Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NSpire PS design and assembly quality

NSpire NSP-405V2 / PSP-575S2 with 120mm fan
    I've used many NSpire PSs for the last couple years. They aren't the best but I've never had any problems with them. I randomly picked a new one and decided to open it up and nose around. This is what I saw... (see pics)

JunFu (on the bad list) 0808 date code and AsiaX caps. Is it possible they have fixed their past quality problems?
    ...and a assembly failure.

I'm just one guy. I can't say that this one random power supply represents all Nspire ps'. Since I've had only a few (single digits) out of hundreds fail, I am still reasonably confident in them.

What do you think?
    Attached Files

Re: NSpire PS design and assembly quality

AsiaX (formerly known as Fujiyuu,) and JunFu are both bad. Don't count on them being any better than they were before.

Somewhat complete input filter, bridge rectifier, ok sized heatsinks, and big transformer suggest that it is of quality just below deer/allied. Needs more heatsink and we need to know what parts are on them.

Comment

I'm pretty sure that when I took the cover off some silicone stuck to the cover and pulled the filter cap off it's solder pad. I fixed it.

I'll get more pics.

Comment

a couple more pics...
        Attached Files

Comment

I remember deer. used their AT and ATX PSs a long time ago. terrible terrible..... I wouldn't say NSpire are as bad as them.... but yer da boss.
          I didn't see AsiaX on the bad list...should add them then. The name is silly enough to be suspicious.

Comment

Its CWT. A old CWT design. Not too bad. Just replace those caps.

Deer has gotten better from what they use to be (see pics)

Attached Files

Comment

That is indeed a Chanell Well unit as indicated by the transformer. Seems they still like to use those Fuhjyyu caps (now under the name of Asia-X).
              Overall, the PSU looks alright from the pictures you posted. Definitely not CWT's best, but should be at least a notch better than cheap gutless units.
              How much money are you paying for these units and what is their wattage rating?

Comment

Well, heck... They run cool and quiet. No noticeable RF noise (really cheap/weak PSs make my AM radio whistle or scream). Problems have been rare out of hundreds used.
                I don't know what to say. I'm embarrassed that I said anything good about this Nspire. I'm distraught...torn.
                It's rated for 405 Watts continuous. It's not used for anything power hungry.
                I've used it's 600Watt big brother without problems running 24/7 for over a year. Sometime soon I'll take it out of service and examine it.

Comment

Don't get me wrong, CWT is pretty good (higher wattage corsairs and thermaltakes and countless others,) but most of their low end stuff is just run of the mill power supplies that have low efficiency and usually close to spec ripple.

Not sure about how well it will run it's ratings, the transformer looks suitable for 405w, but depends on whats attached to the heatsinks. Usually CWT does a good job of that though. For longevity's sake, just replace those caps, and it should be fine.

Comment

Here's some pics of the Nspire 600Watt bigger brother.
                    Clean, good solder. Just one big cap. SamXon small caps. I see the CWT label.

My 10+ year old digital camera takes very good pics in full light but can't do macro. I hold the camera about 1.5ft away and zoom in. If more pics of certain parts are wanted, let me know.

I've been having stability problem with the computer. I suspect the video card Asus 9600GT. I definitely wanted to pull the PS and give it a look too.

Thanks!
                    Attached Files

Comment

That primary cap is a Fuhjyyu.

Guess it was only a matter of looking seeing CWT manufactured it.

It was so promising too Samxon all good then one of those caps to screw it all up .
                      Last edited by Krankshaft; 09-21-2009, 03:54 PM.
                      Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Crud. That is disappointing. It's got that round logo and says HP3. A rotten Fuhjyyu onion by any other name..... I measured low ESR on all of them. I am a little surprised to see only one 390uF primary cap.

Comment

Interesting... I have the same CWT 600w model except it's branded by Xclio. IIRC Thermaltake also uses this model but I don't know what caps they use.

Minor differences here and there but Xclio uses a Rubycon for primary. Oddly enough, it's missing two Y caps compared to post #10.

Comment

Originally posted by golemmaster
                            Crud. That is disappointing. It's got that round logo and says HP3. A rotten Fuhjyyu onion by any other name..... I measured low ESR on all of them. I am a little surprised to see only one 390uF primary cap.

APFC. Just needs a single higher voltage, lower uF cap compared to no or passive PFC.

Comment

Originally posted by Krankshaft
                              That primary cap is a Fuhjyyu.
                              Nope, that's not Fuhjyyu. The logo looks very similar, but the capacitor is actually made by Hitachi, as indicated by the "HP3" mark.

APFC, Samxon caps... Looks like a good power supply.

Comment

Hitachi! That logo looked familiar but I couldn't place it until now.

Nice.

Comment

Working...
                                X