Dell W1700 LCD Rev00

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dell W1700 LCD Rev00

I have the same problem as many of you have described. I can turn the TV on and it will show a picture for about a second and then the picture just goes black. The light stays green but no picture. The sound also works fine. I went ahead and took out the backlight inverter but I dont know exactly what needs to be replaced. I also dont know where to buy the replacement parts either. Here is a picture of the board.

Is it the big green caps in the center of the board?

One more thing, where are the fuses that should be checked.

The weird thing to me is that some of you that replaced the caps ended up with the screen coming on and then off again which is the problem I have.

Comment

This may be a little hard to see but I put a magnifying glass above the two fuses under the caps and the left one F2 is blown. In the picture you can see it is a little darker. Would this be because of one of the caps? Should I just replace the fuse and forget about the caps?

Here is the best picture I could get of the fuses, I scanned them at 1200dpi

How do I even go about replacing this fuse? I wouldn't have a clue how to, or even what size. Would it be a better idea for me to just get a fuse thats not a surface mount screw and solder it in there but some small wire leads? I am stumped but would really like to try to do all of this my self as I don't have $90 right now

Thanks in advance,
      Chad

Comment

get an ohmmeter and test them.harbor freight often has a dvm for $3 so get 2 incase you have a newbie accident .
        replace the 2 green caps too.

Comment

what is dvm? Digital volt meter?

I have one but I am confused how that will help me. The guy at my local electronics store gave me two pico fuses and said that I should just put one of them in place of the fuse thats blown. I am going to do it, I really don't have anything to lose. No one has the caps rated at 220uf, 25v, 105 degrees. They had a 35 volt but no 25. I am just going to try to replace the fuse and see what happens. I might even just short it out all together. I will try the pico fuse he gave me first.

Comment

just as well he doesnt have the caps.
            they must be low esr and from a good(jap)mfr
            and dvm,vom dvom,ect are this. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=90899

Comment

Thanks to this forum was able to repair my Dell W1700.

I would recommend purchasing the MoniServ T501045.00MSS from lcdpart.com. They also offer a refurbished Ambit T501045.00 but with both being at the same price, I opt'd for the new and improved Inverter. The ordered was placed on Friday and had the part by Monday. Instructions that they offer are good, but just a couple of tips. The back cover doesn't come off all that easy so take your time. Also in order to get to the inverter once you have the case apart, you need to remove the speakers, along with the foil tape and a couple screws on each side in order to lift the cover as shown in the instructions. Total time was about 1 hr 15 mins. But well worth it.

Cheers

Hope this might help someone in my same situation in the future.

Comment

fuses?

where can i/we ge the fuses and does anyone know the amperage?

they have a NF silkscreened across them. i would think Nano fuse but , i am just pulling straws out of a hat. that fuses short to the caps so if the fuse is blown, the cap should be replaced anyway.

o yeah, i'm dave, new to the forum and i am trying to fix a display for a family member.

dave

Comment

The fuses are LittelFuse 2 amp SMD units.

Part No. 429 002

irie,
                  --cap'n bob

Comment

Hey all. Just wondering if anyone out there has gone out and replaced their inverter instead of just fixing the caps, and if so - do you have the old inverter still lying around? I bought one of these monitors off of eBay, but the inverter wasn't just fouled - it was completely missing! Irritates the hell out of me but that's eBay for ya. So yeah, anyone want to sell me a busted OEM W1700 inverter?

Comment

SUCCESSFUL REPAIR!!!!!

Parts required:

2 -- 220uF/35V electrolytic caps (RS part # 272-1029)

2 -- Littelfuse 2 Amp SMD fuses (part # 429 002)

Take great care in installing the fuses. . .they're very, very small and require a bit of skill in applying just enough heat to flow the solder properly.

Be sure to do a continuity test after installing fuses to verify proper installation.

Of course, observe correct polarity on the caps.

The 35V caps are a bit more robust than the stock 25V units. Physically, they are slightly larger, but it's not a problem.

Total cost: <$6.00

irie,
                      --cap'n bob

Comment

Take some good 105°c Low esr replacements, like Rubycon YXF and you don`t need any higher voltage.
                        The smallest cap from this series and in this voltage area features an endurance of 5000h @105°c.
                        A cheap general purpose cap like Yaego or Jamicon will never reach this, even if it is far more overspect than just 10v more.

Comment

Originally posted by bob huntsman
                          SUCCESSFUL REPAIR!!!!!

Parts required:

2 -- 220uF/35V electrolytic caps (RS part # 272-1029)

2 -- Littelfuse 2 Amp SMD fuses (part # 429 002)

Take great care in installing the fuses. . .they're very, very small and require a bit of skill in applying just enough heat to flow the solder properly.

Be sure to do a continuity test after installing fuses to verify proper installation.

Of course, observe correct polarity on the caps.

The 35V caps are a bit more robust than the stock 25V units. Physically, they are slightly larger, but it's not a problem.

Total cost: <$6.00

irie,
                          --cap'n bob

where did you get these fuses?

Comment

http://www.socalfuse.com

Comment

thanks bob for your hard work. now i can get this one fixed.
                              hey , if anyone else needs one (there's) fixed, i would be glad to do the work and i am sure that maybe a few others would want to help out.
                              Pm me or email me directly.

dave

Comment

Hi,

I replaced my caps and fuses with the ones you guys listed as correcting the faulty inverter board. But mine just does what some other peoples' monitors do, the light turns on for a second then turns right back off.

Does anyone know a fix to this? Or possibly the reason for it doing this?

I would appreciate any help so I don't have to buy a new monitor!

Comment

Did you check the continuity on the SM fuses to make sure that they were properly soldered in??

At the outset, I only gave the repair a 50% chance of working, based on what I'd previously read on this thread, but gave it a shot anyway!! For $6, what the heck. . .

The new (improved) inverter board is only about $80. . .much cheaper than buying a whole new monitor!!

good luck,
                                  --bob

Comment

Update!

I now have two dell W1700s. The first one I've owned for about two years, and just about 6 months ago had the inverter problem. One day I switched AV inputs and the backlight dropped out never to be seen again. It would come on for a moment and then switch back off. I replaced the 2 caps and 2 fuses and it's been working ever since. (Thanks!)

The second monitor I bought off of ebay. Non-working, spent about $100 for the monitor + shipping. When it got here, the inverter board was completely missing. Finally found one, bought it for $15 including shipping, and replaced the caps and fuses. Now, the CCFLs will come on for a moment but turn back off. I noticed what looked like arcing damage on one of the "coil-looking-components" (inductor maybe?) so I removed it. It's the small black discs with magnet wire coiled around them. Anyone know what these are and where I can get a replacement? How about some help for those of us with the "Repaired but not Fixed" blues?

Comment

Originally posted by bob huntsman
                                      Did you check the continuity on the SM fuses to make sure that they were properly soldered in??

At the outset, I only gave the repair a 50% chance of working, based on what I'd previously read on this thread, but gave it a shot anyway!! For $6, what the heck. . .

The new (improved) inverter board is only about $80. . .much cheaper than buying a whole new monitor!!

good luck,
                                      --bob
                                      Where can I Purchase The new (improved) inverter board is only about $80

Comment

they are coils. they may have some markings on them , not sure. a mouser catalog will do you good, it will do all of you repairing guys some good.....

so, i changed my fuses and caps today..... the fuses blew again .... so i have to find the cause of the current surge. i will take another look tomorrow and i will order the parts.
                                        i will let you know. i have an idea what is causing the issue but i could be 100% sure if i have a working board.....

dave

Comment

Read the rest of this thread. There are several links to the place that sells the replacement inverter board.

Comment

Working...
                                          X