSU in.

It's sold under the Startech brand, but the main label says that it's from the ATNG Power Co., LTD, model PS-300S. It is an AMD recommended PSU, Manufactured February 2002. Unfortunately, i wanted to check the caps, and therefore had to tear through the warranty stickers to open the case up.

PSU has been operating normally, but found four 2200uf 10v caps bulged, two of which were leaking. The brand on those caps is "FULLTEC", and they have a marking of "FHA" on the side.

The big daddy caps are Fuhjyyu 680uf 200v caps with the following markings on the side:
    (M)P10
    CE85*C
    Vent

They still appear to be normal, but we all know the Fuhjyyu reputation... There is also one lone "PCE-Tur" cap on here as well, 2200uf, 16v, 105*c. It seems to be uneffected...

Pics to come.
    Ludicrous gibs!

Re: Startech PSU (ATNG PS-300S)

One time I looked at one of these nice StarTech power supplies and when I looked at the two blue LED fans it had they were generic and silent, but they were so weak you couldn't even feel air coming out of the fan. That thing had an "AMD Recommended" sticker on it with a nice shiny blue casing but the fans were weak. StarTech power supplies suck.
    Last edited by Newbie2; 12-23-2005, 08:51 PM.
    My gaming PC:
    AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3GHz Six-Core CPU (Socket AM3)
    ASUS M4A77TD AMD 770 AM3 Motherboard
    PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5 PCI-Express x16 3.0 Graphics Card
    G.SKILL Value Series 16GB DDR3-1333 RAM (4x4GB dual channel)
    TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD (x2)
    WD Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD
    ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channel PCI sound card
    Antec HCG-750M 750W ATX12V v2.32 80 PLUS BRONZE Power Supply
    Antec Three Hundred Mid-Tower Case
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit

Comment

Here's the bad caps. All four in this shot are bulged, and the two to the left are starting to leak.

Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

I've used a few of these PSUs over the years, and have had no problems until this one, though this is the only one I've ever opened up recently. I feel better that the thing only had a 2 year warranty, and so expired in feb 2004. It's funny that they didn't even try to cover up the fact that they don't manufacture the PSU. They just added their own small logo sticker, but didn't try to otherwise cover up the manufacturer's label.

EDIT- by the way, this is the Plain Jane model, no flashy lights or anything. I bought them because they were heavy, and had a rolled steel grill on the fan, so were quite quiet while still having decent airflow. They claim to have a temp controlled fan, but poking around here, I don't find a thermistor anywhere.
        Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Are you going to recap the power supply dood?

Can you please take pictures of the exterior of this power supply?
          My gaming PC:

Comment

here's the pics of the exterior:

NOTE- this psu does not have the 4-pin auxiliary connector for newer AMD boards. The machine this came out of is an original Athlon 800mhz processor and does not require the other connector. The connectors this has are as follows- 20 pin ATX connector, (6) 4 pin molex connectors, and (2) 4 pin floppy connectors.
            Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Also, I do not plan to recap this at the present time. I pulled it all apart and looked at the bottom of the board, and it looks like a complete mess to me. I've never seen such nasty grounding pads! One of them has about 6 components running into it, all under a massive blob of solder. Not anywhere near as neat as the underside of a motherboard. I'll hang on to the PSU, though, and either decide to sell it or recap it at a later date.
              Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

I've seen the big blobs of solder on the underside of boards that come out of power supplies before and they are horrible. My dad think at some factories were soldiering is involved they use soldering machines with solder everything on the board at the same time, creating the big blobs of solder.

And, thanks for the exterior pictures.
                My gaming PC:

Comment

PSU PCBs aren't as nice as motherboards. They're cheap single-sided PCBs - but at least the soldering is easier.

Comment

Working...
                  X